Finally - Goal!!! Next steps?

Options
I hit my goal weight today (losing 56lbs total) and am now utterly determined to keep the weight off and maybe even lose a couple of extra lbs. Any tips, ideas, support or experiences from MFP members in the same position would be very welcome. I also want to say a real thank you to all my MFP friends, I literally couldn't have done it without you, your support is so appreciated. Thank you guys. :-)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal weight today (losing 56lbs total) and am now utterly determined to keep the weight off and maybe even lose a couple of extra lbs. Any tips, ideas, support or experiences from MFP members in the same position would be very welcome. I also want to say a real thank you to all my MFP friends, I literally couldn't have done it without you, your support is so appreciated. Thank you guys. :-)

keep doing what you did to lose weight, only eat a bit more!

settign fitness goals is a good idea as well, so you have something to focus on instead of it all being about losing weight.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I got a fitbit at that point to measure my exercise better as I was upping my calories and to help me try to hit 10000 steps a day. I must be way more sedentary than other people here, because although I walk to work every day, teach on my feet, and run up and down stairs all day, I have to make an effort to do that.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

I got a fitbit at that point to measure my exercise better as I was upping my calories and to help me try to hit 10000 steps a day. I must be way more sedentary than other people here, because although I walk to work every day, teach on my feet, and run up and down stairs all day, I have to make an effort to do that.

I'm in the Fitbit gang too. It's just the best and easiest way of maintaining weight and a great motivator too.

Congratulations on reaching your goal!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I agree with the others about simply eating more and setting fitness goals. I've been transitioning to maintenance since January 20. I do still feel like I'm transitioning as I get used to the additional calories. I'm working with a trainer for heavy lifting so I'm actually at a 200 calorie surplus for now, and that may go up to a 400 surplus. So my daily calorie goal has increased by a total of 800 calories since January 20. It took some getting used to. I did do it somewhat gradually--adding 100 calories a week for a few weeks; then bumped up per the trainer's recommendation more quickly. Doing it gradually helped me because I think if I had just bumped up all that way at once, I may have found myself at Dairy Queen.

For me, I've found that sticking with healthy foods--just more of them is important. If I just let myself splurge with the 800 extra calories, eating sweets/junk just makes me want more; and before I'd know it, I'd be way overeating. (This did happen one day--lesson learned!) I've always included treats, and I still do. But I think about them and how they fit my macros. And I'm mindful about how they may set off a trigger to crave more.

I can't believe the volume of food I'm eating--especially since I learned how to get the most from my calories while losing; and I love the healthier things on my menu. If anything, I'm still having a hard time with having too many calories left over late in the day. So I'm working to increase the size of my earlier meals. (This was a challenge for me while losing too.)

I've been seeing more and more people in my friends list getting Fitbits, and I'm tempted. I asked my trainer what he thinks of them, and he said that he likes the Garmin Vivofit because it can pair with an HRM. He said that otherwise, they're "trinkets." He said, "You know if you need to be more active. If you've had a lazy day, come in and do 20 minutes of cardio." With that said, I think it can just be fun to compare with my MFPals, so I might still get one--even if he thinks it's silly. I wish the Fitbit Force were still available to buy, but Fitbit said they're working on something else exciting, so I may wait to see if they make an announcement soon. Maybe their next product will sync with an HRM or something--one can only hope.

Oh, and you probably will continue to lose a bit, especially if you do a slower transition to maintenance.

Good luck, and feel free to add me as a friend!
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I recently hit goal. I am keeping up the exercise, and this week I am not logging just because I am totally burned out on it. I will keep monitoring things though as bikini season is still a few months away. I want to keep the weight off. So I am in monitor and maintain mode which may mean a week or two of restricting calories back to weight loss mode, but overall should be relatively easy to maintain. As long as I don't obsess over ever ounce of fluctuation on the scale. Congrats on reaching your goal!!!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    As my profile quote says:

"Aim higher than a number on the scale. Test your physical prowess."

In other words, now that you're at goal weight, push yourself to be the best version of yourself. I do it by trying to be as strong as possible.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Reached my goal weight last week, trying to decide if I should make any changes, or give it a few more weeks eating at a deficit to lose a couple of extra pounds as a buffer. I do have a FitBit and think that should make it relatively easy to maintain. I'm also only at a 250 cal deficit right now (and I go over, plenty) so I don't think there will be much of a change in the amount of food I'm eating on a day to day basis. What I've done for the last year is really focused on awareness of my how many calories are in food, making food choices (wine or dessert, not both) and moving more (getting at least 10K steps each day and working to add in strength training too) so I think this is very sustainable.

Good luck!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! 56 pounds is incredible and I commend you.

I have been maintaining for 8 months now and it is different from losing.

Although I have my goal set to maintain, I found I much prefer to finish the day with a couple hundred calorie buffer than get uptight about measuring every serving etc. So, once I reached goal I naturally lost a few more pounds but I still like seeing lots of green rather than only 50 calories safe. If I know I have some event or meal that is going to put me over I adjust my exercise or make sure I have a better than average week.

I'm sure you will do fine. Breathe in that sweet maintenance air, you worked hard for it!
  • salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Congrats on reaching your goal weight! That is a tremendous accomplishment!

My best tip after almost 2 years of maintenance is to develop a plan for maintainence, just as you had a plan for losing weight. Maintenance doesn't just happen.

I've blogged about having a maintainence plan and what's in my plan specifically if you'd like to check it out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/themedalist/view/what-s-your-maintenance-plan-624676