Lunches with no microwave

Options
CassieR6
CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
Ok, so my boyfriend does pool maintenance so he is in a work truck all day. No microwave and no fridge. So I am trying to think of ideas for his lunch. He currently takes a turkey sandwich and a peanut butter and jelly daily. I am trying to find new things to mix it up for him, otherwise he will get burnt out real quick on those two. So any ideas I would greatly appreciate!! Also trying to keep it healthy since he too is trying to loose some weight.

Replies

• rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Salads with cold meats like tuna or pre grilled chicken. I like to put cottage cheese on mine too. I had a chopped salad the other day with spinach and arugula, green apples, cucumber, broccoli, sunflower seeds and tuna on top, it was delicious.
    Wraps instead of sandwiches.
    Crackers and dips.
    All of this can be kept in a cooler with ice packs.
    Raw veggies and fruits.
    Nuts
    Hard boiled eggs
    Greek yogurt
    Heat soup to boiling and put it in a thermos, it should still be warm by lunch time.
  • tectactoe
    tectactoe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My favorite "non-heated" sandwiches that I have at least twice a week at work:

Chicken Salad:
    -1 can chunk chicken (I've also used ~3-4oz chicken breast, just shred/chop it up first)
    -2 tbsp mayo
    -2 tbsp nonfat greek yogurt
    -1 tsp brown mustard (or regular)
    -1 tsp red wine vinegar (can also use 1/2 tsp red wine & 1/2 tsp white vinegar for same effect)
    -salt & pepper to taste

Just mix all that **** together in a bowl, it makes amazing chicken salad. Sometimes I also chop up grapes, apples, celery, green onion, raisins, or whatever else I have on hand that I think would taste nice with it. Eat it on an english muffin, thin bagel, bread, in a tortilla, or even with crackers.

Egg Salad:
    -2 hard boiled eggs
    -2 tbsp mayo
    -2 tsp mustard of your choice
    -salt & pepper

Hard boil the eggs, peel, then chop/dice them up. Put them in a bowl & mix all ingredients together. Easy egg salad! Can also include celery, green onion, etc., & served in the same mediums as above.
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Those sound yummy! But he doesn't like Chicken Salad. Maybe I can switch it to tuna salad for him. :)
  • slimmalikah
    slimmalikah Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    for tuna salad I use avocado instead of mayo - super rich and yummy with good fats and more filling!!! Can you tell I just had that for lunch....:smile:
  • tectactoe
    tectactoe Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Those sound yummy! But he doesn't like Chicken Salad. Maybe I can switch it to tuna salad for him. :)

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I've used the exact same recipe but subbed in canned tuna, canned crab, & even canned shrimp lol. Delicious & easy either way!
  • owenmhartley
    owenmhartley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato wedges are awesome, one of your five a day I eat them cold every day with chicken cos I drive all day
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    for tuna salad I use avocado instead of mayo - super rich and yummy with good fats and more filling!!! Can you tell I just had that for lunch....:smile:

I like this, too. It's tasty and filling. It's become my favourite way of preparing tuna for sandwiches.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options

There's those already made lunch to go Tuna salad thingies I just discovered today. They are awesome but the mint tastes like crap.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If he'd like hot food, get a wide-mouthed Thermos flask for soups and stews (or even leftover pasta dishes). That's what I used to do before I came to an office with a microwave.