Undecided About Gall Bladder Surgery

Options
Hi all. Just some history: I lost 70-something pounds (probably closer to 80 but I didn't start tracking until I joined this site), and it took me about 60 weeks to do (with one pregnancy happening smack in the middle of that time). I'm now about 30 pounds from my goal weight, which I'm realizing might be a bit too lean so maybe only 20 something from my true goal. I'm sure I'll know more when I get there.

Last week I had an attack that lasted about 4 hours and was extremely painful. I'm normally a pretty clean eater, and this attack hit after my first taste of McDonalds in a couple of years. Nothing since, and no digestive issues. I saw a doctor because I was concerned about it being gall bladder related given my pregnancy and weight loss. The ultrasound showed "sludge". The surgeon is recommending surgery. I'm waiting to get a second opinion today. The surgery would be laproscopic and based on my history, I think I'll probably have a very easy recovery.

Has anyone been in this situation? How did you handle the "sludge" diagnosis, and are you happy with that decision?

Thanks all in advance.

Replies

• Brelynn
    Brelynn Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I had had several gall stone attacks that I basically just put up with....then I had one that resulted in pancreatitis and I had to be hospitalized for 9 days. I was told that I should have the gall bladder removed asap as another attack could result in pancreatitis which can be serious. I had the surgery and everything went well, but I have continued to have some digestive issues on and off since...may be because of the surgery or because I had taken nexium for heartburn for several years.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options

The surgeon is recommending surgery.

Listen to the surgeon not opinions on the internet.

A good friend of mine just had hers taken out as the attacks started coming more frequently(and more painfull) and now feels so much better.
  • Persian99
    Persian99 Posts: 48 Member
    Options

The surgeon is recommending surgery.

Listen to the surgeon not opinions on the internet.

A good friend of mine just had hers taken out as the attacks started coming more frequently(and more painfull) and now feels so much better.

The reason I'm curious about others' outcomes is because his recommendation was not a firm one, it was more like, "I recommend you have this surgery because that attack could have been from the sludge, and you could have more. Though statistically the sludge isn't likely to result in anything..." etc. Also, my general doc wasn't quite as sold on the surgery, hence why I'm going the second opinion with another surgeon today. This was not one of those "you must do this or else" scenarios, it was a less definitive, "I think you should because ___, but it's your call" scenarios.

Also, I'm not the kind of person who jumps through a hoop just because someone says so. I try to be a good advocate for my own health, and I'm doing tons of research (including asking for people's anecdotal/informal experiences).
  • jmpurser
    jmpurser Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    As a general rule I'd say listen to your surgeon but I think it's a better idea to listen to TWO surgeons. Get a second opinion BEFORE someone starts cutting on you. If you have a friend in the area who has had the operation then talk to them about their experience and if it was good see if you can get a consult from their doctor.

I had my gall bladder out which was probably medically a good call. But the surgeon I got was second rate. I now have a HUGE hernia, suffered through a post operative infection which was ignored, was hospitalized twice post surgery, etc. WHICH surgeon is as important as which treatment. Look around, ask questions, be assertive.
  • Persian99
    Options
    As a general rule I'd say listen to your surgeon but I think it's a better idea to listen to TWO surgeons. Get a second opinion BEFORE someone starts cutting on you. If you have a friend in the area who has had the operation then talk to them about their experience and if it was good see if you can get a consult from their doctor.

I had my gall bladder out which was probably medically a good call. But the surgeon I got was second rate. I now have a HUGE hernia, suffered through a post operative infection which was ignored, was hospitalized twice post surgery, etc. WHICH surgeon is as important as which treatment. Look around, ask questions, be assertive.

I'm so sorry about your experience. That sounds horrific. But thank you for sharing your story.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I know multiple people who have had the surgery done. One had hers removed and due to complications ended up losing close to 50 pounds and still has health issues. My ex had his removed and now cant eat certain foods without having digestive issues. Again another friend of mine every time he eats he has to be close to a bathroom because of digestive issues. I would honestly get the second and maybe even a third opinion since it is considered a major surgery.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I had to have emergency gall bladder surgery after a long evening spent in agony. My gall bladder was full of stones and the duct was blocked. I had had a few prior attacks but didn't know what they were. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I admit I don't know anything about "sludge" though.

Considering that I had emergency surgery, mine was fairly uneventful and I recovered pretty quickly: it took about a week or so, and I was 50 lbs or more overweight at the time. I really don't notice a lot of consequences from not having my gall bladder.

I agree that you should get a second opinion, but would strongly consider the surgery if the doctors recommend it.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I say just have it out. I developed pancreatitis due to a bad gall bladder, ended up very sick and in the hospital for more than a week. Having it done electively as a lap instead of emergently and open in the middle of the night is a whole lot better.
  • Persian99
    Options
    Thanks all. My 2nd opinion got postponed. Hopefully I'll be able to make a decision by end of week.
  • blainepoe
    blainepoe Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had mine out after intermittent attacks due to stones over several years. Finally decided it wasn't worth the pain - it was excruciating at times. The surgery was easy outpatient lapro. Only side effect was bathroom frequency which was easily solved with a script I take every day. I'd take the pills over the pain and lost sleep any day.

I agree on the 2nd opinion or at least talk to your GP about it. Good luck!
  • ashleygrant391
    ashleygrant391 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed after having several terrible attacks, went to the ER 2x before they figured out what it was. I unfortunately had a couple complications. Surgery in March '11 went fine, got out of the hospital, next day. Then a month later I had the same terrible pain again in the same spot, go to ER do a test. turns out that some how a gull stone was left hanging out in the duck that goes out of the gallbladder, that they usually leave there when they remove the actually gallbladder. So had a second surgery to remove it, released the next day, come back the hospital with in 1hr because of unstoppable vomiting/diarrhea, turns out my pancreas was not a big fan of surgery number 2 and I was in the hospital for days with pancreatitis. Morally of the story, even with the best surgeon manure happens, listen to the risks. Both of my complications were things they said only happens in less the 5% of removal surgeries.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I'd say have the surgery - my mom had it and it was easy peasy. My friend decided to wait and ended up in the hospital for like a week and it was awful. Not good.
  • dewaltfan
    dewaltfan Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I had to have my Gall Bladder out when I was 24, I was pregnant and having attacks about 2 times a week and because I was pregnant at the time there was nothing that could be done. Until the baby was born I was miserable. As soon as she was born I was so relieved to be able to finally get something done. Scheduled the surgery for 3 weeks post pregnancy and had it done laproscopically. That was 19 years plus ago, the only thing that I have issues with now is my body really tells me when I have been eating too much fat.
    Getting it taken out was best for me, just wish I hadn't had to wait so long to have it done.

Recovery was also very easy, even with having just given birth
  • slimmum1
    slimmum1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I had sludge almost 3 years ago and a gall bladder infection due to two pregnancies within two years and losing pregnancy weight too fast. The doctor told me to get it removed but I went to get a second opinion. Second doctor suggested we try some medicine therapy with different medicines to flush the sludge out. It took a long time like 3-4 months but eventually it was all out. Stones are something that requires operation but with sludge not necessarily. Do your research and get a second or third opinion. Look into some natural remedies as well. They do help. I still have my gallbladder. I also try to eat as healthy as I can and exercise. I'm trying to lose the weight from my third pregnancy now but going slower and eating my fats. My doctor said tho if it happens again then I would probably require surgery. I wish you the best of luck.
  • sarahslosingit2014
    sarahslosingit2014 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out about 6 years ago. I had the "sludge" you mentioned and some of the most painful gallbladder attacks I can imagine. WAAAAAYYY worse than childbirth, in my opinion. The surgery was very minor - outpatient and laparoscopic. I controlled the attacks with diet for 6 weeks before the surgery, but lived in constant fear of having another one. The pain was excruciating and the attacks only got worse each time. I have had no side effects since the surgery - no digestive issues, etc. Definitely look into all your options of course, but I found the surgery fairly easy (as far as surgeries go) and well worth it to not have to worry about experiencing that pain ever again.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    If you can afford the surgery and the time off work have the surgery as soon as possible.
    It will not go away. The sludge will stir up sometime again.

I had mine out laproscopically and as a day patient, sometimes you need to spend the night in hospital depending how you wake up from the anaesthetic.
    I'm a registered nurse so know the routine.
    This problem doesn't fix itself.

Your weight loss may have contributed to the problem but you can't worry about that as it was going to happen anyway, sometime or other. Keeping weight off and eating well will help of course.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I'm not you, and I can't tell you what to do. I can only give my tale.

About 15 years ago, it felt like someone had punched me in my kidneys. Got to the point where it was too painful to stand upright. Next day (Fri) I went to the doctor's office. (my dr was out of town for a week or so, but Nurse Practitioner was in.) They ran all the tests, did x-rays...the only thing they saw was an elevated WBC. Sent me home with a script for antibiotics & "If you don't feel better, come back Monday." Well...that night I came down with the rip-roaring flu! Back in the office on Monday am. Saw another doctor, he re-ran the tests & the WBC was lower (ya, been on meds all weekend!) but he looked at me & said "You are not my patient, but I can TELL you aren't right. Something is wrong." He attempted an abdominal palpitation & I about jumped off the table. Sent me for an ultrasound the next day, 2 days later, back in the office where the diagnosis was back: gall stones. Now, I've never had digestives issues ever before. Don't know how it happened, how long I had them...all I know is I was in PAIN! Few days later I was sitting in the surgeon's office & my surgery was scheduled for 12/27/99. I had the laparoscopic surgery, out for a week after, and I never looked back since. I even had a tattoo put over 1 of my scars!

Any time you go for surgery it is a heavy decision to make. Just inform yourself, talk it out, weigh the pros/cons...in the end, make the best choice for you. Good luck!
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    I'm currently experiencing gallstones and getting to my primary care doctor to recommend surgery can't happen fast enough. So I've been to urgent care and finally found the stones. That was all due to an attack that really the pain only stopped while at the Urgent Care clinic.

Sludge can turn into stones, and stones cause blockage which then can cause greater issues than a faulty gallbladder. You could also go through the rest of your life without ever noticing another attack but do you really want to chance another attack? Clean eating doesn't mean you're not going to breakdown and have something that is too fatty, or fried, etc which could cause another severe attack (and 4 hours is severe).

A lot of people are telling me that the surgery is really easy, and wondered why they waited. The gallbladder is not a needed organ meaning you can live without the gallbladder and not have adverse effects.

Listen to the surgeon, get the surgery. You don't want to chance that you'll get more of the attacks if you can do something about it.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I had mine out because I had sand (yup sand) in mine.
    My issue was pain along with gastro issues.
    I had it out and finally began feeling better.

I did notice that since surgery I could not eat iceberg lettuce as I would immediately spend the next hour in the bathroom.
    That has since stopped as long as I limit iceberg lettuce in my diet.
    Other dark green leafy lettuce were ok.

I'm glad you are seeking a 2nd opinion, that is so important.
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    After an attack my mother had a MRI and was told that her gall bladder was full of sludge and the Dr recommended that she have it removed. She decided not to do so and had several attacks over the next year and the last one she ended up in the hospital for 5 days after having emergency surgery. I had an MRI due to kidney stones and was told that my gall bladder was sludgey in August and I scheduled my surgery for October. My surgery was outpatient and laparoscopic. on a Friday and I was back to work on the following Monday. I haven't had any digestive issues since. My mother really regrets not scheduling her surgery and by passing the painful attacks and the emergency surgery!