How do you estimate when eating out?

Options
My wife and I eat out a LOT, and often at local places that don't have calorie guides. What's a good way to calculate calories for stuff that might be a bit complicated, like pho or gyros or Indian food? I don't want to give up on eating out, and am willing to "save up" some calories during the day if I can just figure out how many calories dinner might be ahead of time.

Replies

• yellowfairy
    yellowfairy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I find comparable dishes at other restaurants. This may not be the best way-but it is how I personally do it.
  • kirstindr
    Options
    I do a search for comparible dishes online if I know I am going out...eventually I end up memorizing them so if we go on a spur of the moment thing I don't have to freak.
  • aigéan
    Options
    I usually go by other restaurants charts. Or, you can do it piece by piece. Let's say you have a burger, you can add a beef patty, a roll, lettuce, ketchup, etc individually! It might be like 100 calories off either way, but at least you put something down, you know? And if you're concerned that it had more calories than what's posted, just exercise more! :)
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Pull up that restaurant on the internet. They may have a "nutrition" guide on their web page--breaks down everything for you.
  • CCMLA
    CCMLA Posts: 19
    Options
    When in total doubt or if I can't find/don't have time to search online, I've started relying on the following serving sizes:

Divide your plate into one half and two quarters mentally. The half should be veggies. One quarter should be protein. The other quarter should be starch. A service size of starch is the size of your fist tightly clenched; protein is about the size of your palm; and veggies are about 1-2 cups.

I'm a big fan of family-style (so you can get a little bit of everything to make the plate work) and to-go bags. :-)

Another strategy is to have your old standbys that you've memorized, so when you go to a familiar restaurant, you can fall back on a few things that you're certain of.