SL5x5 vs NROLFW

Options
kshadows
kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
I've been thinking about strength training a LOT lately. I'm still 35 pounds from my goal and kept thinking once I'd lost the weight, THEN I'd worry about lowering BF% and toning/defining muscle (I've never had any!). But more and more it seems like I should be doing it now! Currently all I do is run 3-4 days a week and I want to add some strength training into it. I like the idea of SL5x5 because it's only 3 days per week (although I'll admit I haven't read the other one because I'm a cheapskate and haven't bought the book). Goals include losing 35 pounds, flattening the belly and taming my hips (which I never had before having my daughter).

Opinions on which program would be best as far as results? Ease for a beginner?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I like NROLFW mainly because it emphasizes a more accurate mindset toward lifting (i.e. not being afraid of getting huge). But if you already have your mind in the right place, it loses its relative value.

Both will work. SL5x5 is simpler.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I like NROLFW mainly because it emphasizes a more accurate mindset toward lifting (i.e. not being afraid of getting huge). But if you already have your mind in the right place, it loses its relative value.

Both will work. SL5x5 is simpler.

Oh I'm certainly not scared of getting huge...I know the facts and how it works. Simple is good. I guess I'll go with simple. Here's to hoping I don't drop something on my toe!
  • kristen2713
    kristen2713 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I'm personally in love with Body Beast from Beachbody~ it is 6 days a week, BUT, I don't do the cardio day b/c I also run, and sometimes if I need a break on an extra day, I'll skip legs, so there, you're at 4! Most of the workouts are only 30-35 minutes, the longest being the first 3 weeks which are about 45 min each, but also condensed to only 3 days upper body lifting.

Regardless of which program you end up choosing, you are absolutely doing the right thing (in my opinion :flowerforyou: ) by starting to lift NOW,..you will increase your metabolism, lose fat faster and feel great once you get started!! ONLY downside I've seen/felt is in my pockets...weights can get expensive as you grow and "graduate". Good luck!!:drinker: