When should I go on the scale?

Options
Well, I am pretty confussed because after eating a meal, i have won like 1 kilo, just in some hours! Is that possible?!
When is the best moment to go on the scale?

Replies

• The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Well, I am pretty confussed because after eating a meal, i have won like 1 kilo, just in some hours! Is that possible?!
    When is the best moment to go on the scale?

First thing in the morning before you eat breakfast. Most importantly, if you want to measure your progress, make sure you do it at the same time every day.
  • blancablanca
    Options
    Thanks! But is it normal gain weight right after a meal? is that real weight?
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    At 3:02 in the morning, because the moon's gravitational pull is at it's peak and you will weigh the least.

Seriously it doesn't matter. Be consistent. Most find the best time (i.e. the lowest weights) come first thing when you get up after taking care of your morning business. Naked, of course.
  • brc912
    brc912 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you are on your weight loss journey depends on how often you should weigh. When I first started I weighed in once a week every Friday morning right when I woke up (Important to do it at the same time every day, and first thing when you wake up is good because you have no food/water from the day in you). As I began losing weight I started weighing myself more often and began taking measurements and photos of myself once a month.

And it is completely possible that you can gain a lot of weight in a day from eating/drinking, but it comes off quickly if you jump back into your routine. On Thanksgiving, for instance, I weighted myself at the end of the day and weighed 10 lbs. more than I did that morning.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What would happen if you stood on your scales and held your meal in your hands instead of eating it?
    You would weigh more!

What do you mean "real weight"? You step on the scales and it weighs everything, fat, muscle, bones, undigested food, etc. etc....

That's why weighing yourself several times a day is silly.
  • brc912
    Options
    It is "real weight" but not from fat... it is just the weight of the food/liquid you just consumed.
  • blancablanca
    Options
    Thanks! I was worried about those extra pounds/kilos after this stupid 2000/3000 calories!
  • blancablanca
    Options
    Yes, i know. I dont weight myself everyday, but i was worried because i overate today, like 3000 calories so...
  • brc912
    Options
    It is ok to have bad days every once in a while... just don't let it snowball into an every day thing. That is how weight gets put back on. If you get back on track tomorrow, that weight should come off over the next few days.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Never. You just said you are anorexic in the other thread. Throw the scale away and eat more.
  • RolandasPT4U
    Options
    You shouldn't lose more than half a kg per week (if you're very big then up to a kg per week). Losing the extra kg means muscle wasted, which significantly slows down your metabolism. Your weight is effected by your stomach content (up to 2-3kg). Following the logics there's no point weighing yourself more often than every 3-4 weeks. Find out more about healthy and correct weight loss here.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Yes, i know. I dont weight myself everyday, but i was worried because i overate today, like 3000 calories so...

It is thought 1lb of fat is around 3500kcals. This means you would have to eat 3500kcals ON TOP of your TDEE which is probably somewhere around 2000(depending what you do)?
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I weight myself every sunday morning. Thats it. why? because our bodies fluxuate all day so you will probably get a different number all day. Pick one day, the same time each week and weigh yourself. Base your losses/gains off of that benchmark number.

Preferably throw your scale away and just measure yourself weekly. Those numbers arent as big of liers as the scale.