Have decided to get the gastric sleeve

Options
13»

Replies

• Jessr0se
    Options
    Great post!! I totally agree. I am currently going through the beginning requirements for the gastric sleeve(4 month documented diet, proof of co-morbidities, sleep study, psychological interview) because of the kind of insurance I'm on. All insurance's are different. I've researched the gastric sleeve since September of 2013, so about 5 months, and nothing has turned me off about the surgery yet. It is a major surgery, yes, and you will have to change the way you eat for the rest of your life, but I believe it will be worth it. I'm only 25 but I have been struggling with my weight for over 10 years. There are a lot of negative comments out there, but they don't know your life. Most don't know the daily struggles of walking, bending down, sitting comfortably, even breathing. Most say, why not lose weight with diet and exercise. Well don't you think it's all been tried before?

I have an app on my phone called bariatric pal and it is amazing. Any kind of question you have, it has been asked AND answered there by people who have gotten the surgery. It's a great tool. Do lots of research and think hard about this before you do it. It will change your life. But it may save your life as well.
  • mamajacqui
    mamajacqui Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I did opt to have the sleeve recently after struggling to lose weight my whole life. I watched my mothers success with the sleeve and resisted, wanting to do it myself the healthy, safe way. My turning point came when my GP explained that my oversize stomach will continue to produce the hunger hormone even once I'm thin so it takes an enormous amount of willpower to stay thin. The sleeve gave me a second chance...a fresh start - kind of setting me back to my childhood when things started to go wrong. I believe I MUST use a psych and dietician in my recovery to address the behaviors that made and kept me fat. My surgeon here in Perth insists on it. But I don't regret my sleeve and I'd do it again. There are risks but I was killing myself slowly anyway and overburdening our health system. I know it would've been great if I didn't need to do the procedure, but I did, and for others who are similar to me...I think it's a lifesaver, I really do.
  • kksoucie
    kksoucie Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting guys! I am going to a meeting next tuesday to begin the process for sleeve surgery. I will most likely have the actual surgery in September because I have already met some requirements and will be losing my full coverage insurance in December. After that the follow up visits are covered but not the actual surgery. I have been doing a diet of sorts the last 45 days but will bump it up over the next 6 months until surgery. I am very nervous but excited as well. I hope all goes well for everyone!
  • RazieMc
    Options
    I am a kidney dialysis patient. I have been making the rounds and being tested at various locations (The Ohio State University; University of Cincinnati; Cleveland Clinic) to qualify for kidney transplant. UC has recommended the sleeve procedure as part of the "Kidney Champion" program. Transplant surgery is easier with less weight and potential donors see the effort that you are making to do everything possible to be as healthy as you can and may feel that you would take good care of their kidney if donated.

I have been to first consultation for sleeve procedure and have received information regarding pre-operative liquid diet and post-operative diet progression. I have never eaten pureed meats or fish or vegetables or fruits...basically have never eaten pureed foods and have doubts about that part of the plan. I am having egd scope in a couple of weeks and sleep testing, etc.

Because I have had so much of the testing done during transplant qualifying, my surgery could happen as soon as next month.

I am scared. I have not had any major surgeries in my life and losing part of my stomach is frightening. I have always eaten a healthy diet (just lots of it) and hope that I can make the adjustment.

As a kidney patient, I am supposed to restrict fluids, yet speaking with nurse practitioner, she indicates that others have been successful and still continued dialysis.

I don't know if anyone else is in my situation or can advise me as to what to expect, but I would love to hear from someone.