No weight loss since late summer last years

Options
Hello all. I was tying not to "complain" to you all, but I'm lost as to why my weight hasn't been shedding off for a long time now. I was at a steady loss of about two pounds per week coming off. I then had to take about a month off due to the demands of farming. I was able to maintain my weight though. Lately I have been fluctuating bad, say four pounds in about four days, and haven't been able to get back down. I've added heavy lifts to my routine, and added more protein to my diet through a supplement. I believe my journal is open to take a look. Current weight is 126, was at 118. Was trying for 115-110, to lower BF more. I know it doesn't seem like a big gain, but I can see it. Family says maybe muscle gain, but I can't see it. My waist is up 1 inch, 27.5-28.6 from 26.5. 36 YO female, 5'3". Any help and suggestion much appreciated. (Was wondering if I'm at too much protein, too much/little fat).

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Eat less.
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think you're over logging exercise. I have a very hard time believing those calories burnt in your exercise logs.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    you're not in a calorie deficit.

it's a math problem and your equation is off somewhere.
  • leecharlesworth7
    Options
    Yes, check you excercise log, I do a circuit training class that lasts an hour but I don't log an hour as we rest regularly in between circuits so try & work out the exact time of excercise. I have heard it could be muscle gain, especially if you are having so much protein???
  • tinakowalik
    tinakowalik Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I've heard that too much protein can be a problem, and recently started intaking more protein. I just use what MFP has put in for certain exercise, as I don't have a HRM Yet. I also learned that I was supposed to eat back calories that were burnt during exercise, this was something I didn't know through the summer and I would net 0 calories. Something that was bad for my metabolism I learned.
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You say you do farming?? That's a very physical job. But I agree with the others. Weight is calories in vs calories out. However your weight is very low already. The body is going to get to a point where it thinks "you know what, Im healthy at this weight, Im not going to drop anymore". If you want to lose the last few pounds, there have been numerous studies that show that you need a very small calorie deficit eg 200 cals a day. The weight wont come off as fast, but it will come off.
  • Nicola0000
    Options
    protein wont be the problem. Protein doesn't cause weight gain, excess calories does
  • tinakowalik
    Options
    My exercise included jillian Michael body revolution, I'd do the cardio and weight training. And then 6-8 mile bike rides in summer. I have now switched to P90X3. Mixed with ab ripper x, every other day, and heavy weight training, and Zumba when I can. Maybe not enough? I do find some of the X vids don't seem ...intense enough.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    maybe try an experiment with different foods for a few weeks, maybe have a few weeks with only clean eating, or no dairy or no wheat, or low fat, or low carb just something different while still maintaining similar calories levels. See if it works and take from there. always worth trying something new as you are a decent weight already so it will be hard to find the right way. I am struggling at a similar height but more weight than you carry. Also consider trying eating more food for a while as you are pretty low.
  • Will32283
    Will32283 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I've heard that too much protein can be a problem, and recently started intaking more protein. I just use what MFP has put in for certain exercise, as I don't have a HRM Yet. I also learned that I was supposed to eat back calories that were burnt during exercise, this was something I didn't know through the summer and I would net 0 calories. Something that was bad for my metabolism I learned.

I eat 170+ grams of protein daily and it is not a problem for me. I'm losing weight without any problems.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Set MFP to lose half a pound a week. Don't trust MFP data on the calories you burn.

OR

Calculate your TDEE and take a 10% deduction from that.

Make sure you weigh/measure/log all of your food accurately. Your calorie deficit will be small so there is not much wiggle room there.
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    My exercise included jillian Michael body revolution, I'd do the cardio and weight training. And then 6-8 mile bike rides in summer. I have now switched to P90X3. Mixed with ab ripper x, every other day, and heavy weight training, and Zumba when I can. Maybe not enough? I do find some of the X vids don't seem ...intense enough.

How about you just run/jog? It is much more accurate to calculate calories burnt v.s. some generic workout dvd.
  • tinakowalik
    Options
    Ok, thanks for tips! I'll try it! I have been thinking of picking up running once it thaws here. We have a lot of snow! My farming is now just summer work. Hay cutting. I know DVDs aren't the best, but it did help for a while. I believe I am set to 1/2 pound...I could be wrong, I have been experimenting that way. I tried experimenting with upping protein and trying to hot macros. I really didn't pay much attention to that other than calories in and out. I have heard MFP data is off. Even Zumba game I don't believe. They claim 451 burn in 40 mins...MFP is 315 or something like that. So I try not to eat them all back. Thank you all again.
  • tinakowalik
    Options
    Food is weighed and measured!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    are you weighing your food? accurately logging? You diary looks a bit off...

edit: the generic chinese foods entries, no name generic granola, every apple logged is exactly 106g? every banana is the same weight?

long story short, you're trying... you're logging... you're just eating more than you think.
  • Tabithas_Transformation
    Options
    A lot of your measurements for food are in cups. You might try using a digital scale instead as this is far more accurate.
  • Nicola0000
    Options
    A lot of your measurements for food are in cups. You might try using a digital scale instead as this is far more accurate.

Agree. In UK, we don't use cups at all. I weigh everything. A little bit off here and there can add up over time. I would set your goal to maintain your weight, and then use your exercise as your deficit. That way you get a deficit, but you don't need to stress about how much you've burned
  • tinakowalik
    Options
    Everything is weighed. The granola is no name brand, weighed, and as I can't bring a scale to a Chinese buffet, I don't want to look crazy,!!! I do have to guess at those. I don't do that everyday. But yes, I'm a lil OCD on my scaling.
  • tinakowalik
    Options
    I use the cup measurement if there in no other option, as in measured in grams, but i make sure a cup is what is is in grams for instance.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary as well and it appears you do 95% weighing which is great. We can't do 100%...

Always look at the entries you are using if there are no confirmations based on waht is on the lable of the food...that can cause inaccuracies as well.

The last thing in this equation is your exercise. Because you don't have HRM and btw JM dvd's are great just up the weight if they are getting too easy...log the calories here and eat back 50-75%...

If you aren't losing weight it is a math equation

Calories in<calories out = weight loss so just figure out where your equation is off.