Toughmudder newbie help and advice please?.

Options
Hi entered into my first toughmudder in August and would really like any advise from anyone who has completed one! I'm in the uk and doing mine as part of a team in Yorkshire. Training tips would be great.

Replies

• amw5471
    amw5471 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've never done one but I am running the Boston TM on June 1 with a friend who is a part of an obstacle course racing team. I'm just there is a lot of support on these boards but you may be able to find a team in your area to help you train! I am not from the New England area but that team has been very supportive and helped me hook up with a local group that have provided a lot of help to me.

Otherwise, everyone tells me the strength portions are harder than the running!
  • robllano
    robllano Posts: 2
    Options
    Tough mudder. Lots of fun. I can't speak for any courses in England, but I did one here in the US, in Pennsylvania and it was on a ski resort....LOTS of hills. Definitely will require some strength for a few of the obstacles too. I'd work on general physical preparedness. Grip strength/endurance is important too, so do things like pullups, farmer's walks,etc. Keep all your training high intensity with little/no rest to increase your total work capacity and don't forget to run. These challenges are 10-12 miles long, so there IS a good amount of running too. Also, I'd wear gloves to the event. Definitely helps to run with a team. Lastly, HAVE FUN. Its very tough, but I had a blast and I'm doing one here in October again.
  • Emmabulliemum
    Emmabulliemum Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I'm worried I'm not fit enough! Running has been an issue as I pulled a ligament in my knee which is recovering steadily. Just hope I can make it through eekk!!!
  • Sophie_UK
    Sophie_UK Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I personally haven't, but I know a fair few who have done the UK ones and they've all really enjoyed it.

I tore my medial ligament skiing and ran a half marathon 5 months later thanks to a brilliant physio who got my knees stronger than they've ever been. Take it easy on your knee :) Are you having any physiotherapy? Mine wouldn't let me run again until I could squat down on the offending leg with the other out in front, without falling in a heap on the floor. I'm not sure if that's a definitive test though!
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    tough mudder tips.

for the arctic freeze. try to jump as far as you can to minimize time in the water.

the half pipe. run strait at it, and you will end up going up it.

electric eel. just slide as fast as you can, keep your head down so you don't get zapped in the temple.

the water containers they had at the NY one were covered in mud. Get used to the idea of drinking muddy water, and liking it.
  • AnnaZimm70
    AnnaZimm70 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I did one at Mt. Snow in Vermont (in May, so there was still a little snow, lots of mud, and the water obstacles were cold). I was running 12 miles for my long runs, with several hills along the route, and felt prepared. The entire TM was up and down the mountain and was brutal. If I was doing it again I would run A LOT more hills. I would also do more upper body strength training. At the end of the day I had a great sense of accomplishment, but I couldn't walk up and down stairs without pain for several days!

Pick your shoes wisely. I ran in Vibram's Five Fingers and they were great. The VFFs don't get weighted down by the water and stayed on in the mud. Of course, if you are considering this make sure you do you training in them and work up the distance slowly. I love my VFFs, but many folks experience injuries if they do too much too quickly in them.
  • martinking1983
    Options
    I ran the north West TM last year and i'm signed up to do it again this year. Ill be honest, nothing really prepares you for the day, however my top tips would be...
    1) Train off road too - it will build up the strength in your ligaments, which will stop any lasting injuries from the race.
    2) Go out at a sensible time, if its your first you will want to be a bit later on.
    3) I personally feel that the cardio isn't as important as mental grit, as thats what really gets you through the long day.
    4) I found that by the time I was ready I was running 5+ miles, 4 times per week without stopping for breaks. That was plenty of cardio for the race, I found that when you go out a bit later there are short queues for the obstacles which give you a cardio break!
    5) Get good footwear and do your laces up really tight! :)
    6) Help your fellow mudder - you never know when you may need them too!
    7) Get some good people around you!
    8) Its not a race, honestly, when I see people just sprinting off ahead and then skipping the obstacles due to them worrying about their time I honestly just don't see the point!
    9) Enjoy it! I easily rank it up there in the top 5 days of my life! :)

HOOOO RAHHHHHH
    Martin
  • Malachai76
    Malachai76 Posts: 128
    Options
    Hi I done TM last August in Edinburgh and i'm doing it again this year in June.
    The running part I managed easily about 12 miles but as it's broken up by obstacles there were 20 last year it's not as bad as it seems. I trained by running 10k's I managed it fine.
    I trained for seven months as I was overweight and used TM as my motivation a goal to aim for. My training consisted of running a few times a week I also completed Insanity twice in that time.
    For this one i've worked more on upper body strength as you need this for quite a few of the obstacles, so doing some gym work as well

Hope this helps
  • Emmabulliemum
    Options
    I personally haven't, but I know a fair few who have done the UK ones and they've all really enjoyed it.

I tore my medial ligament skiing and ran a half marathon 5 months later thanks to a brilliant physio who got my knees stronger than they've ever been. Take it easy on your knee :) Are you having any physiotherapy? Mine wouldn't let me run again until I could squat down on the offending leg with the other out in front, without falling in a heap on the floor. I'm not sure if that's a definitive test though!
    Thanks Sophie mine isn't torn just pulled, I've seen a Physio she hastild me to strengthen my legs thanks for the advice
  • Emmabulliemum
    Options
    Thanks for the replays this is why I LOVE MFP team work all the way and loads of positivity. :smile:
  • igoleft6
    igoleft6 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I've done 6 TM, trail running and lots of hill work are a must. Also, I always wear at least Capri pants and always a long sleeve fitted tech shirt, it will save your knees and elbows. If you have any questions about specific obstacles just ask!
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a mud run (not the tough mudder but similar) for the first time next month and my friend said the best advice is to dive right in the mud during the first obstacle, otherwise it will be distracting to worry about getting muddy...if that makes any sense.

Also, I'm a bullie mom too! I haven't met many of us. I am obsessed with mine! Such a clown.
  • Sophie_UK
    Sophie_UK Posts: 31 Member
    Options

Thanks Sophie mine isn't torn just pulled, I've seen a Physio she hastild me to strengthen my legs thanks for the advice

That's good to hear. Enjoy the TM! :)
  • Emmabulliemum
    Options
    I've done 6 TM, trail running and lots of hill work are a must. Also, I always wear at least Capri pants and always a long sleeve fitted tech shirt, it will save your knees and elbows. If you have any questions about specific obstacles just ask!

Thanks for the advice x
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Join the USMC, that should get you ready.
  • Krustpie
    Krustpie Posts: 25
    Options
    Did my first mud run a few weeks ago and loved it. Running between obstacles was short bursts so running happily for 2 open terrain miles works. Upper body, core and back strength really helped. Because you can’t always predict where your foot will fall there is a lot of jarring on the back so for next one I am upping twist crunches and working on upper body. But everyone helps and you are part of a team so you can use each other’s strengths.

On a practical basis can of full fat coke straight after the race to make sure you don’t get an upset tummy. Change of clothes needs to be easy to put on (think clammy after swim feel when changing in a rush). Good luck and enjoy
  • Emmabulliemum
    Options
    Join the USMC, that should get you ready.

helpful lol but I'm in the UK
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I've not done a TM but my brother has done a cpuple of them & the Sparta race. He said that some upper body strength was an advantage for some of the obstacles and is where he made up time on some of the runners (he's a body builder and doesn't do huge amounts of cardio) and also where he helped other people out puling/ pushing them up obstacles! Also don't wear anything that you wish to be its orignal colour ever again inc trainers as the mud gets everywhere and depending on the fabric can stain a bit. he had a ball doing them though. Have fun :)