moldy bra

Options
So... i left my sweaty sports bra (lycra, elastic) in the bottom of the laundry basket buried under my husbands shirt and most likely a wet bath towel for like 2 weeks (serves me right for ignoring that laundry basket...) and it molded. :tongue:

Didn't notice it until I took it out of the wash, but it has dark spots on the straps and part of the body of it. I sprayed it with some Spray and Wash and it's sitting for a new wash now. Thought maybe a vinegar soak would be good? I mostly want to get the gross looking spots off even if the mold itself is killed, which I know a good bout in the sun would do (providing a strong enough winter sun ever comes back out here!) since I can't dry it in the dryer to kill it.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

Replies

• braggsaw
    braggsaw Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Just buy a new one!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Lysol makes a bathroom product that kills mold or you can use bleach...but, will probably break down the elastic
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    try lemon juice and then hang it in the sun...if you can get any sun. I removed mold spots off a white polo shirt doing that but that was cotton, not sure if you can remove them from man made materials but worth a try
  • msemejuru
    Options
    New one. The sun will break down the elastic making the bra less effective. So will bleach. Basically, anything that kills the mold will probably kill the bra.
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    Definitely do the vinegar. the acidity should kill any germs.

I don't know about removing any spots though. maybe a stain remover soak? napisan or something?

is it coloured? if it's white/light/oryou aren't worried about it being either of those, you could do a few hours in a bleach mix. ha.

(buying a new bra, dude. do you know how expensive some of these things are?)
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Bin it. Mold can spread. It is bacteria after all and can cause skin irritation.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I would try some oxy-clean. I once left some sweaty gym clothes in a bag for a few days, and a soak in a generous amount of oxy-clean and warm water got out the stank.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Baking soda and vinegar should help.
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    (buying a new bra, dude. do you know how expensive some of these things are?)

I know really!? I got this one at Marshall's so it was "only" like $10 (but compared to a $30 or more one that is cheap! There are some great ones I found, but they are $40! I'm not paying $40 for a bra! (and in some circles, that's still cheap!) non sports bras the # goes up from there for really good ones!), plus it's hard to find ones I really like and fit me so I'd hate to throw it out for a little mold, especially since I know I can easily kill it. It's gray, so I might just bleach it if the color bothers me and nothing else works. No one sees it anyway, it wouldn't matter. Plus, even if I find another i like in the $10 range I'd have to pull that money from somewhere else in our budget - likely groceries, and not a ton to spare there!

PS - I live in Tennesee... so if we threw out everything every time it molded we'd be broke! During damp seasons.... EVERYTHING will mold! It's just usually outside stuff I can hose off!!! Or leather, which I know how to clean mold from.
  • soze
    soze Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I would urge caution to defcon 5. With mold, mildew, and bacteria it just wreaks of a booby trap!
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    Aye. I am in Australia. and $10 is BLOODY CHEAP for a bra. I spend like $40 or so for bras

and I am shrinking. So I am trying to find cheaper ways to get things. ha.

I already have a few sports bras in smaller sizes, that I am hoping I will fit soon. eep. I just hope I don't shrink in the wrong places. haha.
  • LettyM62
    LettyM62 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Just buy a new one!

Obviously you've never bought a sports bra before. EXPENSIVE!
  • LadyKatie2010
    Options
    i have to buy my bras at cacique cuz well *cough cough * i'm well endowed.

but on black friday they had a sale for buy one, get one. it was still 40$....but 40$ for two is much more preferable!!!
  • MISTTIMG
    MISTTIMG Posts: 136
    Options
    I would buy a new one, the stains won't come out. I mean what if you had an accident and had to be rushed to the hospital, you would be in ER and the nurse would be getting you prepped for a gown and she would say.. oh this lady has more problems than we thought.. her breasts are mildewing her bra...
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    You will not be able to remove those spots. I've had that happen to tshirts, towels, mostly swim stuff I seem to forget about and it never ever comes out no matter what. I even tried washing this one bib 2-3x in bleach and it did nothing but fade the print.

Go treat yourself to a new bra!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I would buy a new one, the stains won't come out. I mean what if you had an accident and had to be rushed to the hospital, you would be in ER and the nurse would be getting you prepped for a gown and she would say.. oh this lady has more problems than we thought.. her breasts are mildewing her bra...

LOL. That's funny.

My birthday IS coming up. I actually got this one for my Bday a few years ago because I needed some. My mom sent me $30 and I went to Ross and Marshalls. I hate wasting a good Bday on bras though! :laugh:
  • kimmiebear70
    kimmiebear70 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Soak it in a mixture of bleach and peroxide. It works!
  • UpToAnyCool
    UpToAnyCool Posts: 1,673
    Options
    Vodka.:drinker:
    just a thought if the vinegar doesn't work. heard that when you are ready to throw out a moldy umbrella, last ditch effort is vodka.
    although later you might smell boozy at the gym if you don't rinse it well. :ohwell:

good luck!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Vodka.:drinker:
    just a thought if the vinegar doesn't work. heard that when you are ready to throw out a moldy umbrella, last ditch effort is vodka.
    although later you might smell boozy at the gym if you don't rinse it well. :ohwell:

good luck!

I'd rather throw the bra away then use the vodka...
  • Evermyre
    Options
    Vodka is actually not a bad option. I work in theatre and rather than using febreeze on smelly clothes we mix up cheap (and I mean CHEAP) vodka and water and spray clothes with that. They don't actually end up smelling like alcohol.