Lunch at a Japanese Steakhouse/Sushi Restaurant - HELP!

Options
I do pretty well when I control what I eat, but going out is a big challenge! I have a work lunch, takeout, from a Japanese Steakhouse/Sushi restaurant.

What do you order that is healthy and lower in calories? What should I steer clear of? Is sushi the way to go, or does the rice get you in trouble? I need some advice please!

Replies

• becauseofholly
    becauseofholly Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Go for sushi. I love california rolls and shrimp tempura rolls, or anything will eel and eel sauce.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Sushi is great if you don't get tempura shrimp or something like that. I also like miso soup and seaweed salad. If sodium is a problem you want to be careful though.
  • smn76237
    smn76237 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Sashimi, nigiri, rainbow roll, miso soup, salad, something from the grill minus noodles or rice. Avoid tempura and carefully scrutinize rolls--sometimes they are fried/have mayo sauces.
  • Rachetpeg
    Rachetpeg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm also going out for Japanese food tonight, so hoping I can get some fish ramen as that should be quite a safe option!
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    sashimi / nigiri all day long.
  • Hernandeak11
    Hernandeak11 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I always like Miso or Clear soup with steamed Pork Dumplings for a nice lunch.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Look up nutrition value for maki rolls and sushi first... it's typically around 350 for salmon/avocado or California rolls, so I typically get two of those.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    if they offer their hibachi as part of their take out, then get chicken/veggies/rice/and yum yum sauce..... well i know where im going for lunch tomorrow.....
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    I go to an all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant pretty much every Saturday and it hasn't hindered things for me, but I'm not in a heavy loss phase right this moment either. I would suggest reviewing your goals and doing a little research. Otherwise, any kind of meat/vegetable combination should be mostly safe, albeit high in sodium.

ETA: I'm pretty sure sushi is okay. A lot of times, it has a lot of fillers (nori wrap, cucumber, avocado) that are low-cal and "good for you," with some kind of fish as well. I go for the tempura options or crab meat options because I can't stand the texture of raw fish. Good luck to you!
  • wen001bro
    wen001bro Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    YUM! Look up the nigiri and sashimi, you can have quite a bit for low cal. Add the cucumber or seaweed salad or an edamame appetizer for some bulk/fiber. Enjoy your lunch!
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    If you like "real" sushi, then stick with a salmon roll or tuna roll (not a spicy tuna roll) or nigiri and sashimi. Have some miso soup as an appetizer. Stay away from eel sauce and any of the tempura rolls, they are high in calories.

If you want to do hibachi, pick shrimp or chicken and don't eat the rice. Have miso soup as an appetizer.
  • ShannonBEarley
    ShannonBEarley Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your advice! I was feeling a little panicked, but now I think I can manage this. So yes on the miso, no on the tempura (too bad - it is way yummy!) no mayo based sauces on the sushi, and watch the rice. This is totally do-able!

Thank you!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Sushi? I would almost prefer to have someone drop 10 bricks on my big toe