Dog owners

Options
Dom80
Dom80 Posts: 146 Member
As a dog owner of a bassador ( basset hound/black lab) my dog Charlie loves to go for walks. On days I dont feel like exercising, he sits by the front door begging me to take him out.

He is my work out buddy. I couldnt do it without him.

Replies

• iknowicaniknowican
    Options
    AWW that is so sweet. I have a toy fox /pom mix and he gets too tired to walk with me after 5 minutes of walking . I keep saying I need a big dog to be my walking buddy . :O)
  • guidosgal
    guidosgal Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Too Sweet :flowerforyou:
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My German Shepherd Dog, Tessa (15 months old), is one of the reasons I'm getting in shape. She is extremely high energy and getting her tired is a major effort. One of my friends got us involved with Nose Work, and Tessa loves doing it and is even kind of gifted at it. This means that I have to be able to not hinder Tessa when she is working on leash, lug gear all over the place, etc.

So far so good! ;-) One of these days, I'm going to be able to take her out for a run, and keep up with her!
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Aren't dogs great! I started taking my Jack Russel, Leroy, on walks with me this past fall. Now, every time I put my tennis shoes on he thinks he's going to get to go bye-bye. Bless him! It breaks my heart when I put them on just to wear them because I know he's going to be disappointed.
  • jmack
    jmack Posts: 2
    Options
    Dogs are so awesome! My Golden Retriever is my workout buddy! Even with the snow, I put on her booties and she runs around like crazy cuz she is so excited that she is going for a walk!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Dogs are awesome ;-) We have 2. I have a 13 lb Lhasa Apso/Maltese mix (Delilah) and my boyfriend has a 50 lb pit bull -- Princess.. And surprisingly, my little white ball of fur is the bully! Anyway, my little one is actually the BETTER walking companion. His dog, I swear suffers from ADD and is just too hyper and unfocused to take for a good heart pounding walk. She gets too distracted. MY little dog on the other hand, I tell people she is an awesome interval trainer ;-) She absolutely LOVES to run sporatically for like a minute or two and then she'll slow down a bit and then take off at a full sprint. Repeat this cycle for 4-5 times until she wears herself out and plops down for a breather.

Since she's more fun to take on walks (but ends up wearing herself out easily) I bought her a PetARoo pet carrier. it's like a front backpack. My boyfriend makes fun of me and I do get curious glances, but I don't care. I love taking my little Delilah on walks and now we can go for as long as I like.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Pippin, rescue GSD, and I have returned to Fitbit tracking and updating MFP exercise diary.

• Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Dogs are awesome ;-) We have 2. I have a 13 lb Lhasa Apso/Maltese mix (Delilah) and my boyfriend has a 50 lb pit bull -- Princess.. And surprisingly, my little white ball of fur is the bully! Anyway, my little one is actually the BETTER walking companion. His dog, I swear suffers from ADD and is just too hyper and unfocused to take for a good heart pounding walk. She gets too distracted. MY little dog on the other hand, I tell people she is an awesome interval trainer ;-) She absolutely LOVES to run sporatically for like a minute or two and then she'll slow down a bit and then take off at a full sprint. Repeat this cycle for 4-5 times until she wears herself out and plops down for a breather.

Since she's more fun to take on walks (but ends up wearing herself out easily) I bought her a PetARoo pet carrier. it's like a front backpack. My boyfriend makes fun of me and I do get curious glances, but I don't care. I love taking my little Delilah on walks and now we can go for as long as I like.

Get your boyfriend to take Princess for a bike ride, then you take her for a walk. It will be easier and she'll be calmer.

I have two mixed breed bullies. They're great walking partners, and know commands like "pull", so if I'm running and tired or hiking or biking... they help. Ha ha.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Me too! I have a corgi and 90% of my workouts are with her. Today she just wanted to run with me and kept looking at me like dont stop please