1 pound a week consistently?

Options
Hi everyone! I haven't lost many pounds yet, so I am not well versed on how this works. I noticed that if I weigh myself on a weekly basis the scale doesn't show much movement (maybe a 0.2-0.4 loss). However, if I weigh myself once a month about a week after my cycle I drop about 4-5 pounds. I never weigh myself during my cycle because that would be all bad. Does this make sense? When you've lost is it consistent week over week or is there a lot of variation? Thanks for the help! :-)

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Hi

Welcome to MFP

This is a wonderful tool. I hope it is helpful to you.

I suggest not to focus on body weight, measure yourself (waist, thigh, wrist) or take a picture on a bathing suit and keep it for reference.

this link may be of help

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I weigh myself once a week at the same time (i.e Sunday morning when I get off bed). Body weight has a lot of fluctuation day to day and even within the same day.

This is a journey, not a destination.

Good luck in your healthy journey
  • HockeyGirl306
    HockeyGirl306 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself each Friday morning, right after I get out of bed (before breakfast or coffee too). I also take my measurements on weigh in day but every two weeks versus every week. This way if I have a couple weeks that are not so encouraging scale-wise, I can still see the results in the measurements. Since you are new to all of this, it may take some time for you to get into a rhythm.
  • bethest1
    bethest1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I don't mind eating healthy or exercising...it's the waiting for results that's making me nuts. ;-)
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    What you are saying makes perfect sense. If I had used the scale to judge my progress when I was losing I would have been quite frustrated.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't have the details of your current weight etc... IMO 1lb per week average is achievable over a prolonged period, once you start getting into healthy rate range then BMI / measurements are a better guide than weight.
  • Areneholmes
    Areneholmes Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I weigh weekly, but every body is different, and will lose weight/gain muscle and change in different ways. I think your approach is good, since you aren't seeing big numbers weekly, weighing monthly shows a more substantial number that may be more encouraging.

The waiting really got to me at first, too, but then working out became a fun routine for me- I have my favorite tunes on my MP3 and I get to the gym and just rock out. I'm really in love with the elliptical by myself, but lately I've discovered group fitness in a spin class once a week, so now some of my gym visits have a delightful social aspect. I'm also into challenging myself on the treadmill, chasing that 12 minute mile... I guess what I'm saying is that if you find some things that are fun for you, the time will fly by and the "waiting for progress" won't be waiting, you'll just realize you haven't weighed yourself in awhile and when you do it'll be a happy bonus. :)

Bored with your machine? Try a new one. Bored at the gym? Find a nice neighborhood, park, and power walk/jog or interval train. Make it new, make it fun, challenge yourself. Fill the time with all of these things. :) You can do it.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. It is normal to have weeks with little weight loss and others with larger losses.