Super sensitive to sodium

Options
I don't cook with salt, I never have, my parents rarely did, I've never eaten a lot of salt. I also never noticed just how much sodium effects me when I do eat much of it (for example a thing of nachos, or a side of fries, or even a salty sauce on my pasta), until I started tracking food here.
I've noticed that simply having a single serving of potato chips will cause enough bloating in me that my wedding ring fits more snugly and I have to loosen my Fitbit. That amount of swelling will last at least 48 hours, sometimes longer. If I eat something larger and saltier like gravy from a restarant, or Chinese food while I'm on the run (Panda Express) the swelling is not just in my hands but also my legs and stomach.
I know that it is not uncommon for excessive salt consumption to cause swelling and water weight gain, but I didn't think that 11 potato chips should be enough to cause that much swelling for such a long time. Is it just because I rarely consume salt and so I notice the side effects more readily, or is anyone else as sodium sensitive as me?

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it isn't another sort of allergy? A bit of sodium shouldn't cause you to swell up like that.
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    Yes, the only allergy I have is a slight lactose sensitivity but that doesn't cause any swelling.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    What kind of potato chips were they? You might be allergic to something that is in the gravy/chinese food/chips. MSG maybe? What happens if you just eat a teaspoon of regular table salt?
  • MarKayDee
    MarKayDee Posts: 196
    Options
    I haven't tried eating a spoonful of table salt, because I like my taste buds more than that. I suppose I could be wrong about it being sodium specifically that I am sensitive to but it seems odd to me that the only common denominator between the foods that cause my swelling is high sodium content, you'd think if it were an allergy I would experience it with non salty foods too?
  • AntnNicsMom
    AntnNicsMom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm a little late coming in to your post but I am super sensitive as well. I stay away from the nachos and fries but cheese alone kills me. I actually had some shredded parmesan earlier and my feet and hands are swollen already. Chinese food is something that I stay away from too...not sure if its the MSG or the sodium but I always feel awful after. My heart races, swelling, etc. I just drink extra water (I already do between 12-16 glasses a day) but there is no other way around it. I think its more that we rarely have it so when we do, it makes symptoms worse. I can taste the salt in everything. Definitely keeps me from eating crap! :smile: