…and ladies glow

Options
It was so warm today in St. Louis and so I took advantage of the gorgeous weather (it is supposed to snow tomorrow :noway: ) and worked outside in the yard and it reminded me of something my Grandmother used to say…
"Horses sweat, men perspire and ladies glow."

What are some of the funny things your grandparents used to say?

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Go grab the belt.
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Eat all your food.

^ Srsly grandma? I was full. Go awai .-.
  • victal
    victal Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    chin pie
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    My grandmother told me about one time she had really bad gas. That was funny. :smile:
  • SugarBaby71
    SugarBaby71 Posts: 3,630 Member
    Options
    "Eat your plate"
  • Kate
    Kate Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My Grandpa used to say: behave or I will give you a tin ear", but I never knew just what that was. I remember once, as my mom came driving up the road , my Grandpa commented "here she comes, with lard in her hair and her ears pinned back!"
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Not mine, but in my family, a grandmother to her granddaughter "if you keep spraying that perfume you will smell like a French *kitten*"

The granddaughter was 7 at the time.
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My foster grandfather had a huge gut. He'd tell me he got it from swallowing a watermelon seed. Needless to say for the next 12 years I was terrified of swallowing a seed. He also had this metal ashtray with engravings he would tell me how he was younger he was a cowboy and he snuck onto an indian reservation and stole it from the chiefs tent. The indians chased him on horse for 14 miles and he hid in a cave. He was a very entertaining man. Miss him greatly.
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    Eat all your food.

^ Srsly grandma? I was full. Go awai .-.

"…or you won't get dessert" was the rest of the sentence in our home. Not wise! :noway:
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    Go grab the belt.

^^^this^^ lol

To drop a fork means a woman will visit
    To drop a knife means a man will visit
    To drop a spoon means a child will visit
    To drop a dishcloth means bad luck is coming
  • DuckDynastyMakesMeLaugh
    Options
    The same grandmother didn't like when we would say we were "full". She said that we should say…
    "I have eaten to my entire satisfaction, anything else would be a mere superfluity."

I had a roommate from Texas whose dad said that he was "as full as a tick on a dog's back". Yikes! I HATE ticks! btw
  • Diesel_Girl
    Options
    My grandmother lost her middle finger to a brown recluse spider bite. She would often hold up her hand and say "read between the lines". I still find it hilarious to this day!