Protein Shakes - Are they healthy?

Options
kegan5
kegan5 Posts: 45 Member
Hello :)

I've tried googling for information on this but have yet to find a 'real' person answering without trying to sell something.

I've been doing T25 for 4 weeks and whilst I feel like I'm getting stronger, I don't really see a huge leap in terms of weight change... I understand I've only been doing it for 4 weeks but my stomach almost feels bigger now than it did when I started.

I keep reading about protein shakes on here and wondered if anyone could explain how they work? the benefits? Are they safe? What differences would I notice? I'm a vegetarian... would I notice a difference? Are they worthwhile?

Admittedly I'm not a fan of eating 'fake foods' or at least the idea of putting a powdered version of something into a drink just seems weird to me... however if such a move would help re start my metabolism or increase any nutrients that I might be lacking I'd be completely open to checking it out and trying it :)

Any help guidance would be really appreciated, I've also made my food diary public if anyone on here has any tips, notes or guidance with regards to that (I'm really struggling to find things to eat right now, I guess I'm over thinking my meals too much and end up eating the same things over and over again)

Replies

• sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing. In the research I've done, I think the general consensus is that "real food" (eggs, beans, meat, etc) is better for you because it's less processed, but there are a few out there that have limited processing. Jay Robb Whey Protein claims to be all natural (doubt that's 100% true but...) and it tastes all right,
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with T25 but I don't know how protein shakes aren't healthy. Everything in moderation in my opinion. I usually do one about three times a week for breakfast because it's easy for me to prepare and consume on the way to work. I know there are vegan protein powders available but looking at just a few days of your diet how is a Cadbury egg or Safeway waffles any less fake then a protein shake.
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I can understand how people can refer to 'real' food being better, but it just depends on the individual and how you use the protein powder etc.

Personally it took me a long time to be able to stomach anything in the morning, after 20+ years of not eating breakfast. Now I have a shake with the Jay Robb Vanilla Egg White Protein every morning. At the moment I am hooked on a pumpkin spice version:

4oz milk or water (I use Califia Almond Milk)
    1/2 cup pure pumpkin
    1/2 medium banana (I freeze in chunks and use these)
    1/2 to 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice (to taste)
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    1/2 tsp sweet leaf powder
    1 scoop Jay Robb vanilla egg white protein
    Ice cubes

Calories 260
    Carbs 32
    Fat 2
    Protein 26
    Fiber 6
    Sugar 15

I usually have this at 9am, workout from 11am to 12.30pm and then have lunch at 1pm. It keeps me full and seems to be working for me. I have lost 15lbs in 2 months.

I also occasionally mix the powder (chocolate flavor) in oatmeal for a change. To get a really smooth mix, I whizz the oatmeal flakes in a nut grinder first to make a fine powder. Them mix with hot water and add the protein powder last. If I add it before, it 'cooks' to a solid consistency.
  • kegan5
    Options
    I'm not familiar with T25 but I don't know how protein shakes aren't healthy. Everything in moderation in my opinion. I usually do one about three times a week for breakfast because it's easy for me to prepare and consume on the way to work. I know there are vegan protein powders available but looking at just a few days of your diet how is a Cadbury egg or Safeway waffles any less fake then a protein shake.

You make a decent point re the chocolate :) however I was implying more the fact that it wasn't a food in terms of chewing and eating it, I try not to deny things in my diet.. if I were to deny myself a bit of chocolate I would end up eating a whole lot more a month down the line so giving myself one bar I see is better than binging eventually ?

I just wondered what the benefits were from protein shakes? Do they assist when working out ?
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options

I just wondered what the benefits were from protein shakes? Do they assist when working out ?

I find it hard to eat enough protein via my meals, even with 4oz for lunch and dinner. By adding a protein shake, I meet my goals and have a balanced macro breakfast.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,992 Member
    Options
    It's just protein..........just protein. :indifferent:
  • HikerRR50
    HikerRR50 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    <--
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

THIS!!!! ^^^^

I have it in my steel cut oats. Every. Single. Day. :bigsmile:

See ticker.
  • KoopaSix
    KoopaSix Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    What kind of question is this...
  • kegan5
    Options

Ok ok I get that... I guess since I've never eaten meat and have always been under the impression that I get less protein than others that do eat meat that I wondered what a difference it would make to my diet and exercise... perhaps absolutely nothing but I guess that's what I should have said in my original post :)

but yes I did figure out that protein shakes contain protein :drinker:
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I would never reach my protein macros if it weren't for protein shakes and protein bars.

I suspect protein shakes are probably more healthy, in my diet, than no protein at all.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

You make a decent point re the chocolate :) however I was implying more the fact that it wasn't a food in terms of chewing and eating it, I try not to deny things in my diet.. if I were to deny myself a bit of chocolate I would end up eating a whole lot more a month down the line so giving myself one bar I see is better than binging eventually ?

Lol. And I totally wasn't trying to come off as snarky so sorry if I did. I more just meant everything in moderation. I love Cadbury eggs too. Thank goodness they are only out once a year. I don't consume any shakes pre am workouts cause something in my stomach doesn't sit well with me and I would probably get sick. I do try and get protein in after my evening workouts be it a protein shake or real protein because that is what my trainer advises and it works for me.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Oh no I understand the question totally, especially the bit about it being "fake" food. I just don't know the answer and I'm wondering that myself. I wandered into one of those "vitamin" stores to try to find some essence of lemongrass. Most of their stock was giant things of protein shake powder. Smelled horrible in there. Put me right off even considering protein shakes. I just sort of recoil from how artificial they are.

So please by all means educate me on protein shakes.
  • kegan5
    Options
    Lol. And I totally wasn't trying to come off as snarky so sorry if I did. I more just meant everything in moderation. I love Cadbury eggs too. Thank goodness they are only out once a year. I don't consume any shakes pre am workouts cause something in my stomach doesn't sit well with me and I would probably get sick. I do try and get protein in after my evening workouts be it a protein shake or real protein because that is what my trainer advises and it works for me.

I may do some more research into vegetarian/vegan protein drinks, I always get really hungry after a workout and perhaps one of these shakes would do the trick :) p.s. I didn't read any snarky-ness ha ha just had to have a look back through my diary to make sure I wasn't eating too many of those eggs :p
    Oh no I understand the question totally, especially the bit about it being "fake" food. I just don't know the answer and I'm wondering that myself. I wandered into one of those "vitamin" stores to try to find some essence of lemongrass. Most of their stock was giant things of protein shake powder. Smelled horrible in there. Put me right off even considering protein shakes. I just sort of recoil from how artificial they are.

So please by all means educate me on protein shakes.

Thank you! :) I feel the same way about those nutrition/vitamin stores filled with giant tubs of super protein powders... nonetheless I see people talking on here including VegasFit above and they seem to be getting on nicely with these powders so they must do something worthwhile ? :)
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    just my opinion, but no. I see nothing beneficial in them. I try to get all that is needed from food.

• Half a chicken breast (27 grams of protein, 62 cents per serving)
    • Three glasses of milk (23 grams of protein, 60 cents per serving)
    • Three scrambled eggs (20 grams of protein, 46 cents per serving)
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I find it quite easy to eat 150g of protein everyday without resorting to powder. If I were pushed for time then I imagine protein shakes would be useful, though.

Whether they are healthy or not, well I suppose it's like asking if vitamin tablets are healthy or not. Given that protein powder has a lot of nutrients added to it, you could overdose if you take too much protein powder. As someone said, everything in moderation.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    whey powder is real food. it's simply milk solids in concentrated form.

1 cup of milk has 8g of protein. 1 cup of milk mixed with 1 scoop of ON chocolate whey powder jumps that number up to 32g of protein. this gives you much more flexibility in choosing other foods to meet your daily macro goals.
  • RichardAshley39
    Options
    I'm trying to lose fat from the usual places it sticks to men.

I haven't ever considered protein supplements but would tend to agree that its only really a different form of vitamin replacement like seven seas or centrum offer for vit a or cod liver oil.

I would love to think that I could meet all my weekly goals for all these vitamins, proteins, carbs, sugars, sodium etc etc, but I find it really hard even with a pretty balanced diet. (of course with the odd curry thrown in for good measure).

I think if you feel as though your lacking something in your diet and your mfp calculator repeatedly shows this to be true perhaps a supplement is a good idea. All in moderation I say. Particularly the odd curry or two. I have know people who just look to have built too much muscle and it didn't look natural. Shape and definition are great but looking like the incredible hulk is bad. (he is green you know, its not a good look, luther ingo however did look good)
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Whey Protein is very quick for the body to absorb and is great in the first 20 minutes after a workout / after lifting.

If you're doing lots of cardio and aren't getting a lot of protein, you WILL lose lean muscle mass in addition to body fat. Geting plenty of protein will help to prevent this.

Yes - I eat lots of meat, chicken, fish and eggs but they are considerably higher calories than a 25g sccop of whey isolate in 200ml of water so I supplement with that.

Cassein protein is recommended before bed; it's slow releasing and will "drip feed the muscles" during sleep - again helping to prevent catabolysis (body eating it's own muscle for energy) whilst you are "fasting during sleep" (typically 6-8 hours release).

There's nothing wrong with it....
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Protein shake is a supplement and a supplement, by definition is something added to something else to complete or enhance it. Vegetarians can achieve protein goals like anybody else, as long as you know what you are eating.

There is a misconception based on trends, social networks and strong marketing that supplements will make you achieve results (and sometimes even faster). Possibly true that but you need to consider that a considerable amount of supplements in the market are also available in food (actually they are extracted form food sometimes).

Once again, if you know what you eat you can achieve the results wanted.

In my case I supplement because I just cannot eat at certain timings. I take a post workout purelly because i am not capable of eating straight after a workout and I take casein at night because I can't see myself getting out of bed to eat in the middle of the night.