Is anyone doing the whole30?

Options
2»

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your offer to help!!! It has been tough. Congrats to both of you for finishing a round and doing another one!!!! I am even doubting myself I can do a week!!!! But see a problem I have is that my husband likes to eat out when we are off and out and about...when I am home and at work I have no problem eating home cooked meals etc. I did go shopping this weekend for good quality meats and veggies. I did cook a good amount of turkey with onions to eat with my eggs for breakfast etc. My frittata this morning was delicious!!!! We ate out yesterday and today and I had a hard time finding something that met all the requirements, I did, but not easy....Today I cooked some bison burgers and made roasted butternut squash, spaghetti squash (I want to make the paleo pad thai I saw in the internet), I also roasted some sweet potato to eat with my eggs tomorrow morning. I sautéed some veggies for a couple of days. Tomorrow I am cooking some meats such as chicken and some shrimp.

Thanks again for your help!!! Annette
  • TaraLangston
    Options
    Today is my Day 1! I'm nervous about making it but excited!
  • Lacrumb
    Lacrumb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your offer to help!!! It has been tough. Congrats to both of you for finishing a round and doing another one!!!! I am even doubting myself I can do a week!!!! But see a problem I have is that my husband likes to eat out when we are off and out and about...when I am home and at work I have no problem eating home cooked meals etc. I did go shopping this weekend for good quality meats and veggies. I did cook a good amount of turkey with onions to eat with my eggs for breakfast etc. My frittata this morning was delicious!!!! We ate out yesterday and today and I had a hard time finding something that met all the requirements, I did, but not easy....Today I cooked some bison burgers and made roasted butternut squash, spaghetti squash (I want to make the paleo pad thai I saw in the internet), I also roasted some sweet potato to eat with my eggs tomorrow morning. I sautéed some veggies for a couple of days. Tomorrow I am cooking some meats such as chicken and some shrimp.

Thanks again for your help!!! Annette

It all sounds amazing! You are doing a lot of prep work - I know you'll have success! Eating out is super hard. I love to eat out but I try to do it a bit less on Whole 30. When I did my first W30, I was probably 95% compliant to the rules. I made good choices eating out, but I'm sure there was some butter, soy, or trace sugars here and there. I just didn't sweat it and considered how many great choices I was already making and figured it would even out! Do the best you can! :)
  • Lacrumb
    Options
    Today is my Day 1! I'm nervous about making it but excited!

Best of luck to you! I think you will really enjoy it!
  • alf1163
    Options
    I got off a little earlier from work and got home to some amazing cooking!!!! I made the pad thai, it is delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also made a Brazillian style coconut shrimp soup. It is to die for!!!! That is for tomorrow. I have plenty of leftover for the rest of the week. I need to start planning for next week already though.

Thank you for your encouragement. I did decide yesterday that I wasn't going to stress myself about any little mistakes I make, etc. I am still going to choose to eat healthy and stay within the guidelines. Today after I made the sunshine sauce for the pad thai I noticed that my sunflower seed butter has some sugar. No biggie!!! My husband and son can eat the leftovers!! :drinker:

:flowerforyou:
  • Lacrumb
    Options
    Your recipes sound delish! Where are you getting them from? Please share the sources! :happy:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Yes, sorry about that! One is http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/
    Also for the coconut shrimp soup this one: http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2012/10/brazilian-shrimp-stew-moqueca-de.html
    The pad thai here: http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/05/08/paleo-pad-thai/

I will share as I go along. I am getting ready to make the creamy avocado recipe that is in the book, It Starts with Food. Anyone has made it? :flowerforyou:
  • sidcianicliff
    sidcianicliff Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I started on Feb 25th. So I'm 17 days in. I love it!! But... I did slip up last Monday. I had friends over on Sunday and they brought over chocolate brownies with frosting (they left some of the leftover at my house) , and I bought a pizza from Walmart and loaded it up with ground turkey and veggies for the kids. I was good for dinner on Monday, but after dinner the brownies were calling, and the pizza looked really good. So I ate a square of the brownie and then a tiny sliver of pizza. So if you're going to be strict and follow the plan.. I'm supposed to start from scratch. So then I'm only 4 days in. It doesn't matter to me.. I feel great on the plan tho, I'm going to keep going... I really like the principles of the diet. It makes sense to me..

It really has helped me know when my cravings hit me... and why I have them. When I have an craving for something I usually go make a cup of tea and sip on that. It helps my craving subside. (I wished I had done that on Monday) lol...

I did make my own Lara bars, and that will satisfy my choc craving when I can't resist it. It's just dates, cashews, and unsweetened cocoa in the food processor. It's delicious!

I'm also finally losing the last few pounds that I've been trying to lose since the birth of my 3rd DS. Without counting calories too!! It's awesome!
  • alf1163
    Options
    sidcianicliff, good for you!!! And thank you for your honesty!!! I wonder how many people do have "slip ups" during the 30 days but don't want to admit it. I am only 6 days in, although I haven't had any slip ups on purpose, I have had traces of some foods that are excluded in the program. It is going to happen.

I need some ideas for recipes I can start cooking this weekend for the rest of the week. Can anyone share? I will look them up as well.

Thanks!! :flowerforyou:
  • Mrsred09
    Mrsred09 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Today is day 1 for me on this plan. I read the book and think this is something that will really help me on my journey to being healthy. If I find any recipes I will post on this thread. Tonight I am making these meatloaf muffins with prosciutto wrapped asparagus and sweet potato.

Makes 10-12 muffins

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for greasing the muffin tin
    ¾ cup finely diced onion
    ½ cup finely diced button mushrooms
    ½ cup finely chopped green bell pepper
    ¼ cup tomato paste 9 no sugar added
    1 tablespoon ground mustard
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    1 teaspoon finely minced fresh rosemary
    2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1 ½ pounds ground beef
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    ½ teaspoon garlic powder
    ¼ cup water

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the wells of a 12-cup muffin tin with olive oil.
    Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat and sauté the onions, mushrooms and peppers for about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow the vegetables to cool.
    In a small bowl, combine the tomato paste, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, rosemary, garlic and pepper.
    In a large bowl, mix together the beef, the reserved sautéed vegetables, eggs, thyme and garlic powder. Stir in half of the tomato mixture and combine well.
    Spoon the meat mixture into the greased muffin tin and bake for 10 minutes.
    While the muffins are baking, combine the remaining tomato mixture, and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a quick boil over medium-high heat, and then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the muffins are removed from the oven.
    Remove the muffins from the oven and spoon or brush the sauce on each muffin. Place the muffins back in the oven and bake for another 15 minutes, or until the internal temperature is 160°F.
    Allow the muffins to stand for about 5 minutes before eating.