Tips to save my dinner!

Options
whatthedeuce23
whatthedeuce23 Posts: 63 Member
Anybody have a tip for me? I made lentils with curry powder in my slow cooker and two things happened: one, it tuned into a thick sludgy goop (ah well) and it doesn't taste like curry powder at all: more of a bland, weird mix! So I'm gonna try eating it with rice to ignore the texture but I'm wondering how to flavour it other than franks red hot...suggestions? I don't want to waste the whole thing!

Replies

• CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    What about cooking up some cauliflower with Indian spices and add it - I would toss in some more spices too. But I like cauliflower...
  • whatthedeuce23
    whatthedeuce23 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    what spices would you use? I'm kind of a newbie to indian cooking - though i love it! I've only used curry powder and cumin
  • redsoxmj
    redsoxmj Posts: 31
    Options
    I feel like when I cook with curry it never tastes like curry anymore at all. And my house smells like Indian food for weeks. The only thing I really use curry in with it working is curry chicken salad: chicken, celery, grapes, in a mayo and greek yogurt with curry sauce.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    The only tip I got is you should try s&b curry mix. It's the best.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Cumin, turmeric, ground coriander is where I would start. Take a tablespoon of oil and toast these plus some mustard seeds if you got them. The seeds will pop like popcorn - it is kinda slick
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    The only tip I got is you should try s&b curry mix. It's the best.

I agree and would add Sharwoods to the list. Indian is my favorite food. After living and working 20 month with Tibetan refugees in Western Bengal I now make my own curry powder ( Garam Masala of all types). It takes maybe ten minutes once a month and a cheap electric coffee grinder I use only for spices and I get the authentic flavor, it's also much cheaper. Plus, living in India I learned that most westerners are afraid to use curry powder ( which does actually not exist in India ) in the correct amounts. They usually use 25% or less and many recipes are unfortunately adjusted to western preferences.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    what spices would you use? I'm kind of a newbie to indian cooking - though i love it! I've only used curry powder and cumin

If you google " home made Garam Masala " you will find hundreds of easy recipes to make your own " Curry powder ".