6:30 AM workout - what to eat?

Options
2»

Replies

• lunapetu0311
    Options
    I also exercise early morning. I don't eat unless I am doing a big workout (like running 4+ miles). Then I usually eat half a banana with about 1/2 TBSP of peanut butter. Or I will drink a cup of coconut water and 1 TBSP peanut butter. Good luck - try it out and see what feels best for you :)
  • amandalj
    amandalj Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If carbs are not present, the body will make some using muscle tissue. And this kind of carb you definitely don’t want -- it gets dumped into the blood, raising your level of insulin, which fights against fat-burning"

I'm no scientist, but that sure sounds like BS to me.

You should read some of the actual science on fasted exercise, actually. Here is one such summary, though I've read more: http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/15/phys-ed-the-benefits-of-exercising-before-breakfast/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

If I'm working out first thing in the morning, all I have is coffee unless I'm running longer than an hour - then I need something, but it's usually just a banana and...coffee :)

This. If I'm running long that morning ( for me, 7+ miles), I'll have some oatmeal and coffee but for weights or a short run I wait until after to eat.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I used to have a banana but now I have a protein shake. Do what works for you!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat before my morning workout unless I know I will be doing something intense or longer duration. My usual mornings are only 30 minutes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So here is the deal. I recently read this:

"Make sure you eat a little breakfast before your workout -- 75 to 150 calories of protein and carbs will do. If carbs are not present, the body will make some using muscle tissue. And this kind of carb you definitely don’t want -- it gets dumped into the blood, raising your level of insulin, which fights against fat-burning"

Generally I workout in the morning, after my cup of coffee (with coffeemate). Not sure if I truly believe this, but am willing to test the theory.

Suggestions on what might fit the bill here without feeling heavy or sloshy :blushing:

This is utter nonsense for the average Joe/Jane hitting the gym for a little fitness...30-60 minutes on the treadmill or elliptical or whatever.

I can only see this being valid (the muscle burning part) if you were actually training for some long endurance event totally fasted and trying to knock out a bunch of miles in your run or ride or whatever. When you're actually training vs. "working out", nutrient timing and quality of those nutrients becomes more important...but for the average Joe/Jane, this simply isn't going to happen with a little morning workout.

The part about it turning into some carb that is bad and the whole insulin bit is total bull**** that somebody just pulled out of there *kitten* and/or completely misinterpreted something somewhere.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I usually hard-boil a couple of eggs on Sunday evening, or grill a few high-meat-content sausages or burger patties. Then I grab one of those and maybe an apple or some oatcakes on my way out the door. Occasionally, I'll have a single-serve plain greek yoghurt. Mind you, this morning it was a hot cross bun and a couple of slices of strong cheddar cheese! I have a c.40 min bus ride to the gym, though, so whatever works for you. Irrespective of the science, I wouldn't want to exercise without having eaten something since the night before - guaranteed to make me feel ill and/or dizzy.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Fruit Smoothie

1/2 of 6 oz. cup Chobani 0% yogurt - any flavor
    1 cup Dole frozen cut strawberries, peaches and bananas
    1/2 cup skim milk

Blend in a blender until smooth. Add a little water if too thick.

I have that before my workouts and the high carb plus fat free protein is good. It never upsets my stomach.
  • wonderwoman234
    wonderwoman234 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add that I only started eating before workouts now that I do heavy weightlifting. I do 1 hour of lifting and then 30-40 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of abs/stretching. If I didn't eat, I think my lifting would suffer. After my workout, I feel very hungry and always eat soon after.

Pre-weight lifting days when I just did cardio at the gym or running outside, I always did it on an empty stomach without a problem.
  • pps7
    pps7 Posts: 46
    Options
    For a quick 30-4o minute work out, I don't eat. I just eat breakfast afterwards. If I am going to do a long run (6+ miles) then I have a 1/2 English muffin toasted with peanut butter and coffee an hour before, that's about 200 calories.