Running in the morning...

Options
I plan to do this once the weather warms up a bit (and if I can manage to get my lazy self out of bed... ^^;

So my question is for those who run in the morning, what's the protocol for breakfast? I need energy to run, but at the same time I don't want to feel too weighed down by the food I consume.

Obvious I know it can't be a big breakfast. I use to do protein shakes or fruit then wait about 15 minutes. Does this sound about right?

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before a morning run. My longest was 5 miles.

If you run a long distance perhaps the long distance runners would have a different answer.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm also curious to see the answers given.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Really depends on how far you're running, shorter runs shouldn't need much if anything at all. Longer runs, then maybe some toast or such.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    When I was starting, I did not eat anything pre-run.

Once I got past the 6 mile distance (an hour for me) I would usually have some water, a cup of coffee, and something with a good carb:protein ratio. For example: a piece of toast with peanut butter, greek yogurt with fruit, or a performance shake.

You have to listen to your body though and work with a trial and error process. It will respond to different fuel. Best of luck!!
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I've run up to 15 miles in the morning with no food. Your body supplies the energy you need from its glycogen stores and fat stores. Plus running with food in your belly gives you cramps. Go run and eat after.
  • AliceEstee
    AliceEstee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I run 5km most mornings. All I have beforehand is a coffee which is mostly made out of milk. I run MUCH better in the morning with no food, than in the evening having eaten during the day but also tired from the day.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I've reached the point where up to 10 mile runs are done with no breakfast before and no fuel on the run.

But it has been a slow evolution to that point over the course of two years of running.

Early on, anything over 5 miles (about 1 hour for me) I would eat a small amount (100 - 200 calories) before the run and then eat 100 calories every 45 minutes or so.

Now I can do a 2 hour run on an empty stomach with no fuel on the way.

Your body will adapt and get better at burning glycogen and/or stored fat, but it takes a while of that adaptation to occur.
  • kristendeyell
    kristendeyell Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Larabar :happy:
  • bluearmy28
    bluearmy28 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    As posted earlier I would say listen to your body but if your focused on weight loss you might start with eating nothing before you run in the morning- there are a few reasons for that but again if. It doesn't work for you then listen to your body.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    For short runs, most people don't need breakfast. It comes down to how your body reacts to running on an empty stomach. I do four to six miles with little more than water or a very light snack when running at 7am or earlier. For races, I usually eat a bagel or Clif bar before leaving the house just because of the time between getting out of bed and to the race location.
  • momma2azoo
    momma2azoo Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If I run shortly after waking up I don't eat first. I don't like the weighted down feeling of running after a meal. I'm not a huge early morning eater though. If you wake up ravenous, have a snack with a combo of complex carbs and protein before you head out to run.

I'm working my way back into running (via C25K) after an unplanned lay up. My longest runs when I was running often were only 4.5-5 miles. At that short a distance, I didn't need to eat first and didn't find that I ran or felt better after eating. Now I'm running the majority of two miles and walking a bit over another mile as warm up/cool down. Don't need to eat first at all.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Short runs of an hour or less I eat a banana half hour before. Longer runs of 90 minutes or more I eat 1000 calories about 2 hours before hand and keep a banana or gel handy.
  • Mrscanmore
    Mrscanmore Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before running either. My stomach is very sensitive when I run! I've also given up snacking before bed, so if I'm feeling really hungry in the morning, I have something really small - a couple of grapes, a bite of banana, etc.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I run most every morning, always on an empty stomach. I get crampy if I eat before I run.

I run marathons on an empty stomach as well (just ran my 27th one on Sunday). If I'm running long enough, then I'll have some carbs (gel or bloks) during my run as needed.

Like all things running, just figure out what works best for you through trial and error. All it took me was a couple crampy runs to figure out I was happier if I didn't eat.