Squatting tips?

Options
I am trying to complete a 30 - day squat challenge, and I can't seem to get my form right.

I either can't keep my balance or feel like I am straining my back or something.

I'm annoyed because it seems easy enough but I can't seem to get it right.

Can anyone give me pointers? Am I the only person to struggle with this?

I have noticed holding a weight does help with my balance a little but the soreness next day is unbearable. I'd like to be able to work up to weighted squats.

Replies

• aml0513
    aml0513 Posts: 20
    Options
    keep your weight in your heels. lift your chin to help keep a straight back. feet shoulder width apart, feet at about 45 degrees. verryyy important not to rock your weight into the front of your feet.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    I'm no expert but I find that the wider my stance the better my balance is. Also, make sure to keep your abs pulled in tight and make sure your knees never go over your toes. Placing your arms out in front of you as you squat down helps too. I actually place a chair behind me sometimes to keep myself in check. Make sure your rear touches the seat. Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I swear to god I feel like a Weeble trying to do them. And it's more frustrating because a few months ago I could knock them out no problem.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    when i do air squats, i find holding my arms straight in front help with balance since i have the tendency to want to tip forward rather than sit down and back.

if you feel like you're straining our back then you might be coming too far forward. tighten your core, concentrate on sitting down and back (almost like you're sticking your butt out) and think of it like spreading the floor apart with your knees when you go down. go for at least parallel or post parallel even better, ATG if you've got the mobility.

andthe best way to work up to weighted squats is to start with a little weight then progressively increase that weight
  • chelso0o
    chelso0o Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I really liked this article. It not only shows proper form, but how to correct any issues leading to improper form.

http://www.builtlean.com/2011/12/22/how-to-increase-squat-depth/
    Options
    There is also some good videos on google. Sometimes it helps to have a visual.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but I find that the wider my stance the better my balance is. Also, make sure to keep your abs pulled in tight and make sure your knees never go over your toes. Placing your arms out in front of you as you squat down helps too. I actually place a chair behind me sometimes to keep myself in check. Make sure your rear touches the seat. Hope this helps. :flowerforyou:

the no knees over the toes is a myth, for those us with long femurs and tibias it's impossible to get to a post parallel or ATG squat without knees going over toes
  • kerri007
    kerri007 Posts: 123
    Options
    best advice keep your weight in your heels, squat low, hips below knee, back semi strait, when going down stick *kitten* out, look forward and chest up and go slow
  • auntdeedee87
    Options
    Wow, thanks yall!
  • auntdeedee87
    Options
    Tomorrow is leg day, I'm excited to give these a shot.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    pick up a copy of starting strength ..it breaks down squat mechanics and really helped me with my form .

goblet squats and/or wall squats should help you with that..

wall squat..stand with your face about 5 inches from the wall and try to squat down without your face hitting wall or falling back..it is tough (I had a hell of a time with these) both they really help with distributing balance properly...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

the no knees over the toes is a myth, for those us with long femurs and tibias it's impossible to get to a post parallel or ATG squat without knees going over toes

i was going to say the same thing...
    Options
    Good luck on your challenge. I did one last year and I loved it.
  • auntdeedee87
    Options

i was going to say the same thing...

I have such a hard time with this! I wonder if that's part of the problem.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,116 Member
    Options

The not letting the knee go over the toes is more a way to help people avoid primarily bending at the knee to start rather than pushing the hips back. Keep your weight toward your heels (I sometimes lift my toes up in my shoe to make sure of this), break at the hips pushing your butt back to start. If you keep your weight to your heels, with the hips going back to start your form will likely be good. There are a bunch of good videos on Youtube on bodyweight squat form.
  • melfitnesspal13
    melfitnesspal13 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    aside from all the good videos on youtube, I like to imagine squatting down so that I don't touch the most disgusting toilet seat on earth. Leaning way back and ensuring my knees are straight in line with my ankles, never allow the knees to go forward or you will be in major pain. they do get much easier....:flowerforyou:
  • autumn_skye
    autumn_skye Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day squat challenge (without weights) in January. Keep your chin up- the easiest way to do this is to focus on an object a little higher than your standing eye-level. Also, stick your butt out a little and imagine yourself sitting. This worked for me and I varied my stance (closer together or wider apart) so I wouldn't get bored, especially towards to the end when you are doing 200+/day. Good luck!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Practice squatting while sitting back to a box behind you. Watch yourself in the mirror to make sure your back doesn't round. Get a feel for when you hit parallel. Try to keep your shins as vertical as possible.

To get your correct foot positioning, jump in the air. Where your feet land, that's how far they're supposed to be apart.

At the top of the squat, squeeze your *kitten* and abs as hard as you can and try to maintain it throughout the up and down. This will protect your spine. Think chest up and shoulders down too. Head in a neutral position. Take a deep breath before dropping down and hold it until you get back to the top.

Your first movement dropping down should be butt back.

The extreme muscle soreness only happens after the first, maybe, second day squatting. Stick with it, it pays huge benefits.
  • auntdeedee87
    Options
    You are all fantastic! I incorporated yesterday's squats into an interval workout and totally nailed them. I am feeling it today in both the worst and best way. Haha. Thank you all!

I did find I definitely can't rush them, and the lifting my toes in my shoes helped a lot too.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

to an extent- but it's different than the "on the toes tipping forward knees going over" issue.

two different things.

also doing the "I'm going to catcha foot ball" with my hands (hands in front) helps with body weight squats- or hold on to a chair.