23, 6'2", 285lbs need to loose 60lbs FAST

Options
I am 24 years old, 6'2" and over the past 2-3 years I have let myself go from roughly 220lbs to 285lbs. I work full time as a music producer so I am constantly sitting for anywhere between 10 and 16 hours a day. However recently a fairly huge opportunity to start a band (life long dream) with full management and label backing has presented itself. As many of you maybe aware of image is everything in music these days so I NEED to figure out the best plan to loose this weight ASAP.

Before a bunch of you come in here and say that its not health to do this, I fully understand this. I am at a point in my life where I feel this is my last real shot to achieve my dreams so I am willing to overlook the health issues.

Currently my plan is to start running/walking? 2 miles twice a day everyday and perhaps start some sort of fast to jump start weight loss. Am I on the right track? I currently do not workout whatsoever I also am a complete beginner when it comes to this and again I understand its not healthy, I just need results asap.

Replies

• silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I am 24 years old, 6'2" and over the past 2-3 years I have let myself go from roughly 220lbs to 285lbs. I work full time as a music producer so I am constantly sitting for anywhere between 10 and 16 hours a day. However recently a fairly huge opportunity to start a band (life long dream) with full management and label backing has presented itself. As many of you maybe aware of image is everything in music these days so I NEED to figure out the best plan to loose this weight ASAP.

Before a bunch of you come in here and say that its not health to do this, I fully understand this. I am at a point in my life where I feel this is my last real shot to achieve my dreams so I am willing to overlook the health issues.

Currently my plan is to start running/walking? 2 miles twice a day everyday and perhaps start some sort of fast to jump start weight loss. Am I on the right track? I currently do not workout whatsoever I also am a complete beginner when it comes to this and again I understand its not healthy, I just need results asap.

First of all, you aren't going to find help for an extreme diet here. Just a note.

You burn a natural number of calories everyday; this is called basal metabolic rate, or BMR. Based on your height, rate, age and activity level, this calculator (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/) says you naturally burn 2618.15 calories a day. That's the number it takes to keep you alive. So in order to lose, you must eat less than that. It takes about ~3500 calories burned to lose 1 pound. Eating below your BMR is known as a deficit.

Fasting will not help to jumpstart your diet. When you begin eating again, your body will try even harder to prevent you from losing weight. I advise you to follow a consistent deficit. Running is also a good idea; you may find you really like it and find it relaxing.
  • JG762
    JG762 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Do you need both legs or can you afford to lose one, that might be 60lbs...

You already know the answer to your question you just don't want to hear it, welcome to the club you're in good company.
    If you're serious about losing weight do it the right way and you won't regret it, there are no easy/fast answers.
    Good luck.
  • mellowkate
    mellowkate Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Broken record, everyone here will say there's no fast way to do it. (If there was, everyone would do it.)

THAT SAID -- if you haven't been active or really cautious about your daily consumption, start moving and start counting calories, and the pounds will start falling off pretty quickly. Honestly! Just stick with it.

If you feel discouraged when you're starting out, remember that one plus of carrying more weight is that when you exercise, with the same amount of exertion, you'll burn more calories than someone with a lower BMI. So you've got that going for you, which is nice. :) This, of course, means that as you lose weight, you'll need to work harder to burn that same amount of calories, but the good news is that when you reach that point, you'll have been at your routine a while, so you'll be stronger and fitter, so it won't be so bad.

It's not impossible, and you CAN do it. Just hang in there.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

First of all, you aren't going to find help for an extreme diet here. Just a note.

You burn a natural number of calories everyday; this is called basal metabolic rate, or BMR. Based on your height, rate, age and activity level, this calculator (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/) says you naturally burn 2618.15 calories a day. That's the number it takes to keep you alive. So in order to lose, you must eat less than that. It takes about ~3500 calories burned to lose 1 pound. Eating below your BMR is known as a deficit.

Fasting will not help to jumpstart your diet. When you begin eating again, your body will try even harder to prevent you from losing weight. I advise you to follow a consistent deficit. Running is also a good idea; you may find you really like it and find it relaxing.

Close but not quite. Eating below your BMR for an extended period of time is called starvation beause your body isn't getting the nutrients you need to, like they said, *Keep you ALIVE*. You need to Net at least your BMR for sustainable weight loss and eat below your TDEE (the number MFP dictates you burn with the amount of activity you do daily.

Start with the plan you have, it might surprise you how fast the weight will actually come off with some activity. Also look at what you eat, portion sizes and types of foods. If you replace just one fast food meal with a 4-6oz chicken breast and a large greens salad with 2 tbsp. of dressing, it can easily save you 400-1200 calories a day depending on what you get, which comes to roughly 1lb a week.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    okay good plan on the getting started part. I started out that way back in august and just now hit my 60lb mark the beginning of this month. :smile: every ten lbs you lose doing it the healthy way is going to make you look ten times better I swear. Make sure you drink tons of tasty H20 also. it helps with loose skin and gives you a natural glow. Every time you lose ten lbs or so take your butt to your local goodwill and get some properly fitting clothes. I know how appearance can affect your job: I am a bartender/waitress. Having a healthy glow, awesome smile and personality and properly fitting clothing makes a world of difference. You need to take this as a one day and one week and one lb at a time tkind of thing. Set yourself a bunch of small goals so each time you reach a goal its a big deal and keeps you motivated. I keep a food journal with me at all times. it helps a lot. the first few weeks is a learning process to balance life and work, food and exercise. Getting bogged down by such a huge number when you first start is overwhelming. I suggest aim tor the first ten percent of your starting weight then work for 5% more and so on. Before you know it, you will have lost it. You can do it. Just stick with it. Hey the best part is that you are young and a guy. Guys always lose it faster because they turn it into muscle. Which brings me to that: start with weight lifting right away. Even if its just your own body weight: pushups, pull ups, squats, dips on the couch/coffee table. Muscles burn up some fat for sure. :drinker: oh yeah and instead of sitting while producing music try standing at the computer: put it at a higher spot. or do leg curls at the chair. anything that gets you moving is great. just a thought.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Fasting will not help to jumpstart your diet. When you begin eating again, your body will try even harder to prevent you from losing weight.

This is not true. My ticker disagrees.

OP I am in your industry and I understand your desperation and the need to cut fat fast. Yes it's possible to lose fast, and even keep it off, depending on your fortitude and how well you transition off of a fast plan. It's untrue that you can't lose very fast, and it's even possible to do so safely and maintain your loss. But most people are weak, and aren't able to pull it off. And MFP is the last place on the internet where you're going to get support, or facts, about fast weight loss. I suggest you do a google search and look elsewhere.