Vegan/7 Challenge Question&Info

Options
Hello all! I have a question for the vegans and nutrition experts on here!

I'm not going into great detail here unless asked, so long story short: I recently read this book called "7" and I need to choose only seven foods to consume during the next forty days (no, it isn't a diet book). However, I'm vegan and I am trying to make sure that I do this in a healthy way and get all the essential proteins and amino acids and what not. So, I was wondering if y'all could put in your two cents and help me choose my 7. :)

This is not a weight loss diet, it's a religious fast.

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I want to help, but I can't think of a way this would be healthy.

If you are going to go for it no matter what, I'd include tofu, lentils, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, broccoli, berries, and almonds. But really, I wouldn't do this.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I want to help, but I can't think of a way this would be healthy.

If you are going to go for it no matter what, I'd include tofu, lentils, quinoa, pumpkin seeds, broccoli, berries, and almonds. But really, I wouldn't do this.

This.

What is the purpose of eating only 7 foods for forty days?
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I am aware that it sounds crazy. It's a religious thing. It's not impossible. People survive on much less every day. :)
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    You may want to edit your OP to clarify that it's for religious reasons. You'll get a lot less flaming, and a lot of people don't read past the first post before commenting.
  • Dementedllama
    Options
    You're right. Thank you!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Broccoli. Lots and lots of broccoli.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I've heard that rice and beans provides a complete source of vegan protein (when combined). So maybe that would be a solid base for your meals? Then you'll need nuts for fats and I suppose fruit/veg for fibre. Sorry I can't offer much more help but hopefully some experienced vegans can give you some suggestions. Think there's a chart somewhere online defining vegetarian protein sources: take a look!
  • Dementedllama
    Options
    Thanks!
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have no vegan knowledge but I personally would do, beans, rice, green vegetables, fruit, nuts, and tea. So if you have to get more specific maybe, beans, rice, broccoli, spinach, apple, orange, nuts, an tea? I see no reason to not just do a group like (green veggies instead of specific like broccoli) I think giving up bread, and other vegan "treats" would be a good sacrifice.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    As a vegan, the three nutrients you need to be careful of are B12, iron and calcium. Everything else is super easy and abundant in a healthy vegan diet. This ultra restriction you're going on makes things harder obviously. I wouldn't recommend it, but it probably wont cause too much trouble in just a month (obviously you'll need to be extra vigilant about things going wrong and be prepared to abandon the exercise).

The general guideline should be lots of grains/legumes, and a good amount of vegetables with different colours. Do that and you should be fine.

Puy (French) lentils have the most iron / calorie amongst lentils, and also slightly lower calories / gram I think, but they're typically slightly more expensive than green or brown lentils.

Tofu can have very high amounts of calcium, depending on how it's pressed. For instance "Soya King hard tofu" has 80% rdi calcium for 155 calories (125g). It needs to be pressed in calcium carbonate, but check the label - you may have to go to an Asian grocer to get a good range of options.

Brown rice is also very filling and nutritious. It's best if you soak it before cooking. I often soak rice for up to two days, but just half a day makes a big difference. The longer you soak it the closer it comes to germination and therefore more nutritious.

I agree with others about broccoli. Quinoa is also great, but it's relatively expensive (hear anyway).

Whole pumpkins are excellent. You can include the seeds and skin for more varied nutrients and flavour but still call that one food I think. Bake pumpkin skin into chips - yum. Pumpkin has excellent nutrition and super low calories. You can eat until you're sick and stay below your calorie goal easily.

You're going to struggle with B12. If you're doing this for 40 days, try having a Red Bull each of the 5 days leading up to it, and again afterwards. B12 stays in your body for 6 months so you don't need it daily, but you do need to keep the level up or you can develop some serious problems over time.

I wouldn't worry too much about fruit unless you really want it. And I wouldn't bother with bread. If you did puy lentils, brown rice, tofu, pumpkin, broccoli, then just add two of your favourite vegetables, I think you'd be fine. Maybe avocados for the fat soluble vitamins.

Good luck, and don't push it if you get problems
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Potatoes, lettuce, and a few of your favorite fruits. That's what i'd go with.
  • Happy4Fitness
    Options
    I am sure nothing bad happens to your body even if you eat only a melon for 40 days. Your body has accumulated all the vital micro and macronutrients to survive over possible periods of fasting (if it comes in winter, for instance). You will not become protein deficient, so no need to combine protein sources.
    Chose your favourite foods, the ones you can enjoy for 6 weeks without cravings and go!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I am sure nothing bad happens to your body even if you eat only a melon for 40 days. Your body has accumulated all the vital micro and macronutrients to survive over possible periods of fasting (if it comes in winter, for instance). You will not become protein deficient, so no need to combine protein sources.
    Chose your favourite foods, the ones you can enjoy for 6 weeks without cravings and go!
    Protein can't be accumulated; it is processed and used or expelled.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Im Vegan, i guess if i had to choose just 7, i'd do more reserarch on the superfoods and go for a balance of nutrients throughout that range, and also consider the versatility of the food, so i could bake.steam, roast, blend etc and have many different dishes.

Good luck