Vegetables - YUCK!

Options
Hi all,

I am not a fan of vegies. Knowing how good they are for a body, how filling they can be, and how low calorie they are, I know I should eat them.

How do you go from YUCK to YUM???

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• sevangelista
    Options
    Try balsamic vinegar olive oil and grey upon in a blender...use that as a marinade and then grill all the vegetables. Awesome!
  • ktgirl20
    ktgirl20 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sweet potatoes taste like desert.
  • wocm15
    wocm15 Posts: 81
    Options
    I make them spicy! For some reason I'll eat just about any vegetable as long as it's spicy! :explode: I also love to stir fry them (use a nonstick pan so very little to no oil is needed) to add more flavor as well. Works amazingly well with broccoli, asparagus, and squash. Just watch your sodium if you use soy sauce. Can't stand just plain steamed veggies, even though I know those are the best kind for you....:ohwell:
  • bsweettt
    Options
    I spread lite laughing cow cheese (and flavor, the 35 cal wedge ones) onto anywhere from 2-4 pieces of 5'' celery sticks.. the cheese really goes a long way! 4 sticks with the cheese is about 55 calories and filling, see as the celery is basically water! it's become my new obsessive snack =]
  • efc25
    efc25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Many people grew up eating overcooked, oversalted, or canned vegetables. Try fresh or frozen instead, for starters, and you'll get a much wider variety of textures to chew on. Try starting with a completely new veggie, something you don't have bad associations with--many people haven't eaten much kale before, for instance, and I think it can be a "gateway vegetable" when prepared using my favorite recipe so that it turns into veggie chips: break up the leafy part into chip-sized pieces, discarding the stem. Wash and spin the leaves dry, then spread them on a baking sheet, pour 1 tblsp of olive oil over them, and use your hands to rub the oil on the leaves so they all get a light coat. Spread them out into a single layer, sprinkle with a little salt and pepper (later try other seasonings!), and bake for about 10 minutes at about 375. Check them pretty regularly towards the end of the cooking time, you want them to get to be a crispy dull green-turning brown, but not all the way brown (then they taste burned). Try other things! Almost any non-delicate vegetable (brussel sprouts, carrots, beets, potatoes, onions, broccoli, I could go on and on) tastes good this way.

Grilling is indeed awesome, also you can try gently steaming things (don't cook too long--soggy, wet veggies are YUCK for sure!) and then putting on a light sauce. Try Asian stir-fry recipes, anything chopped up small and cooked quickly at high heat will retain its snap and good texture. Good luck!
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I don't have much help to give since I love all vegetables. Haha. I recently wanted to try brussel sproats and have never roasted any veggies or used oil. I tossed them in olive oil and some kosher salt and roasted them for about 40 minutes at 400. Shaking the pan every 15 minutes or so so they brown evenly. Wait until they start to blacken. Trust me.. It's so good. :) My kitchen smelled like french fries. Haha
  • jillerin457
    Options
    I would give the opposite advice of efc25. As a tenuous vegetable-eater at best, I very much prefer them when they are not super-textury. That extra "crunch" just gags me. Research seems to be divided over whether canned/fresh/frozen are equally nutritious (the differences may be negligible), but I'm sure that in any case, they're all better than no vegetables at all, so I'm okay with soft broccoli or canned green beans.

Unfortunately, the best ways to make them more edible are often the most caloric: sauces and salad dressings! But dipping them from a separate dish can be a better way to control the portion than pouring the sauce/dressing directly onto the main dish.

Another trick is to make them "invisible" -- finely shredded carrot is barely detectable in a turkey meatloaf, for example. Real vegetables are definitely better than vitamin supplements, so however you can trick yourself into eating them, go for it!