Protein Foods

Options
I feel like i don't eat enough protein. Going grocery shopping tomorrow what should i buy that has lots of protein. I don't eat red meat(religious reasons), i eat turkey, chicken breast, and fish but i barely have time to cook so is frozen ok?

Replies

• R3dVamp
    R3dVamp Posts: 18
    Options
    Frozen is ok, but you get better nutrients from fresh food's. Alternatively you can try protein shakes, I struggled to eat my daily protein requirements so I supplement.
  • owenmhartley
    owenmhartley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Eggs, Greek yoghurt, nuts, cottage cheese
  • CoreyGDS
    CoreyGDS Posts: 10
    Options
    protein powder.....then you can supplement (shakes etc)
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Frozen is fine. In fact many frozen vegetables and fish are fresher than those that have been sat on shop shelves for a while as they are frozen very quickly after harvesting/catching.

Canned tuna is a great protein sauce, and other tinned fish such as sardines and mackerel are good for protein and healthy fats.

Good non- meat sources are:

Cheese
    Milk
    Greek yoghurt
    Soya 'meat' / tofu
    Quorn
    Seitan
  • WampBreh
    WampBreh Posts: 15
    Options
    If that is you in your profile pic then I don't understand why you want to lose weight - you look healthy.
    Also, what makes you 'feel' you aren't getting enough protein? I bet you are getting enough...

But yeah, all the advice given so far answers your question.
  • GarryA1987
    GarryA1987 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for a great source of protein then try these:

http://goldstandardnutrition.co.uk/steam-cooked-chicken-fillets/

You simply defrost and eat them cold, they genuinely taste delicious and as they are steam cooked they keep all the good nutrients. I cook up some frozen broccoli and brown rice, mix in a tablespoon of healthy honey and mustard dressing and that gets me to of my meals a day when I am at work.

I buy 2 x bags a month and it costs me about £40 from my local gym.

I also supplement with a good quality protein shake (MuscleTech Phase 8 - low carb, high protein and slow release)
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    eggs, lentils, cottage cheese, milk, beans
  • a_de_jong
    a_de_jong Posts: 17
    Options
    all of the above... and chickpeas!
  • RichardAshley39
    Options
    ha, sorry to jump in!!

this pic above is brilliant ^^^^. Made me laugh, very cute indeed.
  • flikster76
    flikster76 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    All the above and mushrooms and nuts
  • minusonali
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    Eggs, Greek yogurt, nuts, cottage cheese

This...

Quinoa
    Whey / Casein Protein Blends

Here is a great list that goes into further detail of foods with protein in them.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/protein-foods.html

Happy eating!
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I don't find a ton of time to cook either. The two easiest things for me, protein wise:

Fish: my local grocer sells bags of individually wrapped frozen fillets of various fish for around $5, and I easily get 6-8 pieces per bag. Take it out of the plastic, sprinkle it with desired seasonings and microwave it for 2-3 min. Delicious fish in no time at all.

Chicken: I buy big bags of frozen bone/skinless chicken breasts, and cook it all at once. 1 hour in the oven on a Sunday, then I wrap and freeze them myself. Again, 3 minutes in the microwave, and dinner's done :)
  • minusonali
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas!