Please help a clueless and harassed Uni student

Options
I will start my weight loss plan tomorrow and am currently researching as much as I can today. I know the need for a proper, healthy diet and exercise, but the problem is, I am busy. VERY BUSY. Between having to sit down for 4 hour long lectures, pulling all nighters over my paperworks and thesis and general hospital duties, I have not yet found an achievable plan on how to incorporate weight loss in my daily schedule. Formulating exercise programs are no problem for me since I have basic know-how, but I think I might have a little problem with meals and finding time to exercise.

So, if any of you guys, any wonderful soul kind enough to give me a little bit of advice would like to help out, please do! I don't care if you berate me or tell me I'm just being lazy. Advice is advice and I will be grateful for the effort. Thank you! :)

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    You don't need time for weight loss, you need a calorie deficit, it's that simple.

If you want to exercise on top of that, you need to make time for it.

We're all busy!
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Try to get up just 15 minutes earlier - it may not sound like much but it's a good place to start - I've found some short (10 minute) cardio workouts on youtube. I try to do ONE as well as a little arm and ab work - whole thing 15-20 minutes TOPS. It may not sound like much - but like I said - it's a start.

Also as a college student - you should be able to walk to class and around campus - that helps - just up your pace to get the heart moving. Many colleges have a fitness/rec center - the one here has a huge fitness room/pool/indoor track and gyms - as well as classes. It is all included in a $50 fee that my son HAS TO PAY as part of his student fees. Use the place - they usually have trainers, etc. as well. Especially if there is a sports program at the school.

Also - the base of weight loss is creating a deficet - that means you take in less than you burn. Even if you don't do any exercise - eat less, watch your portions and don't get stuck in the "I have to have a salad mode" because sometimes there is more calories in the dressing than there is in a burger. Pay attention to your food. I would say the majority of weight loss is in the kitchen - not the gym.

Good luck. - the big kicker is you have to WANT to change - which means you need to MAKE the time. Not just find it.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I think planning in advance will be the best thing for you. Prepping your meals so that you turn to healthy stuff instead of junk while you're studying or at placement will help you be successful.

For example, make a few meals on a day you're at home studying. It doesn't have to be gourmet stuff. Just marinade a few lbs of chicken and throw it in the oven. While that is in the oven, boil some beans/quinoa/rice. You could probably even throw in some veggies to cook with the chicken. Or heck, make a chili in the slow cooker. It will probably take you 30 minutes of prepping the food and another hour of just keeping on eye on the stove. But you could do this all while studying. Then just let the food cool down, throw it in some ziplock/lunch containers and have it with you while you are on the go.

As for working out, time is a factor. A 10-15 minute hiit session is better than not working out at all. So maybe just dedicate a little time to yourself 3-4 times a week.

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • idkimfathelp
    idkimfathelp Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you, ladies! :heart:
  • nenshali
    nenshali Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Find something that you ENJOY. This way, whatever exercises you might do, it will not only benefit your weight loss journey, but also support you to relax and have an active break from studying, so it'll be easier to remember the whole stuff.

I totally understand that finding time for meals is hard. I would pre- prepare stuff.
    If you like oatmeal; overnight oats (oats in a glass with milk/yogurt and fruits or whatever you like, there areTONS of possibilities! Simply put them in te fridge over night and enjoy them later) are a great way to get a satisfying breakfast, full of nutrition and it will not only fill you up, but give you energy. For studying, for exercising, for whatever you need!

And for lunch etc., I would pre- cook and portion what you get out of that. So instead of making 1 portion of pasta with vegetables and meat, make 4 portions, but the others away. If you have a freezer, freeze some stuff in. That way it'll be easier to find some variation, you can just heat stuff up. That can save you time.

And some general advice; all nighters ca be stressful. If somehow possible, try to avoid them, sleep is necessary!
    Create a positive attitude around you. Turn on some music. ALWAYS have water and/or tea around you. Healthy snacks! Fruits and nuts are great for studying and don't need much preparation (if eating nuts, of course watch out for the portion sizes, they are healthy but if you eat too many, holding your kcal deficit will be quite hard).

http://8tracks.com/hkrais/collections/work-listening
    http://8tracks.com/chylerleigh/learn-to-love-learning
    http://coffitivity.com/

some people hate background noises and/or music while studying, but maybe give them a try. :flowerforyou: I feel like I am much more concentrated since I use them.
    That was a little off- topic maybe, but if you use your time for studying effectively, you will be able to make more time for preparing meals and/or exercise, so eventually this will just benefit you.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • daydreamblighter
    Options
    Do you watch TV? Do you go to bars?

If you answered yes to either of those questions then you have time to exercise. It's just a question of priorities.

Jillian Michaels "30 Day Shred" DVD requires 25 mins per day and is done at home. It's awesome.

On the plus side, you'll feel more energised and motivated, so you'll probably be more productive for the rest of the day too.
  • daydreamblighter
    Options
    Also, cooking great-tasting, nutritious food does not have to take a long time or be expensive.

Check out "Jamie's 15 Minute Meals". You'd be amazed how easy it is.

http://amzn.com/071815780X
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Exercise is great and I don't want to suggest NOT to do it... but you don't need time for weight loss. You just need to eat fewer calories than your daily energy expenditure. You don't even need to eat healthier, though I wouldn't want to sway you away from trying that either. So while you're super busy, you can just try to eat less.
  • itsfatum
    itsfatum Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You don't need time for weight loss, you need a calorie deficit, it's that simple.

If you want to exercise on top of that, you need to make time for it.

We're all busy!

You won't get it easier to understand than that.

You don't have time for your studies, you are MAKING time for your studies. Same goes with everything, and that includes exercise or nutrition.

Take it easy. Reserve one hour a day for health, be it working out or researching how to workout/eat healthy. Spend one hour less doing something, and dedicate that hour to it.

"OMYGAWDZ, but that won't be quick!!" And it f'ing won't! If you want it fast you'll have to devote a minimum of four hours a day to studying/researching nutrition and exercise theory, plus working out (and even then, it wouldn't be quick, more like six months to a year on your own without premade fitness programs).

I bet you can't do that, so use your work ethic and apply it to your health. Just like with studying, it is not about working out the day before the wedding/whateverotherevent. It's about the slow process of doing a little every single day. So little you don't realize how much you are changing/learning until you look back and think: "Holy F! That's crazy!"
  • girlinky
    girlinky Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi Clueless and harassed. I'm also a uni student ...juggling a PhD, family commitments and work. I've experimented with meals and exercise and have found I really need to have flexible options in order to be able to manage my eating and exercising. If I can, I'll half-prepare meal components for the whole week like having salad and veg components prepared for a few days so I can quickly throw a meal together, or I'll cook enough steel cut oats for 5 days of breakfast etc. But I'll also have packaged foods in my bag for long days at uni like tuna snacks packs etc which are portion controlled and easy to track with calories. It took me a couple of weeks to get an idea for what worked for me.

Exercise: I had lofty ideas that I would get up early and fit in both aerobic and strength before I toddled off to campus, but now I just try and make sure I fit in at least 20mins a day and cycle between the two. Hope this helps
  • Spacegirlley
    Spacegirlley Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When I was at uni years ago, I lost 10kg by swimming and studying at the same time. I took my books to the pool, read a chapter, swim 2 laps, repeat. Easy way to exercise and study at the same time.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    You've gotten great advice and I second alot of it. When you're studying during the day take a break every hour and a half, two hours and take a brisk walk, or do a video for half an hour, then go back to studying--repeat. Try different things to see what works. You're a smart girl, in college, and every problem has a solution. When you're in the hospital--nursing student? if I understood correctly--walk as fast as you can everywhere. As another person suggested, pickup the pace. Best of luck to you.