Gallbladder surgery

Options
Hello just had my gallbladder removed how do I loose weight?

Replies

• need2bfree4ever
    Options
    Hey, my name's kat. I just had that surgery last year. Avoid fats obviously but beware of strong spices and onions, sometimes even milk At first. just started this mfp and its helped a lot. Try soups and whole grains, fruits and veggies (careful to avoid ice burg lettuce And other water lettucess, they will make you run to the restroom). Nuts and low fat cheeses are good too. Careful with meats at first, ease them in. Your stomach is adjusting to producing its own bile (the stuff that breaks down your foods), your gall bladder is what used to supplement extra bile to your stomach when you ate a fatty meal, strong spices or any food you may have had a hard time digesting. Your stomach has to learn to produce the right amount when you eat (takes like 2-3 months). If you d
    want to ad me feel free. :-)
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    What she said is super confusing. Your gall bladder has no other purpose than to store bile. Your stomach doesn't have to get used to anything because bile is produced by your liver, regardless of whether you have a gall bladder or not. The Bile generally moves from the gall bladder to the duodenum when you are digesting food to aide in the break down of lipids in the small intestine.

You may get loose stools because your liver still creates bile and since it has no where to be stored it just goes through your digestive tract. As with any surgery, your medical team will start you on a diet of ice chips, advanced to clear liquids, then to surgical soft foods and finally to whatever diet you were eating pre-operatively.

You really don't need to avoid anything after your surgery unless you are having a hard time with nausea directly after surgery. If so, resort back to whatever was making you not sick (ie if a surgical soft diet is making you sick, eat a clear liquid diet).

Keep in mind that for most people, gall stones are caused by high cholesterol so this is the perfect time to change your diet and fix your lifestyle since your unhealthy diet has already caused you to have a surgery.

So start eating healthy and when the pain is gone and the dr okays it get to the gym. You need to bring your cholesterol down. I'd also recommend foods high in fiber since many pain pills lead to constipation.
  • spcfowler18
    spcfowler18 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I've been dealing with pancreatitis for the last two months so I have done a lot of research on the digestive system. You should avoid saturated fats, sugar, and alcohol. These things are not only hard to digest, but they spike you blood sugar. This means that your pancreas has to secrete insulin as well as stomach acid. Your pancreas no longer has your gall bladder helping out and you don't want to stress it (believe me). The best thing is to think like a diabetic and a vegan. Raw fruits, veggies and grains for two meals a day. Then some lean protein like fish or chicken for the other meal. When I switch to this kind of diet, I can eat all I wan and still lose weight because I can only get about 2000 calories in a day like this. It's easy and you don't have to go hungry. Exercise is still recommended after gall bladder surgery. Take it slow and do what's comfortable. Exercise circulates the blood and though it does inhibit digestion while your working out, after the workout the increased blood flow actually makes the digestion process much smoother.
  • Woodster83
    Woodster83 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I take a tablet with each meal called;

Nutrigest - Broad spectrum pancreatic enzymes with HCI & Ox Bile.

This gives me some bile to digest my food with.

I've found that I can eat nearly anything I want, but coffee and dairy gets me running to the toilet.

Everyone is different though, so you just need to see what works for you.