Rinsing Canned Beans

Options
I'm making chili for dinner tonight. After I added the all the ingredients in mfp, the sodium is over 900mg per serving:grumble: !! And this is before adding cheese and crackers. I even used one can of no salt added tomatoes.

I was thinking if I rinsed the beans off it would take the sodiums a notch. Is there any truth to that?

Replies

• modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Also very curious myself...
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Next time you make Chili, buy the dry beans instead. Just soak them for 12 to 24 hours in the refrigerator before you make your chili, and let it simmer (or use a crock pot) for a few hours when cooking it. This eliminates the sodium problem. Also, as an FYI... Pinto beans contain the highest amount of sodium naturally versus all other kinds ( got this info from a doctor). Avoid them if possible.
  • CGerman
    CGerman Posts: 539
    Options
    I've read several articles that say yes, it will lower the sodium by as much as 40-50%. I'm at work and can't find the articles. I don't know how you would account for that in your diary - other than maybe just a note so you'd know you weren't as high in sodium as what you logged.
  • aprilshowers13
    Options
    Next time you make Chili, buy the dry beans instead. Just soak them for 12 to 24 hours in the refrigerator before you make your chili, and let it simmer (or use a crock pot) for a few hours when cooking it. This eliminates the sodium problem. Also, as an FYI... Pinto beans contain the highest amount of sodium naturally versus all other kinds ( got this info from a doctor). Avoid them if possible.

My bean cooking skillz suk!! LOL!! They never come out right, even in a crockpot.
    I'm using dark red kidney beans and red beans.
  • aprilshowers13
    Options
    I've read several articles that say yes, it will lower the sodium by as much as 40-50%. I'm at work and can't find the articles. I don't know how you would account for that in your diary - other than maybe just a note so you'd know you weren't as high in sodium as what you logged.

Thanks!
  • LovingLemons
    Options
    I read SOMEWHERE that it does reduce the sodium levels. I'll try to find the link and post it for you.
  • rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Yes, according to a couple "health" cookbooks I have. I always rinse them, then weigh the remains. The number of servings in the can includes the, um, sauce. When I rinse and let the beans drain, it can reduce the weight by as much as half what the total weight is claimed on the can. I just use the post-rinse weight when figuring my calorie and sodium, and call it close enough. :)
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Yes - it DOES reduce sodium. I just read this recently:

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/011110p62.shtml
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    You can reduce it, but (obviously) don't adjust for it in your servings for your diary. If I use something frozen (i.e. shrimp) I always try and let it soak a bit (usually an hour or so during my workout) and then rinse it a few times in the strainer. I make a comment in my food diary for the day that I soaked/rinsed them.

And buying the dry beans is the best way to go. I did that two nights ago so I could use chickpeas yesterday.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I buy Eden Food brand Eden Organic no salt canned beans. I have to limit my sodium due to kidney stones. I tried doing dry beans, but they weren't cooked completely which was disappointing after soaking them overnight, bringing to a boil, dumping, refilling 3 times, and cooking for several hours. I prefer Eden's although they cost twice as much at my local grocery store as they do on Eden's website.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    You can buy no-salt-added canned beans. I only buy this type now - I've only found one brand that all the local grocery stores carry (Kuner's) but I'm sure there may be others. They have a whole range of bean types that come no-salt-added. It's fantastic... only a few mg of sodium for each serving.... I agree it's "best" to cook our own beans, but some of us just don't have the time.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Another way to go is frozen beans. I've found bunches more of that in my northern state (WI) grocery. I used to live in the South and beans is more of a staple there, but check out the frozen veg. section. Canned food is not as healthy. Besides the can waste, the processing, the additives, there is plastic and what-not lining the cans that isn't great for you. Frozen you can pull out as much as you want instead of having a can and having to use it all, or not have as much as you might like.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    There is a quick cooking method to soak, then cook dry beans for pressure cookers. Pressure cookers are the bomb-diggidy. Healthy, faster than microwave, and better than crock pots. Go to Amazon.com and get a book with cooker bundle, or big lots, or Target/Walmart.
  • aprilshowers13
    Options
    Another way to go is frozen beans. I've found bunches more of that in my northern state (WI) grocery. I used to live in the South and beans is more of a staple there, but check out the frozen veg. section. Canned food is not as healthy. Besides the can waste, the processing, the additives, there is plastic and what-not lining the cans that isn't great for you. Frozen you can pull out as much as you want instead of having a can and having to use it all, or not have as much as you might like.

I don't know why I didn't think of frozen beans. I will def. buy those next time.
  • aprilshowers13
    Options
    Thanks for all of the replies and articles everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • efc25
    efc25 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cook with more water than you think you need--you can always drain it off. Plan to cook longer than you think you should--softer beans are tastier and easier to eat than crunchy ones.
  • dmmcnerney
    Options
    Just drain and rinse them with water - this reduces the sodium by close to half:
    http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/011110p62.shtml
  • whovian67
    whovian67 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    30% reduction
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    I get the low soduim canned beans from Trader Joe's then I also rinse them. Dont know exactly where it ends up but a lot lower sodium then regular beans for sure.
  • 8ritt55
    8ritt55 Posts: 17 Member
    Options

I agree, I've read the same thing. In the food diary there is sometimes a rinsed can of beans option.