Is weightlifting bad for children?

Options
I have lots of weights around the house and this evening my 8 year picked up some 2kg dumbbells and was having a go, which I totally supported, but her dad told her to put them down as it was bad for children to lift weights. He couldn't really offer a reason why, just that it is bad. So I ask the question, how is it bad for children?

Replies

• rdkstar
    rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    2kg is nothing. They can do this. I think the fear is their growing bodies and high weights. They should not do any that is a real struggle. I let my kids use up to 10 lbs which is about 4kg I think. Body weight exercises are great also.

Strength gives confidence to kids also. My 10 year old son is the shortest in his grade (about 150 kids). But not a single boy can beat him in arm wrestling (supposed school lunch thing). This includes boys over a foot taller than him. We are not worried about him being bullied even though his height could make him a target.
  • akj_25
    akj_25 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    the only reason i can think of is the risk of injury. Kids often dont listen to their body's cues that they are lifting too much or lifting wrong so may get injured or they may drop the weight on a toe.
    as long as you teach them proper technique and start them off on low weights it should be fine.

it is all about teaching the child to respect the activity, proper technique and that it is not a game, and proper supervision.
    I have a 3 1/2 year old that we are teaching to shoot bow and arrow (she can now pull the string back on her own, but we help wtih holding the bow and aiming) -- make it a family activity it will become a lifelong activity and make family bonds stronger.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    If only it remained this easy into adulthood.

perfect-squat.jpg
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Not at all as long as it is done in moderation because it can affect growth spurts.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    That kind of harmless stuff is fine, I'm sure. Injury is a probably the only concern if you have him around weights (them falling on him, him dropping them on himself). Lifting a little dumbbell here and there isn't going to cause any sort of growth problems.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Not at all as long as it is done in moderation because it can affect growth spurts.
    Not really, unless you're pushing to maintain a weight such as in gymnastics.

That myth came about because steroid usage affects growth.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    As with most things, if you're going to properly supervise and help your children while they're doing it, weightlifting is not bad for them. If you just want to keep them occupied so they're not bothering you ... not so much.
  • ceebs08
    ceebs08 Posts: 2
    Options
    We actually just brought this up with our pediatrician last week at our son's 9 year old checkup. He said that the old school ideas of weight lifting stunting growth, hurting kids, etc. is old news. The suggestion is to do low weights (2Kg is fine) He said nothing more than 5lbs. and high reps to build stamina and strength. Kids should not be looking to get all ripped or have lots of muscle definement - that is bad, but for excersize and to build up strength/stamina it is fine. He also said to ensure that the child is using proper technique so as not to injure themselves.

So, if she really wants to do it, let her, just make sure you are supervising her and being careful.
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I don't think its particularly bad for children. Supervision as always though is a must!
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    She is supervised and I like to give her pointers on form so she doesn't injure herself. She is not allowed near the kettlebells despite her desire to do squats with them. I reckon her schoolbag would weigh more than those little tiddler weights.

I have passively agressively liked an article on the subject on facebook so it will appear in my husbands newsfeed.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    My 6 year old son is really into it now. He 'plays' with my 5lbs dumbbells and I show him how to do different things. He keeps coming up to me and flexing his biceps asking if he has any muscles. :laugh:

Kid is lucky he is has his biological dad's genes. Stocky, muscular build.
  • butlera8
    butlera8 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights can effect growth plates.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    My 3 year old picked up a 5 lbs weight and started chasing his younger brother around with it.
    So in that case it could be bad, if he hit him with it.

There is a rumor as stated that it can stunt growth. I wouldn't let them lift 1 rep max, but why not? I believe its pretty popular in Russia and Poland area for kids to left at competitions.

kid-lifting-weights.gif
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    most kids "weightlifting" aren't really 'gettenit' i.e. going hard.

But yes- really heavy lifting can do some bone/joint damage but most kids doing weight lifting aren't doing crazy body weight lifts.

she's fine.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I allow my 8-year-old to use my 5 lb dumbells. But my kettlebell and heavier dumbells stay put up. I show him the right way to use them. He enjoys it.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I will not allow my younger boys to start training with me until they hit 13. My oldest has trained with me for 2 years and is in the top 5% in his highschool as a freshman. Pushups,pull-ups are fine IMHO, my youngest can do 10-12 pull-ups without assistance, and full range. some people are born stronger than others, you should watch your little one closely and help them improve.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    My son's like the idea of weight lifting. They know I go to the gym and they want to do the same. But at 9 and 10 I am much happier with the workouts that they get at wrestling or football practice. Wrestling practice is more like a 2 hour cross fit session with all sorts of body weight work at the end of the season both boys are noticeably more fit!

Baseball season is coming though and those practices are less then grueling! So maybe Ill let them play with some dumbells around the house instead of the Xbox controller.