Measurements - what just happened?

Options
aribugg
aribugg Posts: 164 Member
updated my photo dairy the other day! i was really happy with the difference i didn't expect to see. After putting in the photos, i start taking my measurements to add into the log. I didnt even lose a full ten pounds and i lost an entire inch around my thighs, my hips, my stomach, and my waist!
but not my arms. they havent changed at all. I have lost weight, and i have been exercising to tone things up, what could've caused this? are arms just harder than i thought to deal with, or do i need to focus more on weight loss than toning? (i know i've been a little cardio neglectful, fixed that just recently)

Replies

• simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the loss - those are some great numbers! As you probablt already know, you cant spot reduce, the weight will come off where it wants to, not where we want. I lost everywhere before arms! Give it time, you'll get there :)
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Keep doing what you're doing. Great work! :)
  • aribugg
    Options
    alright... Im have to admit, im disappointed. its getting hotter, and i really want to be able to wear a short sleeve shirt and not hide in a corner.
  • teeterjay
    Options
    Congrats on the loss - those are some great numbers! As you probablt already know, you cant spot reduce, the weight will come off where it wants to, not where we want. I lost everywhere before arms! Give it time, you'll get there :)

Totally agree with simbersea. Weight loss happens where it happens, and "toning" often has less to do with the condition of your muscles, and on your body fat percentage. If you want to accelerate those losses, I would spend less time (read: NOT abandon) working those arm muscles, and focus on larger groups of muscles, such as your lower body and core. The overall fitness of those muscle groups has a much bigger effect on losing weight in body fat. You'll likely see bigger arm progress over time that way, with a somewhat limited arm routine unless you're a bodybuilder or figure competitor.
  • simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    alright... Im have to admit, im disappointed. its getting hotter, and i really want to be able to wear a short sleeve shirt and not hide in a corner.

Ditto! As you can see from my profile pic, its my number one priority, and where I have seen the least loss! But it keeps me going to the gym :)
  • aribugg
    Options

Totally agree with simbersea. Weight loss happens where it happens, and "toning" often has less to do with the condition of your muscles, and on your body fat percentage. If you want to accelerate those losses, I would spend less time (read: NOT abandon) working those arm muscles, and focus on larger groups of muscles, such as your lower body and core. The overall fitness of those muscle groups has a much bigger effect on losing weight in body fat. You'll likely see bigger arm progress over time that way, with a somewhat limited arm routine unless you're a bodybuilder or figure competitor.

This is what i have changed recently, but i think its too recent to have such an effect on my arms yet. ive been giving my legs more attention, because they're really weak and my core is already really strong. I dont ignore my core, but ive changed my routine to a little more indoor cardio (i do tabata) to amp the legs and the burn.
  • aribugg
    Options

Ditto! As you can see from my profile pic, its my number one priority, and where I have seen the least loss! But it keeps me going to the gym :)

I'm glad someone understands! its good to know im not alone lol