Just Calories or does the rest make a difference

Hi all, being fairly new to 'normal' dieting I've been using MFP app on my phone to log calories. Having just logged online I've noticed that it now tells me how many calories I have left as well as fat, carbs, protein etc. so my question is this, if I stick to my calorie allowance for the day but eat more fat than I'm supposed to will this have an effect on my weight loss or is it literally just down to calories which will make me lose or gain?

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Calories in vs Calories out for weightloss...
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    I've been successful on just calorie based counting. I dont pay any attention to the ratios, but find they work themselves out to roughly what they should be over the week, when i eat healthy.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Like so many things diet related, this sort of depends. Some individuals do better on a lower carb, higher fat diet and some people swear by high fiber, low fat so YMMV. It does take more calories for your body to burn an ounce of protein vs. an ounce of carbs and your body goes to carbs first for energy.

However, by all that I have read and heard, it's net calories that count so if you want to sub a little more fat for some carbs or protein, I say go ahead.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Work on keeping your calorie deficit. Once you are doing that easily, work on meeting your macros (protein, fat, then carbs). Once that is in place, start working on things like sodium, fiber, etc.

This is what I did and it was pretty simple. Then everything is in place for your weight loss and for your nutritional needs.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Calories in vs. calories out for weight loss. Macros depend on your goals beyond the scale. For example, I want to retain as much muscle as possible as I cut bodyfat, so I aim for a set amount of protein while doing strength training.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Depends on what your goals are, you can lose weight if reduce the calories. Do you want more toned body, increase metabolism or something. You could lose weight by smoking pot whole day and staying high, you will lose weight but it will kill your appetite and metabolism..
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    It's just calories for weight loss. Thermodynamics is what determines whether you store fat or used stored energy.

That said, it doesn't mean it's okay to eat nothing but Doritos and Twinkies. You may lose weight (if you're in a calorie deficit) but you'll probably not feel very good. It's fine to have treats, even daily, but the majority of your diet should be chosen to help get a good balance of nutrients, both micro and macro. That's basically what IIFYM (if it fits your macros) is about :smile: