What's more important - eating less or working out more?

Options
13»

Replies

• 4Healthyliving
    4Healthyliving Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    don't go over the amount of calories needed for your body type, but remember that your body is made better than any farariri and needs it's engine maximized (exercised) to get the best performance out of your engine
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it's important to have a calorie deficit so you lose weight. If you're not in deficit, you won't lose. That means you need to eat less than you burn off. Exercising more so you can eat more and still be in deficit is a good strategy though, just measure your food portions and the calorie burn from exercise accurately, so you're sure to stay in deficit. (for health reasons the deficit needs to be moderate, too big a deficit can cause all kinds of difficulties with sticking to the plan and in the long term can cause health problems as well)

It's important to exercise for health; there are so many health benefits to exercise that everyone who's medically able should do whatever exercise they enjoy and do it a lot. While exercise makes weight loss easier (because you get to eat more and still be in deficit), without a calorie deficit it won't happen, so in that respect, the deficit is more imporant.... BUT the health benefits of exercise are really important too.

So you can't really say which is more important for long term healthy body composition... for weight loss a calorie deficit is essential. For health, exercise is extremely beneficial. For losing fat the healthy way, both are necessary and choosing between them is really like asking someone what's more important to them, their car or their laptop, i.e. they're both important and please don't make me choose between them!
  • ashleycde
    ashleycde Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Staying within a calorie deficit is key, which can be achieved with a healthy diet alone, but would be very difficult to achieve with exercise alone. However, staying within a calorie deficit within a sedentary lifestyle with no exercise would also be difficult, and depriving yourself will make success all that much harder. A good mix of diet and exercise will help you achieve your weight loss goals, while being able to eat more to fuel your increased activity level.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    For your weight, it's calories. For your health, it's exercise.
  • Maggie_Pie1
    Maggie_Pie1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I thinking working out is important, not just for losing weight, but for your overall cardiovascular health. And strength training as well, while not as much of a calorie burner as cardio, will help you reach your goals by increasing or at least maintaining muscle mass as you lose fat, and keep your metabolism higher.

So, my answer is both exercise and restricting calories are important
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Either way. You lose weight by operating at a calorie deficit. How you get there is up to you.
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    eating healthy...
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I find I lose weight faster when I work out and eat more, rather than if I just cut calories. I eat back most of my exercise calories when working out too.
  • dianemmn
    dianemmn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    eating healthy is the most important, even more important than calorie intake.

:huh: No.

No hope for me then.Hardly anything healthy passes my lips,so I rely on exercise and smaller portions and thankfully it seems to be working.
  • LucilleLJazz
    Options
    You have to eat HEALTHY not just count the calories. A bag of chips within your calorie count isn't the way to do it!
    You can eat quite a lot of food to feel satisfied with little calories if you are eating the right food choices. And that will also give you energy for exercise.
    If you go over your calorie goal but then exercise those calories away, you are getting the best of both worlds. You get to eat a bit more, and you get the benefits of exercise (cardio and/or muscle strength). Even if you are focused on weight loss, I feel you are better served by both exercise and diet.
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    What's more important - keeping total food consumption at the calorie goal or working out more (and eating more) to obtain a net calorie goal? I find that if I stick with consuming the number of calories I am allotted (1350), I tend to feel deprived. I feel much happier and satiated if I work out and then eat back some of those exercise calories. Some days I feel like I'm eating an awful lot for someone trying to lose weight, even though my net is around goal. Is one method "better" than the other? Or does it truly not matter so long as I am netting around my goal?

Haven't read all the responses...
    However, weight loss is 80% nutrition, 10% exercise, and 10% genetics.
    Do you know your basal metabolic rate? Mine is 1700, meaning I have to eat more than this.
    I always eat most of my exercise calories back, but it depends on if you use the MFP method or the TDEE method.
    I get to be a ravenous fool if I don't eat enough. :smile:
  • taniabeth78
    taniabeth78 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    as someone else said weight loss is 80% nutrition. So yes, it is good to stay within your calorie range and you could lose weight without working out (I am at the moment because I am currently unemployed, cant afford a gym membership, and its been to cold to really do much outside). With that being said, exercise is great too. I really miss the gym and wish I could go. Once I find a new job, then most definately. I felt more accomplished, and felt healthier working out. Eating better leads to more energy and working out is great for energy burn off
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Simply put: you can burn 500 calories more easily in less time with little to no effort effort by reducing intake than it is to burn a legitimate 500 calories from increased activity. Additionally, actual exercise expenditure is significantly lower than reported. Thus, it's more ideal to let the majority of the deficit come from eating less.
  • FaileAybara
    FaileAybara Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My Dr said that exercise was the more important of the two when I discussed it with her. I started just exercising and realized that I would probably do better if I watched my food intake as well.

Its only been a short time but I know that historically, I do much better if I burn that candle at both ends.

Uhm, you can exercise every day, but if you overeat you WILL NOT lose any weight. It is easy to eat more when you exercise too. So I can't say that doctor sounds very smart with that advice.

I know that, which is why I started watching my food intake - but her point was more around starting something to get into a better cycle of habits. My problem was that I was really down on myself and feeling like anything I did was pointless. By exercising a little every day my mood improved greatly and I was able to start looking at things positively again. So maybe from a strict perspective yes, it is the calorie deficit that makes you lose weight, but for many people its the exercise that keeps them on the train.
  • JackieRL55
    JackieRL55 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is that you don't have to work out to lose weight BUT it's definitely a personal choice whether you just want to be THIN or FIT. There is a VERY BIG DIFFERENCE.

Personally, I rather be fit and I believe that the benefits of exercise, especially on the heart, make it well worth it get at least the minimum of 30 minutes in a day 2-4 times a week.

But man I love the way that soreness feels after hitting those weights...I don't know about anybody else but I get like a high from it LOL
  • lisajsund
    lisajsund Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    (Proper) Nutrition makes us lean!

Exercise makes us fit!

That gives 4 possibilities:
    1) Lean and fit
    2) Lean and unfit
    3) Fat and fit
    4) Fat and unfit

I'm working toward #1 - no matter what the scale tells me. My goal is body fat percentage - not just weight.
    At 20% BF, I'll still be approximately 20 lbs overweights according to the BMI scale. It sucks and doesn't account for what the body is made up of.