Couch....Eater?

Options
Hey there! My name is Sarah and I am relatively new here. I have recently done some self evaluation and I have come to the conclusion that I am a couch eater. As in I eat when I am in front of the TV. My parents used to do this a lot, that's not to say we never ate meals at the table when I was younger. As I am older now and on my own you would think I could break out of this habit. However, being single in an apartment of your own...Leads something to be desired when eating at a dining room table...Alone. In silence. And there lies my issue. I realize now that when I am in front of the TV I always feel I need to be eating something. The worst part about the whole thing is that you don't realize you are doing it until you are half a bag of potato chips later...

I was just curious as to if anyone else has this issue and what they to to combat it?

Replies

• Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. I do drinks instead, like frozen berries with seltzer water, or whole blender juice. It also helps to get off of the couch :(
  • LVT1991
    LVT1991 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for the input! :)
  • missgamer84
    missgamer84 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am a terrible late night eater, in front of the tv, PS3, or on the couch its my main issue. I also have bad insomnia and I am sure that damages your metabolism, and staying awake long hours makes you hungry again. I do know when I was much healthier I was sleeping way earlier and avoiding the late night couch snack attacks
  • wijody
    wijody Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think most of America has this problem! The best way I've found to combat it is to just not watch TV! LOL! I do like to eat in front of my computer (meals) - I like to read while I eat, but I eat the same amount as I would have for the meal anyway. But for TV, I have my treadmill set up with my DVR and my only TV time is there, so that solves the snacking issue - not tempted to snack on the treadmill :)

I do wish I could learn to enjoy going to the movie theater without getting popcorn, though! That's hard!
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i find its the hand to mouth action that i like, so I substitute the bad stuff for a bag of good stuff, like grapes, or blueberries.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    eh not really a big deal where you eat...what you eat or when you eat...it's about how much.

If you find ou over indulge portion it out. I eat on the couch too but I know I am still in goal as I have weighed out my food.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I used to do this a lot. At one point I decided: you know what, I have my very own kitchen/eating area now, I'm going to only eat there. I found deciding that I was only going to eat in my kitchen really cut down on my unthinking snacking. It really helped, and honestly it cut down on cleaning too (no crumbs in the sofa in front of the TV any more).

Then I got married and a TV showed up in the kitchen. /sigh
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    I enjoy eating in front of the TV too. Just weigh and track your food in the kitchen before going and sitting down in front of the TV and there is nothing wrong with it. You only mindlessly snack when you have an unmeasured pile of snacks handy (like a bag of potato chips). Instead of bringing the bag of chips, bring a bowl of them. There's no difference in calories eaten at a table and calories eaten on the sofa. ;-)
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I eat every meal that's at home in front of my TV. It's not when and where that is the issue. It's How Much. Plan your day out and give yourself some pre portioned snacks in front of the TV.
  • AliciaAnn03
    Options
    I'm also horrible about this or needing a snack when I before bed. I found myself making, artichokes, air popped popcorn or kale chips a lot. They take time to eat but aren't a ton of calories!
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Don't eat from the bag! Give yourself a serving size and a Huge glass of water and measure your snacks.

My husband LOVES to eat dinner on the couch in front of the tv. Now that he can see the TV from the new table we eat at the table more often. No snacks on the new carpet.

Good luck
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this lately also. I'm a single gal, living alone and do eat most of my meals in front of the tv. I am trying to focus on eating more mindfully - which makes me focus on the food and not eat mindlessly while watching something. Trying to listen to my body's hunger/fullness cues and just be aware. I don't think eating in front of the tv is bad in itself, but if it's not helping you when it comes to binge eating, you might want to start sitting at the table to eat and turn off all other distractions.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    It is REALLY hard to fix and eat healthy meals at the table when you live alone. Believe me, I know. I've been a widow for almost 14 years, and eating alone since my daughter moved to college five years ago.
    I like the suggestions of eating grapes, etc. if you feel the need to "nosh" while you are watching TV….but you might also try chewing some gum. Just another idea to try, with few calories.
    I struggle with this too. Perhaps you could set your dining room table with some nice dishes and cutlery so it is more inviting? Just throwing out some ideas that occurred to me.
    Kaye
    PS….the suggestion to get off the couch is a good one too……talk a walk, ride a bike, go to the gym, etc…..ALL good ideas!
  • DesDawn24
    DesDawn24 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Guilty! As others have mentioned, make small changes like eating from a bowl instead of taking the whole bag. That is my number one trick and it works! I also substituted other things for chips. I make roasted chickpeas (because I can never eat more than a small handful at a time), Special K cracker chips, or veggies and hummus. Same crunch, better for you!

I have the same issue with eating dinner on the couch as well, simply because my apartment is too tiny for a table! In this case I use a smaller plate so I'm less likely to mindlessly eat. Plate looks full, I feel full after I eat it :)
  • amatolauren
    amatolauren Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    just keep track and measure is what i learned on MFP ... and it will all work out in the end. ive also learned you need to exercise and that will boost it some more as well.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    UNTE_264252075_3000?$PD_ProductMain_500w$

open-door-policy.jpg

V37gC3g_Qps.jpg

Winning.jpg
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Eat your meals at the table. And, if you can afford it, spice it up a bit. Buy some nice plates and cutlery, get a nice place mat, put some flowers and/or candles on the table, put some music on and enjoy the moment.

If you are snacking while watching TV, do as several suggested, weigh/measure your snack before you sit on the couch. If you want to eliminate eating in front of the TV/computer/whatever, then make it a rule to eat any and all food at the table.

Another suggestion would be to keep your hands busy. Do you have a hobby? Knitting, needlepoint, scrapbooking? Or play a game on your phone while watching TV. Anything that keeps your hands busy so you don't have the desire to eat mindlessly.

I'm a terrible night-time snacker, to the point that I've told my husband I may need to start eating all my snacks at the table so I'm not eating mindlessly in front of the TV. So I completely understand what you are going through!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with "couch eating".

There is something wrong with your associating the couch with bags of potato chips and the like.

I am a "couch eater". I enjoy watching TV and eating. I certainly know how to NOT do that, but I don't think there is anything wrong with associating TV watching with snacking or even eating meals.

But why not replace the half a bag of chips with some grapes? Celery with low fat dressing? Apple slices? Stuff you can eat in greater volume that isn't sending your intake over the moon?
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I moved into my first house September 2013. The only time I've eaten at the kitchen table was Thanksgiving...and it was because I hosted the dinner.

If you find that when you sit in front of the TV, you want to eat, the problem isn't eating in front of the TV; it's the TV itself.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    ive done that before (though never while playing PS3 as one poster said, im to busy to snack). What might help is if you only fixed enough of what you want to eat and leave the rest in the kitchen (like the bag of chips for example)..then if you want more..youll have to make the concious choice to get up and get more.