Giving up Nicorette - anyone else

Ugh, so the monkey on my back is Nicorette lozenges, it's been 3 year almost since I quit smoking and my 12 week cessation plan has gone on a bit longer than I had hoped it would. They are my security blanket. I love the 24/7 (practically) nicotine drip and I like not smoking but still getting the benefits, yes, that word is used loosely.

So, I am not a gradual decrease kind of person, I am an all-or-nothing kind of person, so I am quitting this weekend for two very important reasons to me, still, the thought of it is terrifying, yes, I am a total addict. I don't drink, I don't do drugs, I don't eat sugar, wheat or have more than 1 cup of coffee a day, but this is my crutch and it's also my secret, so I am putting it out there. I want to quit due to cost and by quitting I hope I get rid of the chest stuff that seems to be plaguing me, really this has to be culprit just because it has to be, if it's not... dammit, what is it?

If you quit nicorette how hard was it? Did you gain a lot of weight back? Did it take long for the pain to stop? Do you have any coping mechanisms to share? This will be my NINTH time quitting nicotine, I am now a non-practicing smoker, but this seems just harder than quitting smoking, I am not sure if it is just fear or if it is harder. ~insert whining and screaming~

Replies

• uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Nicotine is one of the nastiest addictions to kick. It is going to take as much will power as you have. Don't replace it by eating more food!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Buy stock in Extra Sugar-free Gum. 5 Calories a stick which is far better than the other potential foods you may put in your mouth instead. I quit smoking after 25 years and gained a pound for each year I smoked... in 2.5 months. It was still totally worth it even if I'm not having to work on that part.
  • JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    I actually quit smoking because I struggled to breathe after sex. I was also overweight. After that I let go of cigarettes and never looked back. I have smoked twice afterwards to see if I liked it still but my body did not like it.

as for the weight, I didn't really gain weight or lose weight but I think if you just focus on your calories after quiting then you wont add weight.

Good luck.
  • fitbrit19
    fitbrit19 Posts: 55
    I quit smoking a year ago & gave up Nicorette soon after that. It was easier for me to go "cold turkey" because I would of ended up like you (no offense), but something that was recommended to me was this: Only carry with you how much you are going to allow yourself. And each week decrease that amount until 0. My problem with this was it was all fine and dandy at work but when I got home it was a free for all so you would have to practice serious self control. A friend also periodically replaced Nicorette with menthol cough drops … I realize this probably isn't helpful, but I feel your pain and I sympathize.
  • amberxy
    amberxy Posts: 35 Member
    I've given it up this year. 24/7/365 chewing for approx 4 years - I often slept with it in my mouth (disgusting I know). Gave up completely by accident - was on a cruise and ran out of nicotine gum, so started chewing sugar free gum and simply didn't buy anymore when I got home. Weight gain - I'm approx 4kg heavier since stopping. Took about three weeks for the cravings to subside from murderous to a dull ache. Still struggling but I notice I have less headaches, my jaw isn't aching and I'm not feeling randomly nauseous anymore (I'm sure this was mild nicotine overdose). Struggling somewhat with cigarette cravings, not too bad though. Saving a ton of money now, I will NEVER buy this crap again! Good luck :)
  • thanks all. And agreed with the random nausea, I am sure I use way more than one is supposed to.

I am going to start Friday night and hopefully by Monday I at least won't be snarling. Should be good times for sure. Sigh...
  • dangernene
    dangernene Posts: 30 Member
    Giving up Nicorette won't help your chest. Smoking causes respiratory problems because of all the other junk that's in cigarettes, but not nicotine. That's just the bit that keeps you addicted.

However it's a good idea to do so. My friend used to cut all her nicotine gum in half before she finally managed to give them up completely. She said that helped quite a lot.
  • dawnp2012
    dawnp2012 Posts: 1 Member
    Read Allen Carr's Easy Way to stop smoking. It's amazing. You can still smoke, chew, or whatever while you are reading it.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Well you've beat part of the battle. I always ended up back smoking when i used the aids (patch gum etc)
    Finally i just went cold turkey. the first 3 days are the worst because that is when you are actually clearing the addiction. you are down to the nicotine (not all the other chemicals) and the habit of sucking the lozenges/chewing the gum
    Get substitute lozenges/gum and wean yourself off the habit after you get by the addiction part in a few days.
    Good Luck (I quit probably 6 times over 40 years, this time it's the longest 7.5 months the difference is I just know i am clear this time, no real desire even in stress situations)
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Glad you asked this question. I also have a nicotine (Nicorette) addiction that has been going on for years. Sadly, I actually like the taste! (The original flavor....yes, I'm the oddball that likes it.) The last time I tried to quit I switched to sugar-free gum. It worked, sort of. The problem was, I ended up with a nasty rash near my mouth and nose. The dermatologist told me it was a mint allergy, which believe it or not, she said was quite common. But, it meant no mint or cinnamon flavored gum/candy, toothpaste, cough drops, etc. So there I was with my Nicorette again. I can now have mint in normal sized doses, but not the amount it would take to replace my nic gum habit, so I was glad to read some of the other suggestions to quitting. Definitely going to try cutting it in half. At the very least, my goal for now is to cut down to 7 pieces per day, which is what I used to chew. Then hopefully get down to none. I've managed to get my soda addiction under control, so maybe there is hope. :smile: