Work week vs. Weekend

Options
Anyone else dread the upcoming weekends? I work a ton- and I mean a ton- of overtime. It is nice in that it keeps my schedule on track and I know how to plan my week. I almost am reluctant when the weekend comes around because people who I miss out on seeing and socializing with want to go out. This generally means eating and drinking where I cannot weigh/measure/guess content. I also upset my sleep and exercise pattern, or lord forbid something spontanious comes up.

Anyone else find that it is much easier to stick to the planned routine and the weekend looses it luster due to the unpredictability??

I am trying to combat things by eating on plan/IIFYM and leaving the buffer room for enjoying myself without getting carried away or undoing all the hard work through the week.

Looking for anyone elses' insight into helpful tools they use and impliment...

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    for sure...

I often get derailed on weekends..not so much keeping in goal but meeting my protien etc.

If it is a weekend for me to go out I eat per normal through the day and plan for maintenance...if I go over...I go over but I know my weekly goal will still be in check as I am in a 300-400 a day deficet...so one night wont kill my goals.

What I try to do is make good choices while I am out...no snacking after the bar...hehe....I drink vodka and club soda...40 calories a glass and I get it in a tall glass as well, squirt in some mino or crystal lite flavor and away I go.

If something comes out of the blue I just go with it...

You could always exercise a bit more to cover the calories off...specifically in the afternoons...
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    definitely...so i've begun to schedule a massive double session at the gym as i have more time at the weekend
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Yup... being home with more food access. Going out with friends, its harder, but certainly can keep up as good of a choice as we can, and then there is the extra exercise time. The rest, just gels into the week.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Anyone else find that it is much easier to stick to the planned routine and the weekend looses it luster due to the unpredictability??

Yes. I find unpredictable things harder to plan. This is fairly common sense, right?.....
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Log every bite and swallow. If you go over, get in some extra cardio to earn the extra calories.:wink: You can make it work if you have the determination.
  • keninf
    keninf Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I work long hours Monday through Friday as well, then the weekends are the only time to really let my hair down and socialize, relax and have fun. One thing I have tried to do is make sure that I have one long run on Saturday mornings- so I plan for a light activity Friday night if we have plans- and watch my intake, booze, etc. Then a good long run or other workout and then I let Saturday and Sunday come and I enjoy without worry. I at least feel as though I have done something healthy for myself and still get to have fun with less guilt.

Another strategy I have used is to be very diligent with workouts during the week, especially good if I am going out of town for a weekend and not sure what the schedule will be-

Lastly, if I am on vacation and I don't get a workout in, and, I don't count calories or log, I let myself off the hook- vacation is a time to enjoy your friends and family and so I don't stress about things- I get right back on track when I get home though.

I have also done a lot of research into restaurant foods, calories, portions, etc.. and I try to make better choices. I think that if you plan a bit ahead of time, you can still manage to enjoy your time with friends without too much stress and without too much concern over falling backwards instead of moving forward. Besides fun time with friends helps to reduce stress which helps to reduce other physical and emotional issues with your overall weight loss plan.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I usually decide what I am going to eat before I go out with friends. Most of the restaurants have the nutrition info posted. If there aren't many good options, I usually eat before I go out leaving just enough space to eat little.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I would hate it more - but lately we have been trying to do things as a family that increases our movement. Went for a long walk last Saturday while shopping for a prom dress. Go skating on Sundays as a family, so therefore I'm allowed to eat/drink some extra. Besides - I usually am able to adjust my calories enough to have a glass of wine any day of the week, so an extra glass on the weekend - doesn't matter.

Sure my sleep/workout routine gets a little messed up - everyone's does. I still log everything (and if we go OUT to eat, I log the best I can as local restaurants aren't in the data base, so I just get as close as possible).

I'm still losing consistently - so until that doesn't work - I am not going to sweat it.
  • kstand0053
    kstand0053 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    This happens! Go with it! Try your best to make healthy choices, but don't beat yourself up if you slip up! I understand that some restaurants do not even offer a healthy choice...I am thinking about five guys... happened to me this weekend because that is where my friends wanted to go..but instead of having a regular cheeseburger I had the "little" cheeseburger, and NO bacon..even though i really wanted some bacon lol! Life happens, just continue to make healthy choices more than "bad choices"
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I do so well during the week and the weekends are my challenge. This week was the start of my "clean eating" So far, I have not had any unhealthy foods. My goal this weekend is to stick with that. I dont mind having one cheat meal during the weekend but I dont have to "go all out" and splurge on that meal. All in moderation. And if I'm not really craving a cheat meal this weekend, more power to me! :) Lets see how this goes. This will be a real challenge, especially when I have friday off.......
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    For me, this is an issue that kind of works itself out naturally. During the work week I am more planned and organized with my meals, but I am also less active. On weekends, I have more free time to get in A LOT of exercise and then I can eat all of the foods. I am lucky that my husband and I are both on MFP, and interested in healthy habits etc...so we will make a point of doing active stuff on the weekend and indulging a bit more than we do during the work week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Enjoying myself on the weekend never hindered anything I was trying to do. I love the weekend and always have.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    I drink vodka and club soda...40 calories a glass and I get it in a tall glass as well, squirt in some mino or crystal lite flavor and away I go.

GENIUS!!! :love: :flowerforyou:
  • antt109
    antt109 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I COMPLETLY UNDERSTAND! I think my next step is to Just bring a cooler with me and leave it in my car. That way there is always a healthy option available.

Make a serious effort to increase calorie burn on Friday and Saturday. This will help minimize the affect. Good Luck and Party ON! :smile:
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I had this problem in the beginning... but as the results started to come... I became more disciplined about my weekends.

I have all but given up drinking. It's usually one... and I am done...

But the food I tend to have that covered! On Saturday and Sunday; I sleep in until at least 6:30-7am... hit the gym for a full two hours... leisurely sometimes...sometimes intense... just depends on my mood. And I still log my food that I eat...but usually my weekend workouts cover any food choices I might make.

Again...it's all discipline. I want it really bad... there have been times when I have wanted to have a cheeseburger and fries...and 3 drinks! So I do... I just don't do it all the time.

One bad meal isn't going to ruin your diet... it's consistency. Don't beat yourself up about it... It's a lifestyle change... not a diet :smile:

Relax... you've got this... just stay consistent!
  • broxi1979
    broxi1979 Posts: 30
    Options

Yes. I find unpredictable things harder to plan. This is fairly common sense, right?.....

Thank you for your sarcastic snarky comment, I found it a really helpful contribution to the thread.

8/10 - Would read again.
  • stillwatergirl
    stillwatergirl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yep, this is me. I do so good all week and then the weekend comes and I don't take the time to count my calories. However, i do usually get in extra exercise time so that helps.

Here is an article on cheat days -

http://www.fitday.com/fitness-articles/nutrition/healthy-eating/the-importance-of-having-one-cheat-day-when-dieting.html#b
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Thank you for your sarcastic snarky comment, I found it a really helpful contribution to the thread.

8/10 - Would read again.

Confused.com. You start off complaining and then give me an 8/10.

I did read again by the way and well, yes. I find unpredictable things harder to plan. This is fairly common sense, right?.....
  • MeganWillet
    MeganWillet Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I definitely have this problem as well. It's easy to behave during the week, but on the weekend all I want to do is EAT and DRINK! I'm going to try and cut myself a little more slack than I did the last time I lost weight so that maybe I'll stick with it and won't gain it all back!
  • smalacarne
    Options
    Weekends are tough for me, even if I plan what I'm eating and drinking when I go to a restaurant the sodium seems to kill me and I end up trying to get that water weight off all week :(
    I've been trying to limit my eating out because of this, but then I don't see my friends! Hopefully it will be temporary until I reach my goal.