Trying to burn calories at my 9-5 Office Job

Options
Hey Everyone so i have a typical day working from 8:30-5pm sitting in an office. What are some exercises i can do while i'm sitting throughout the day to keep the blood flowing. I do try and get up every hour or so to walk around but some days i'm so busy i sit for 3 hours straight. any suggestions would be great..

Replies

• zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Options
    Calves- I tend to work on these when I sit at my desk with some weights on my knees.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I hope this doesn't sound snotty (it may) but when I see posts about people doing exercises at their desk/cubicle I just think it sounds kind of absurd. I definitely agree with walking around as much as possible throughout your work day...I too have a standard desk job, so I know it can be a challenge at times but you can always find ways to get a BIT more movement into your day. But for me personally, buying an under-desk cycling device or doing exercises at/near my desk would just feel embarrassing and strange...why not get in a workout before work or in the evening instead?
  • GIA4FITNESS
    Options
    Hey Everyone so i have a typical day working from 8:30-5pm sitting in an office. What are some exercises i can do while i'm sitting throughout the day to keep the blood flowing. I do try and get up every hour or so to walk around but some days i'm so busy i sit for 3 hours straight. any suggestions would be great..

I have been working out at work for a few months now! The last office building I worked at had a gym. I would run a mile on my lunch break and that left me with enough time to shower and get ready for work again with only an hour's lunch. If I didn't feel like doing that, I would do the stairs. I was on the 10th floor so I worked my way up to doing 80 flights a day on my breaks. I just moved back to my university's campus and options are limited, so I've just been walking around campus. I use RunKeeper to track how far I go and how many calories I burn. I did 1.5 miles yesterday using 30 minutes of my lunch break and 12 minutes of my paid 30 break. It can be done!
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I drink water at my desk all day and every time I go to the bathroom I do a set of squats.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I hope this doesn't sound snotty (it may) but when I see posts about people doing exercises at their desk/cubicle I just think it sounds kind of absurd. I definitely agree with walking around as much as possible throughout your work day...I too have a standard desk job, so I know it can be a challenge at times but you can always find ways to get a BIT more movement into your day. But for me personally, buying an under-desk cycling device or doing exercises at/near my desk would just feel embarrassing and strange...why not get in a workout before work or in the evening instead?

+1, also maybe walk at lunch? It's simple, you probably won't get sweaty, and it's pretty good for your all around health.
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    In the same boat, I work an 8-5 desk job AND I have a 60 minute commute as well (adding an additional 2 hours in my day that I am sitting down).

I thought about going outside for a walk on my lunch break, but I am in a shady part of the city so I don't want to chance getting mugged or raped or kidnapped.
  • youngamber82
    youngamber82 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I work in a call center in a desk chair 8 hours a day so I feel your pain. I just walk on all my breaks. I go down the steps and out the doors and around the building as any times as my break and lunch will allow. It does help. Plus I have a fit bit so I set goals each day as to how many steps I should take. Plus, when I get home, I then go outside and walk some more or do some sort of exercise. Sitting at your desk doing exercises is embarrassing and could be distracting as well. If you are worried about walking outside of the building then I suggest walking INSIDE of your building. I dont know how big the building is though so that may not be soemthing you can do.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    You could walk to the kitchen to make a cup of tea... and then... walk back.
  • mediamogulsteve
    mediamogulsteve Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I walk around the building and at a nearby park for lunch and breaks. When weather is too cold or uncooperative, I found that walking up/down the stairs is quite helpful. Yesterday it was snowy. Our building has an underground parking garage. I did several laps around its perimeter which is about 1/8th of a mile.

I think the biggest thing for me is forcing myself to take breaks. When you come back you'll feel more energized and find that your thinking is sharper.
  • Nicomachea
    Nicomachea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use bathrooms on different floors of the building. I'm on the top (third) floor. If I'm crunched for time, I'll walk down to the second floor; if I'm OK on time, I'll go to the first floor or basement. In all cases I take the stairs both down and up. To help ensure enough bathroom breaks throughout the day, I aim to drink at least 35 oz. of liquid throughout the day -- not much by some standards, but for me, it's fine.

I admit that I do have an under-the-desk cycle. During slower work periods, where I'm reading background material or something not terribly serious, I'll cycle for maybe 20-30 minutes. It helps that I have an office, though I did the same when I had a cubicle.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options

I have absolutely no time before work to exercise because I have 2 children that I must get washed, dressed, and dropped off at school. THEN I drive 30 minutes to my office. I could walk on my lunch but I only get 30 minutes and I live in Missouri where the weather yesterday was 50 degrees and last night we had a snow storm. Could I work out after I get home? Probably, but I have MS so the evenings are exhausting for me. We do home work, cook supper, clean house...etc. Please tell me how someone like me can be more like you...LOL

PS I work in a rural area. The building I work in has not one step.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

+1, also maybe walk at lunch? It's simple, you probably won't get sweaty, and it's pretty good for your all around health.

+2

Take the stairs if you work in a multi-level office building. Lunchtime walks, and walks during your breaks are beneficial too.

I park my car on the top floor of my parking garage, take the stairs all 6 floors down, take the stairs up to the tenth floor of my building, take stairs down and up when I want a snack down at the cafeteria, walk during lunch, and take the stairs back up to the 6th floor of the parking garage when I leave.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    park as far away from the door as you can, and take the steps. Some days I'll close my door and go crazy on a "dance break" calf raises, and for lack of a better term butt squeezers.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I have absolutely no time before work to exercise because I have 2 children that I must get washed, dressed, and dropped off at school. THEN I drive 30 minutes to my office. I could walk on my lunch but I only get 30 minutes and I live in Missouri where the weather yesterday was 50 degrees and last night we had a snow storm. Could I work out after I get home? Probably, but I have MS so the evenings are exhausting for me. We do home work, cook supper, clean house...etc. Please tell me how someone like me can be more like you...LOL

Ahh, a rural area! So you have lots of space to get out and walk when you're at work. If you're too exhausted when you get home from work, you could wake up before the kids do and do a brief workout. And what's wrong with 50 degrees outside? People are training for marathons and such in weather colder than that, with snow, rain, or blasting wind (that's what I'm dealing with today).

Besides MS, which I know virtually nothing about, it sounds like a bunch of excuses. With that said, you don't have to exercise to lose weight. But I imagine if you really wanted to, you'd make time for it.
  • GIA4FITNESS
    Options
    I drink water at my desk all day and every time I go to the bathroom I do a set of squats.

LMAO!! That's an interesting idea. That seriously made me giggle!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Desk jockey dad of an 18 m.o. and 4 y.o. here with a 60 minute each way commute to work. I make time for exercise and if that means I go out and ride my bike at lunch when it's cold and the wind is blowing so be it; I do that three days out of the work week...the other two I make sure I get out for at least a 30 minute walk; rain, snow, wind, or shine. My wife and I also alternate evenings at the gym two nights per week and we both go on Sundays and take the kiddos with us. On the nights I go to the gym my wife picks up the kiddos and gets them home and fed, etc...on nights she goes to the gym I reciprocate; our health and overall well being is important to us and we're also setting an example for our kids in RE to how important this is. We're actually to the point now where we are considering dumping the gym and converting our garage so we don't have to bother.

Beyond that, I just make every effort to improve my NEAT (Non Exercise Activity Thermogenesis)...even though I'm the CFO, I take the furthest parking spot from the office. I work on the third floor and always take the stairs (even when I have my bike, I just shoulder it and haul it up the stairs). When I need to use the restroom or re-fill my water bottle I do so using the 1st floor facilities which requires me to go down stairs and then back up. When I go to the grocery store, I forgo "rock star" parking and seek out spots further away from the store. Little things like this go a long way.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

LMAO!! That's an interesting idea. That seriously made me giggle!

Interesting, and a bit like... well my job cant really be that important because I have time to do squats at work. I wonder what the boss would think....
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Ahh, a rural area! So you have lots of space to get out and walk when you're at work. If you're too exhausted when you get home from work, you could wake up before the kids do and do a brief workout. And what's wrong with 50 degrees outside? People are training for marathons and such in weather colder than that, with snow, rain, or blasting wind (that's what I'm dealing with today).

Besides MS, which I know virtually nothing about, it sounds like a bunch of excuses. With that said, you don't have to exercise to lose weight. But I imagine if you really wanted to, you'd make time for it.

Wow, judgmental and full of snark.