NOTHING WORKING still gaining fat :(

Options
2 years ago I weighed 64 kilos. In 3 months I lost 11 kilos - I was partying every weekend and was depressed because of a breakup so I ate less without realising. My body is now used to eating very little, but I keep gaining fat. How do I lose weight again? I have gained 5 kilos of FAT over the last year :( no matter how much I eat I still can't lose it. I have tried weight training and even when I gain muscle I still have fat. I eat very healthy. I weight train 3-4 times a week and do cardio 5 times a week for 40 minutes. But the fat still won't go away. It's not muscle because I got it all measured :(

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Have you checked with your doctor to determine if there is an underlying medical issue?
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy is only a small part of the equation.

If all you ate was apples, you can still gain weight.

Its all about creating a caloric deficit.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing and measuring everything? How many calories are you eating per day?

You will hear this a few times, but you really should open your diary so you can get the appropriate advice!

**Edit - Height/current weight/goal weight?
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    If you gained muscle that shows that you are eating at least at maintenance or more likely above...hence the fat gain.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Log everything you eat accurately & honestly. Weigh your food.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Edited to add that your goal should be to find the maximum number of calories at which you lose weight, not the minimum. With only 5kg (11 lb.) to lose, set your goal to the slowest rate (in pounds, it's .5 lb. per week) and be patient. The closer you are to goal, the more slowly you lose. That's just how the human body works. And the smaller deficit will help you transition to maintenance.
  • nastasyk
    nastasyk Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My height is 168cm. My weight is 60kg. I would like to weigh 55kg.

I eat about 1000-1200calories a day. I physically can't eat any more because I get so full. I've tried eating more and I gain fat. I burn about 300-450 calories at the gym.

Should I eat even less?
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    So you're netting 700 calories?

You aren't gaining fat by eating more than 1200 calories (unless it's above maintenance.)

You are full because your body has adapted to consuming so little food.

BUT there is a very good chance that you aren't logging correctly and are overeating. We don't know because your diary is closed.
  • suey2k1
    suey2k1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You could try cutting down all that cardio and go for HIIT training instead. Also are you eating a lot of carbs? I find I am very carb intolerant and have to keep them to a minimum, no bread or flour based products, potatoes, rice, cereals ( except oatmeal). If you can't get your cals up or above 1,200, which with all that work you probably need 1375+, try having a handful of raw almonds and a piece of fruit as a snack. I just had 12 almonds and a green pear = 177 cals and it doesn't fill you up too much :O) Don't give up
    Also 1200 cals is a very small amount for your height/weight and the amount of working out you are doing. it is quite likely that if you are being accurate with your food log that you are consuming so few calories that your body has gone into 'starvation mode' and is hanging on to every last bit of energy(fat) it can as it thinks you are 'starving'. Less is not always best
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Go see a Dr.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    My height is 168cm. My weight is 60kg. I would like to weigh 55kg.

I eat about 1000-1200calories a day. I physically can't eat any more because I get so full. I've tried eating more and I gain fat. I burn about 300-450 calories at the gym.

Should I eat even less?
    If you can't process more than 1200 cals of food a day, get to a doctor.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If you're not 1) weighing everything or at least measuring everything and 2) tracking consistently (like daily) for an extended period of time, it's really hard to say how much you're actually consuming.

I can pretty confidently say that your metabolism did not adapt in three months of a calorie deficit. 22lbs in 3 months isn't a ridiculously drastic weight loss rate anyway.

Opening up your diary would be a big help to anyone trying to give you advice.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Open your diary. Chances are, you are overestimating your exercise calories and underestimating what you eat. If not, you need a dr appointment.
  • nastasyk
    nastasyk Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I've opened it up - I have not logged for 3 weeks as I took phentermine and barely ate anything :/
    Still didn't lost much at all lol 1 kilo -___-
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Take a step back, stop dieting, move away from the scales and eat normally. I do not mean binge on chocolate all day, but eat normally for a few weeks. You are at a normal weight, have been on a strict diet with the goal of losing very few kilos, which will probably make little difference in how you look and then also taking appetite suppressants on top??? Not healthy and you are going to cause long term damage. Eat normally, exercsise and give your body a break. And I think it is time to talk to your dr.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Your logging since the beginning of the year is shoddy at best. The days you aren't logging there is a good chance you are consuming more food than you think, assuming that you're actually eating on those days. Also, eating so little protein is not doing your lean body mass any favors while trying to lose weight or even if you were trying to maintain weight.

Your BMR (basal metabolic rate) is around 1400. Chances are if you're actually eating less than this and there's no other medical conditions that come into play, you will be losing weight. My guess is you aren't actually eating less than that. Factor in your workouts that you listed, if you're consuming less than around 1900 calories then you should be losing weight.

Follow this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Try it out for a few weeks and if you're not noticing any changes, see a doctor.

If you're truly having difficulty eating a larger volume of food, pick more calorie dense items like cheese, peanut butter, whole milk, etc. to fill your calorie goal. You are at a healthy weight, now is a great time to eat at maintenance calories, get adequate protein, strength train with little to no cardio and work on body recomposition.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above. If you were truly burning more calories that you were eating, you would be losing weight, so assuming no medical conditions, you are either 1) eating more calories than you think, 2) not burning as many calories through exercise as you think, or 3) both.

If you start accurately weighing and logging your food, you will know exactly how many calories you are consuming, and you might be surprised to find that you're eating more than you thought. Logging your food also lets you track your macros so you can see where the nutrient deficiencies are in your diet.

For exercise calorie burns, don't rely on the MFP estimates, or what the screen on the gym equipment says (unless you are hooked up to a heart rate monitor). These are worked out using an algorithm for the "average" person, but really there is no such thing as the average person. In fact most people find them to be way off! A better way to track calories burnt is to get a heart rate monitor that works out your calorie burns based on your heart rate. These aren't entirely accurate either but better than nothing.

And if you are doing all this and still not losing weight, then get a check up from your doctor.
  • Polarpaly05
    Polarpaly05 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You could try cutting down all that cardio and go for HIIT training instead. Also are you eating a lot of carbs? I find I am very carb intolerant and have to keep them to a minimum, no bread or flour based products, potatoes, rice, cereals ( except oatmeal). If you can't get your cals up or above 1,200, which with all that work you probably need 1375+, try having a handful of raw almonds and a piece of fruit as a snack. I just had 12 almonds and a green pear = 177 cals and it doesn't fill you up too much :O) Don't give up
    Also 1200 cals is a very small amount for your height/weight and the amount of working out you are doing. it is quite likely that if you are being accurate with your food log that you are consuming so few calories that your body has gone into 'starvation mode' and is hanging on to every last bit of energy(fat) it can as it thinks you are 'starving'. Less is not always best

No. :noway: Stop spreading this myth.