Fighting Perimenopause

Options
Hello Everyone!
I decided to join to form an army against perimenopause! I feel that I am loosing some battles(recent muffin top, horrible 3 day headaches and a lot crabby) but refuse to loose the war! I believe diet and exercise is the answer but would like to do this with all that are feeling the same! I look forward to everyones comments.

Replies

• joyblaylock
    joyblaylock Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    That is probably what officially catapulted me into this forum a year and a half ago. I felt I was definitely losing the battle and didn't want to lose the war. So, I can honestly say this place helped me turn things around and I am 30lbs lighter and much more active and feel great. So, welcome and know that this is a huge first step.
  • shawnsysco
    shawnsysco Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for your support. I truly appreciate it!
  • melssyl
    melssyl Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm with ya girls... they do call me "evil woman" when the angery moods kick in..
    I was feeling frumpy and grumpy ... been working out almost daily since June 1 and
    have lost 13 lbs... working on loosing 15 more... I know that will really help me feel
    more health and better in general. Need energy to play with the Grandbabies!! :)
    Looking forward to the journey...
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Check out bodylogicmd it is very informative about the change that we have to endure! I met with a Dr in Wyoming and he started me on estrogen/progesterone that are made to fit YOUR body, these are made pretty much naturally so we can balance out , They have worked awesome for me, I was 49 when I went to see him and my hot flashes were soooo bad and the anxiety was extreme, after two weeks the hot flashes are nearly obsolete and I can now feel rested!! I feel sane now LOL!!!! I just did another blood/saliva test to see if I need to up my hormone supplements and should here back shortly!! This has saved me, I swear!!!
    vhuber
  • shawnsysco
    shawnsysco Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    vhuber- I'ts been a while but I am back. You are right about the natural estrogen/progesterone. I started on it too along with natural thyroid medication. I can't believe how much better I am doing. I honestly feel like I can tackle my weight and stay on track!
  • aer71367
    aer71367 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello! My name is Angela and I too am fighting with perimenopause! I either feel exhausted all day long, only to not be able to sleep during the night! And don't even get me started on my monthly cycle, or should I say the monlhty/weekly/daily/not at all cycle!
    Luckily, I haven't gained a lot of weight, but I feel like I'm losing my mind.
  • Magdaloonie
    Magdaloonie Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah. Me too and it purely sucks.
  • EyeHensley
    EyeHensley Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Well, looks like ya'll just described what is tormenting ME!

I feel like the last few months I've been losing my mind. My grandson died almost 2 years ago and since then I've gained about 50 pounds. And now of course it's brutal trying to lose it. I would love to be inspired by you all.
  • abaumann123
    Options
    I am in full blown menopause now. I still have hot flashes and night sweats! You honestly do feel like you are losing your mind. Thank goodness by husband is so understanding (I see him giving me funny looks every now and again). That's when I realized I just about snapped off his head for now reason what-so-ever. I have gained approximately 50 pounds since starting the whole menopause and am now struggling to lose it as well. I am confident we can all win this war! :)
  • grace_b_t
    Options
    Hi ladies, I just joined the forum this evening. I've gained a good 28-30 lbs since 2010 and definitely very soft and squishy around the middle and thighs. I've always been very active, long brisk walks, running, healthy eating. Don't smoke, drink or eat rubbish yet I'm big (just over 11 stone & and 5'1", size 14).

I started using MFP back in January and after 4 weeks I'd only lost 5 lbs (yes it's THAT stubborn) and I was brisk walking & jogging for over an hr nearly every day and being rigid with my calorie intake (as calculated).

Over the past month I've been I'll, now with incessant cough and I moved house last Saturday so you can imagine my stress levels.

I'm feeling the need to get back on board again but getting and staying motivated is so difficult especially as it takes a long time and hard work just to lose a couple of pounds (definitely peri-menopausal). I'm 52 and been going through this process since I turned 40 and I'm still going through it so I really empathize with those who struggle with severe body changes. The weight doesn't come off in the same way as it did in my younger days and exercising (brisk walking, jogging and yoga) barely makes an impact. If I stop ( like I have the past month) it virtually goes on over night.

So, there you have it. The exciting journey of menopause...... Yeaaaa, what fun!!!

Grace :-)
  • wpwarrior88
    wpwarrior88 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Are you ladies using any supplements for relief? I saw my Dr. on Tue and typically she is fabulous, but this time her only suggestion of help was birth control! Granted I know there have been so many improvements, but I haven't been on BC since '91 and quit those from bad results; weight gain, mood swings - the stuff I am battling now!

I have the Pause and am trying to re-read it, to figure out a new supplement routine for me.

Exhaustion is my biggest thing right now. It is sapping my motivation to do anything! I'd appreciate any suggestions!
  • Becre8tive
    Becre8tive Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I am in perimenopause as well. They call it "the change" I wish somebody would tell me what I am changing into :-)
  • wpwarrior88
    Options
    Becre8tive - use it as a launching pad to do whatever it is you've always wanted to do but never have. Then when people are amazed, tell the it is the result of your "change"! LOL

BTW - I am so using this!
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I doubt they'll answer since this thread is from 2009................:noway:
  • wpwarrior88
    Options
    Yep, but I saw a couple posts from March, just hoping some fresh blood with revive it! LOL No harm in trying, right!
  • BluenoserGal
    BluenoserGal Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm all up for re-opening this thread. peri is what has kicked my *kitten* back here -- i've always been big, but damn, where did this muffin top come from!?! OY and the bloating and the irregular periods.... between the dry skin and the raging, I don't know who I am anymore.

Please feel free to add me and we can support/commiserate.

Supplements? Am all natural right now -- Evening Primrose, St. John's Wort and black cohosh, along with Calcium, Iron, & Multivitamin.

Take care ladies, we'll get through it!
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm praying for menopause! I've had enough! lol Good nutrition will certainly help!! Sending FR now :)
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm all up for re-opening this thread. peri is what has kicked my *kitten* back here -- i've always been big, but damn, where did this muffin top come from!?! OY and the bloating and the irregular periods.... between the dry skin and the raging, I don't know who I am anymore.

Supplements? Am all natural right now -- Evening Primrose, St. John's Wort and black cohosh, along with Calcium, Iron, & Multivitamin.

I just realized this thread is 5 yrs old! lol!!
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    You are in the right place! So many of us are committed to fitness even when our bodies are doing their own things! I was able to lose 20 pounds of perimenopausal weight here on MFP.
  • BluenoserGal
    BluenoserGal Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I just realized this thread is 5 yrs old! lol!!

Yes, but we are re-opening it. :-D