Tiredness is the enemy

Options
Sleep is probably the best thing for weight loss/control. When I am tired I want to eat for comfort. The body confuses the signals for more rest with making you want to eat for more energy. Has anyone noticed how nurses or shift workers have a tendency for being overweight? They are tired and eat for comfort. Just try and get more sleep. Not easy I know.

Replies

• cuddlyaries87
    Options
    that's so true..i'm a medical student..i'm always so tired and hungry..i only have a few minutes to rest and i chose eating rather than sleeping all the time..i'm always so scared that i'll oversleep..
  • my2loves04and06
    Options
    I believe it. I work nocs @ a hospital and luckily I pack my food. Otherwise I'd be snacking all night long! That being said, I would definitely choose sleep over food if given the option.
  • randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read my status messages. Sooooooo sllllleeeeepppppppyyyyyy! And coincidentally so hungry. Luckily there was an apple nearby so I felt no need to order from one of the only two options available that late at night: Pizza or Chinese.
  • wtbyerdocmd
    Options
    I am and ER doc and work only nights after y last shift for the week I stay up all day to see my kids and try and re set my clock. I use that as my day to up my calories because it is so hard all I want to do is eat. That said yes when you are tired it is tough and I feel this is the factor holding me back from losing those last few pounds - but have to support the family so we keep doing our best!! I pack my food at work and that really does help its the day I am home and exhausted that gets me. I need a lock for the refridge lol
  • Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Also lack of sleep means your body doesn't get to release hormones that it only does when you're at certain levels of sleep. Those hormones are tremendously helpful in the battle to lose weight. Bottom line is you NEED 7 or more hours of sleep a night to get the full effect.

Example? All things being equal (food, exercise, etc.) except sleep, the weeks where I've had 2. 3 or more days when I've gotten at least 7 hours (YES that means going to bed before 9:30 for me, but you know what? I do it.) of sleep I've consistently had my highest weight losses. That's proof enough for me.

Get some sleep!
  • randyv99
    randyv99 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Not to mention that sleep is essential for muscle restoration. Actin, myosin and epinephrine can only go so far and do so much without a recharge.
  • chacaruso
    chacaruso Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I can relate!!!! Thank God I do sleep well but when tired, I just want to EAT!!!!
  • loxleys
    loxleys Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    right that's it i'm off to bed - to sleep off the hangover!
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    Oh! That is SO TRUE! When I'm tired I'm miserable and hungry!
  • scaryh
    Options
    very true, I have ME which means I'm tired about 75% of the time! and thats when I eat :o( am also too exhausted to exercise, but am trying to conquer that, wish me luck!
  • nonoark
    nonoark Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    You couldn't be more on target! I work grave and do not have real set days. I also go to Physical Therapy for 4hrs a day M/W/F adding to my 10-12hr work shift from the overnight. My body doesn't know weather it is coming or going when it comes to eating. I still try hard to pack the right stuff. Just glad to see it was not just me!
  • wtbyerdocmd
    Options
    Anybody read anything regarding eating days that you are up for long periods of time? I never know if I should up my calories those days or stretch my limit out over the 20 - 24 hours am up.
  • lilac01
    lilac01 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    If u have a hard time sleeping try exercising like 30 minutes before going to sleeep. Always works for me.
  • jonjoyner83
    Options
    Anybody read anything regarding eating days that you are up for long periods of time? I never know if I should up my calories those days or stretch my limit out over the 20 - 24 hours am up.

I would imagine you stretch out your caloric goal over the period you are awake. That way you are churning your metabolism. Also, staying up doesn't let your body go into the natural "fasting" you go through when you sleep....double wammy.
  • taletreader
    taletreader Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yup. I had 4 transatlantic flights since I joined and started tracking in October - London/Austin, TX, round trip and London/Fairbanks, AK, round trip. I sleep very badly on planes, and those (extended) days are my worst in calorie consumption, even though I was eating carefully. The following days partially make up for it, but still.