Too much protein?

Options
Is there such a thing as TOO much protein? I do a lot of high intensity cardio workouts- and like to lift, so I'm wondering if there is such a thing. For example today it says my protein intake is over by 20 grams. Thoughts?

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you mean by too much protein. Can you eat more than your body can use for muscle anabolism? Yes. I believe that you can only utilize ~30g of protein at a time for anabolism. However, you will still be able to digest and use as much as you eat for energy metabolism. While I have been focussing on losing weight, I have been eating 50% of my calories from protein (~225g/day).

Check out this video. It's by Layne Norton. He has a PhD in protein metabolism and really knows his stuff.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjmV8BlsJTQ

Allan
  • HoneydewLou
    Options
    Too much protein can cause constipation- personally I don't slam in the protein just because my digestion freaks out. I struggle with bloating from a can of chickpeas let alone actually meat products! I only have 10% of my daily calorie intake as protein.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Too much wuld probably be in the realm of 250+ grams/day over a period of time
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Eat your body weight in grams. Eating over that amount is not necessary. Simple. It won't hurt you, but it does nothing for you either.

That should read one gram per pound of lean body mass, or about 0.75-0.8 grams per pound of body weight. MFP sets protein goals too low, IMO. I get anywhere from 120-150 grams a day.
  • JessaLee1212
    Options
    Awesome, thanks everyone! Those numbers definitely seemed low :)
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    If you're eating at a caloric deficit or maintenance level, and you don't have kidney problems, then there's no real harm in it. It can be an expensive way to get calories, though.
  • daniellepryce5
    Options
    I will be over in protein by 4 after lunch, should I still drink my protein shake after I lift weights tonight? I lift every other day for 40 minutes so is it ok to consume more protein than people that do not lift.
  • tropicaltiger
    Options
    that was really a good question-I do lift and a protein drink after I lift for muscle recovery-but most of my protein I get from foods