Beginnings of plantar fasciitis and workouts

Options
I'm afraid I've got the beginnings of plantar fasciitis. It started hurting a bit Sunday and much more yesterday and today. I've used a frozen water bottle to roll along my arch, and I've been doing toe and calf stretches. I took a rest day yesterday and probably will again today.

My workouts are mostly strength training at the moment, but that does involve some leg lifts where I need to balance on one leg at a time. I'm definitely not going to zumba or any other cardio-intensive activity until this is resolved.

How easy would you take it until things get back to normal?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I don't know the answer to your question about how long to rest, but it took me insoles to start getting my PF under control. I'm also seeing a physical therapist (those calf raises are one of my prescribed exercises). For what it's worth, superfeet insoles are working well for me and I'm finally starting to see some improvement. I've continued my regular activity, plus physical therapist exercise and stretches, along with the water bottle and tennis ball massages. The only thing I'm not doing right now is running, which was the source of the issue in the first place. I still do other intensive cardio, as long as I'm using my insoles.

Best of luck - glad you're dealing with this now and don't hesitate to see a sports medicine doctor for a dx and PT referral if you've got the coverage for it.
  • oceanturquesa
    oceanturquesa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love to walk and thought my walking would come to an end after finding out I was suffering with PF. I had to get orthodicts which made a huge difference. I work on my feet all day and my feet no longer hurt. With orthodicts you can change them to whatever shoes you are wearing....It's like changing insoles from shoe to shoe. I also do foot stretches first thing in the morning. This was the only way I could get some relief. Good Luck....I know the pain you are going through.
  • hadorc01
    hadorc01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you have never used KT tape (Kinesiology Tape) it does wonders for my husband's PF. We order it off of amazon for about 10$ a roll, and you can wear it in the shower. If you apply the tape properly, it will last about 4 days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mZUKNkMPG4
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    If you have never used KT tape (Kinesiology Tape) it does wonders for my husband's PF. We order it off of amazon for about 10$ a roll, and you can wear it in the shower. If you apply the tape properly, it will last about 4 days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mZUKNkMPG4

this! i loved my KT tape. And, LOVED all the colors! This worked for me along with what you are already doing. Also, look at your shoes & socks. I purchased socks for PF, pricey but worth it. I was training for the half marathon when this happened. I did all the above & I made it!

Good luck to you!
  • walkinthedogs
    walkinthedogs Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I love to walk and thought my walking would come to an end after finding out I was suffering with PF. I had to get orthodicts which made a huge difference. I work on my feet all day and my feet no longer hurt. With orthodicts you can change them to whatever shoes you are wearing....It's like changing insoles from shoe to shoe. I also do foot stretches first thing in the morning. This was the only way I could get some relief. Good Luck....I know the pain you are going through.

Agreed. Orthotics will help for sure and if you can stand wearing a night splint that helped mine tremendously, but they are more expensive and quite cumbersome. So start with orthotics and make sure you get good orthotics, like from Powerstep (not Dr. Scholl at grocery store). Powerstep are actually doc recommended and a little more pricey but worth it. Good luck, PF sucks.
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    bumping for advice
  • SillyC2
    SillyC2 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    The good news about PF is that you don't NEED to restrict your workouts - you can work out according to pain tolerance. If you understand what's going on, the damage is already done. The pain comes from the healing process.

Mine got really bad and I'm in physical therapy for it (I'm a distance runner) and my PT is trying to strengthen and increase the range of mobility in my injured foot.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Plantar fasciitis is often a permanent thing, but there are stretches and exercises that you can do to help alleviate symptoms. I used to have really bad heel pain until i started doing the "towel stretch" regularly and standing up on the front part of my foot, with my heels one inch off the ground, and holding for a minute at a time.

Also, get good shoes. Getting proper arch support can make all the difference. Avoid carrying heavy weight, whenever possible. Try to walk on grass instead of concrete whenever possible.

And the best things i did for my heel pain were eating more fruits and vegetables, and losing weight.
  • bzroost
    bzroost Posts: 1
    Options
    It is easiest to get over plantar fasciitis if you take action early. Otherwise it will usually get worse.

I had PF for over a year and tried many different things. I am a runner and gym rat, and I tried to ignore it at first but it got to the point that I had to do something. I tried physical therapy, podiatrist vist, night splints, custom inserts, and rest amongst other things. But when I got some orthotic sandals to wear around the house instead of going barefoot it started to improve right away. I'm not talking about really expensive custom ones; these are quite reasonable. Take a look at them at www.heelpainrelief.net.

Now I always stay in good quality shoes, and have found that over the counter orthotics work really well also. This tends to keep the PF away, although it will start to flare up occasionally if I start getting careless. This will pass, but you need to go on the offensive to battle it. Good luck !
  • Linda_9518
    Linda_9518 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Tape, towel, stretching, orthotics and everything everyone said above.

I started feeling it again a month ago and didn't stop working out. I simply changed from the treadmill to doing stationary cycling for a week. What helped me, and everyone is different, is this: I bought a very hard ball (tennis ball size) made especially for that and put it under my desk at work. Every chance I got, I rolled my foot on it for a few minutes and it seemed to have helped immensely and subsided. Last bout I had lasted over a year, so I was thrilled that it only lasted a week this time around! Also, do not wear any un-supportive footwear, like bedroom slippers etc. Always make sure your arch is supported. I threw all the "bad" footwear away!