Body Pump

Options
Good morning all

Today I am off to the gym for my first class in Body Pump, which involves exercising with light weights in time to music, so I guess it's kind of an aerobic thing too.

Question

How am I going to calculate calories burned with this? I am 20 st 1lb

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated

:)

Replies

• thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Id use "calisthenics, vigourous" that provided you go vigourous
  • nikifavorido
    nikifavorido Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Id use "calisthenics, vigourous" that provided you go vigourous

Oh I did!!! Vigourous all the way! lolol

Thoroughly enjoyed it and looking forward to going back next week if I can get in, as the classes are pretty much fully booked each week. I had a chat with the instructor afterwards and she said, in a typical class of one hour you can burn upto 800 cals!!!!
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    ....when I searched the database it comes up with an option for body pump?

And it burns more in the region of 300kcals per hour....

I used to do a class a week, until I knocked it on the head as the class gets a bit mad (as in far to busy)
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Yup, search body pump and it should pop up. According to the calculator here, I burn 250 calories/65 minutes. I can't imagine burning 800! I'd rather underestimate than overestimate and eat back too many calories.
  • hedowl7
    hedowl7 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love Body Pump! The pain after the sessions for the first few weeks is more than worth it - I have lost 9% body fat from doing one session a week, 2 gym sessions and calorie watching. I type in 'Body pump' and it comes up - around 400 cals an hour.
  • bornofthorns
    bornofthorns Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    This may be helpful: http://www.lesmills.com/files/globalcentral/Agents/Research/Program Research/BODYPUMP Research Report.pdf

Check out the executive summary and do some math (probably going up or down 10% based on your body type)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    its definitely falls in line with "cardio" vs "weight training"

so I could see anything in the 250-500 range depending on your body type and energy 'input' to the class.
  • Zazoufit2014
    Zazoufit2014 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5'' 145 and my HRM says I burn 380 calories by session of Bodypump :)
  • nikifavorido
    nikifavorido Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies and help :) I enjoyed the class yesterday and today, despite everyone telling me 'boy are you gonna hurt the day after' I feel really good.. so (a) I either didn't put enough effort in yesterday in which case I need to up the weights, or (b) I did a really good cool down and drank plenty of water. Instructor was surprised it was my first time as apparently I took to it really well. Looking forward to next week now :)
  • EolAcalia
    EolAcalia Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies and help :) I enjoyed the class yesterday and today, despite everyone telling me 'boy are you gonna hurt the day after' I feel really good.. so (a) I either didn't put enough effort in yesterday in which case I need to up the weights, or (b) I did a really good cool down and drank plenty of water. Instructor was surprised it was my first time as apparently I took to it really well. Looking forward to next week now :)

Or C - Soreness isn't an indication of a good workout, you only get sore if you are doing movements you aren't used to doing, lifting heavier weights won't make sore.