Motivated But Poor

Options
13»

Replies

• FireflyJay
    Options
    Also not to try & diminish your work ethic or ability to make money but have you considered if you break off said relationship that you could apply for financial assistance (food stamps, temporary assistance?)...just wondering, sorry if I seem too nosy.

When this relationship is over, I plan on going back to school part time. I know I could get food stamps, but I don't know about cash assistance? Is that something that's allowed if you're going to school? I don't know.

I don't think you're able to get food stamps or cash assistance for going back to school. The food stamps and any other social program goes off your work and poverty level but you can get grants for your schooling which take into account your personal living expenses such as rent, food etc.
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    a free meal, even if it has horrible macros, can still work. Just have lots of protein shakes (cheap!) to offset the major fat intake of free Mickey Ds
  • babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm a single mom on a low income, but we make it work, I buy alot of stuff in bulk, lentils and quinoa and stuff, and quite often the bulk place has a coupon, you have to really watch the prices though. I also found an asian supermarket, which has super, super, super cheap produce even in the off season, and I will still shop clearance racks. I don't eat alot of meat, and always ended up eating carbs so I am trying to shop sales/clearance on meat as well to try and get that protein back.
  • hopelesswritr
    Options
    I don't think you're able to get food stamps or cash assistance for going back to school. The food stamps and any other social program goes off your work and poverty level but you can get grants for your schooling which take into account your personal living expenses such as rent, food etc.

In Michigan, you can definitely get food stamps as a student if you don't live on campus. Which I would be unable to do given that I have dogs. Even if my schooling is completely free, that doesn't affect anything else. The ONLY other things that financial aid helps with paying for are travel expenses, school supplies, and "personal expenses" which means like shampoo and stuff.
  • ardawen
    ardawen Posts: 25
    Options
    I personally have been using a lot of coupons for dry or canned goods I have been using lately.

For cheap produce I work at my community garden during the growing season so i can have bunches of organic kale and such for next to no money.

I always plan out my meals for a week or so and go shopping based off that list, and find coupons based off that list. The only problem with couponing is that it's often for things like sugary drinks and stuff i don't eat, so be careful in that aspect.

I also have a bread machine and a crockpot and now make nearly all my own food at home. Beans and legumes cook awesome in the slow cooker while you're at work. I also like to search this site ( http://brokeassgourmet.com/ ) or watch shows on youtube about cheap cooking (things like Jamie Olivers Money Saving Meals)

Feel free to friend or message me because I've been in tight financial places before
  • FireflyJay
    Options

In Michigan, you can definitely get food stamps as a student if you don't live on campus. Which I would be unable to do given that I have dogs. Even if my schooling is completely free, that doesn't affect anything else. The ONLY other things that financial aid helps with paying for are travel expenses, school supplies, and "personal expenses" which means like shampoo and stuff.

That's good then. Just try to see what programs there are out there to help you.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    You have gotten some great advice about budgets and shopping and recipes. Shop sales. Avoid over processed/packaged food that is often more expensive and not always very healthy. Etc. Etc. Etc.

My daughter just turned 21 yesterday, and she looks a little like you. Since you included the boyfriend into the mix I cannot help but put my Mom hat on. Please hear the following with the kindness I intend. Is he on the same page you are? It is not healthy for you to stay in a relationship that you see as ending, especially if you are staying because you cannot financially afford to end the relationship. Of course there are a lot of horrible reasons for staying with someone when you know you should leave, but you really don't want to set this pattern for yourself.

Can you get another part time job? Can you move in with some girlfriends? Family?

The relationship is part of the package and if moving back to MI is in your future, perhaps sooner is better than later.

Enough. Best of luck to you.
  • Stacey3bernier
    Options
    Hi there! I just started a few days ago and wanted to respond to your post because I am a yo-yo dieter. This time around I feel that I am ready to change my mind set and stay thin. When you have that break at McD's, think to yourself which is more satisfying? The tasted of the greasy food, or being thin and sexy? That's what I keep thinking which makes me reach for the healthier food. I love French fries and burgers and was truly tempted last night when I went through the drive through for my family but that is exactly what I thought to myself and being thin and sexy won the battle. I went home and had a grilled chicken salad with a side of baby carrots. Filled me up! :). I wish you all the luck in the world!
  • hopelesswritr
    Options
    You have gotten some great advice about budgets and shopping and recipes. Shop sales. Avoid over processed/packaged food that is often more expensive and not always very healthy. Etc. Etc. Etc.

My daughter just turned 21 yesterday, and she looks a little like you. Since you included the boyfriend into the mix I cannot help but put my Mom hat on. Please hear the following with the kindness I intend. Is he on the same page you are? It is not healthy for you to stay in a relationship that you see as ending, especially if you are staying because you cannot financially afford to end the relationship. Of course there are a lot of horrible reasons for staying with someone when you know you should leave, but you really don't want to set this pattern for yourself.

Can you get another part time job? Can you move in with some girlfriends? Family?

The relationship is part of the package and if moving back to MI is in your future, perhaps sooner is better than later.

Oh dear, yeah, this is definitely not a pattern-type situation. This is a first and only time deal. My mom has gotten herself into these situations millions of times, and I know better than to fall into it as a constant thing. The sad thing, is that I couldn't get another part time job even if I wanted to. I just don't have the time to take one on. Especially not if I plan on going back to school.

None of my family talks to me currently because of some nasty rumors that went around a few years back, so unfortunately, nobody there has got my back, and all of my friends live on campus! It's a very precarious situation that has me hesitant to make ANY decision without a huge amount of research and care.
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options

Oh dear, yeah, this is definitely not a pattern-type situation. This is a first and only time deal. My mom has gotten herself into these situations millions of times, and I know better than to fall into it as a constant thing. The sad thing, is that I couldn't get another part time job even if I wanted to. I just don't have the time to take one on. Especially not if I plan on going back to school.

None of my family talks to me currently because of some nasty rumors that went around a few years back, so unfortunately, nobody there has got my back, and all of my friends live on campus! It's a very precarious situation that has me hesitant to make ANY decision without a huge amount of research and care.

This makes me a more than a little sad. I am sorry that you don't have the support of your family. 53 talking to 20: do not underestimate how slippery patterns are. They often become a pattern before you realize it. Goes for good ones and bad ones. Gonna send you a friend request. Accept or not, either is okay. But maybe we could talk some more by message and get this thread back to your budget and food. :)
  • Stenkler
    Stenkler Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have a similar issue. I have a small budget to feed a family of four on. It can be done however! Check out the following link: http://www.rippednfit.com/nutrition/the-40-college-diet/

Now some of the prices are out of date but you will get the idea. The thing is, you have to cook. Healthy food is not so much more expensive if you buy frozen fruits and veggies, but they do take more time to prep. I make ends meet by buying most of my groceries from Aldi. Not sure if you have one of those.