New here :)

Options
Just joined a couple days ago and it's awesome so far! I've been trying to lose weight for awhile with no luck so I'm hoping this will work I have about 30 lbs to lose! Anyone have any tips? :)

Replies

• omgcherrybomb
    Options
    Yes, Try the Atkins diet. I've been on in for 2 weeks and i've already lost 13lbs.
  • Kristi443
    Kristi443 Posts: 14
    Options
    Great, thanks! Congrats on the weight loss! I've heard of it, but never tried it. I'm kind going through a phase of researching and wanting to try out things that will work. I'll check it out! :)
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My advice:

Dont do diets that restrict anything! Dont do fad diets! Dont take magical pills! If you are serious log all your food honestly! If it enters your mouth log it. Even if its a bite. Lower your calories realistically. Exercise! Even if its a 5 min walk something is better than nothing. I started at 200 pounds approx. I was afraid to step on a scale. Lost about 20 just from exercise (walking). Then I joined MFP. Im now 126 pounds and 5'6" tall. Im going on 42 and have 3 kids. If you think it takes restricting food think again. I ate pizza, ice cream, potatoes, rolls, candy and normal everyday foods! It takes perseverance and will power. Its not a fad or a flash in the pan its a new way of life for the rest of your life. If you want to do it you will suceed! Good luck and welcome :flowerforyou:
  • Janay333
    Janay333 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My best advice is to measure your food & log everything. "diets" don't work in the long run. I think what is great about using MFP is that it helps you be honest with yourself & you can go back & see where you've gone right or wrong.
  • Kristi443
    Options
    Wow angel7472! Congrats on all you've accomplished and thank you so much for the advice. I'm am absolutely serious and I will add honestly. I go to the gym three times a week for at least an hour and I've started doing things like taking the stairs instead of the elevator. I did think that you had to restrict what you ate, knowing that I can keep some of my fave foods helps a lot! I'm hoping with MFP it will be easier for me to keep tabs on everything so that I can stay on track and lose. Thanks again!

Janay333, thank you too. That does seem like a great thing about it being so detailed. That was one thing that I worried about, a diet working and then as soon as I lose the weight gain it right back. I'm definitely not looking to do that and I do think that a healthier lifestyle is better in the long run anyway.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    My advice:

Dont do diets that restrict anything! Dont do fad diets! Dont take magical pills! If you are serious log all your food honestly! If it enters your mouth log it. Even if its a bite. Lower your calories realistically. Exercise! Even if its a 5 min walk something is better than nothing. I started at 200 pounds approx. I was afraid to step on a scale. Lost about 20 just from exercise (walking). Then I joined MFP. Im now 126 pounds and 5'6" tall. Im going on 42 and have 3 kids. If you think it takes restricting food think again. I ate pizza, ice cream, potatoes, rolls, candy and normal everyday foods! It takes perseverance and will power. Its not a fad or a flash in the pan its a new way of life for the rest of your life. If you want to do it you will suceed! Good luck and welcome :flowerforyou:

^^^^^ This says it all (from someone who did atkins and gained it all plus more back i can say it worked but didn't last)
    counting/measuring/weighing and logging everything will help make the lifestyle change
  • 3P0X
    3P0X Posts: 302
    Options
    A hearty welcome to the site...a new you....and a new life :smile:
    large.jpg
  • LaLaLovely76
    LaLaLovely76 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! And welcome to MFP!!!
  • LaLaLovely76
    LaLaLovely76 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My advice:

^^^^^ This says it all (from someone who did atkins and gained it all plus more back i can say it worked but didn't last)
    counting/measuring/weighing and logging everything will help make the lifestyle change

I so agree. I went vegetarian/vegan back in 2011, shed 35 pounds very quickly and gained most of it back. I am now doing it the correct way (I still live a mostly vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, I usually only eat meat 2-3 times per week) by consistent exercise, and charting down EVERYTHING I eat. So far, I've lost 13 pounds! It's slow and steady...the way it's supposed to go for effective weight loss. Good luck and Congrats on your new journey! You can do it!
  • dgonzalez36
    dgonzalez36 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck on your journey!! If you want you can add me and we can motivate each other :smile: I've been on here on & off I think for 2 yrs? The first time was really awesome, I lost 20 lbs I was exercising daily at home and measured and weighed everything religiously. My advice is, when you lose weight and start getting compliments, don't stop doing what you're doing, don't let it get to your head. THat's what happened to me and I stopped completely, lost motivation and got lazy. Next think I knew I had gained it all back and 50 more with my pregnancy. So, when you start seeing the difference don't stop! It'll be hard but worth it in the end!
  • boshka74
    boshka74 Posts: 23
    Options
    Agree with the previous post track what you eat, get a little exercise in and set realistic goals.

You don't have to lose it all at once you didn't put it all on at once after all.

I would say don't go all out at once work your way into it. Lower your calories to a healthy level and start with a little exercise. Walking a mile or two twice a week and after a couple weeks up it a bit add another day or add some more distance. Add other exercises, but just don't feel you have to do it all right now.

Take your time and you will hit your goal for sure.
  • babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm a newbie too with about 20 pounds to lose to start, although it has always seemed impossible with MFP I think things are looking up already! I love that I can track what I am eating and see where I need to change, I'm trying low carb but not specifically following any diet. Feel free to add me!
  • hadorc01
    hadorc01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • Kristi443
    Options
    Thanks to all for the welcome and advice! The support is very welcome and appreciated. I'm new to 'seriously' trying weight loss. I now realize that I've given half efforts in the past at best. I wish you all luck with reaching your goals as well and to all other new arrivals to MFP welcome!! :)
  • chaivind
    chaivind Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    also have a look at C25K, it's a program to go from couch potato to running 5Kilometers in 9 weeks (a little over 3 miles)
    not easy but designed to be progressive so it is very achievable
    and the only real investment is really a decent pair of running shoes (you can spend more on clothes but I think most people have something they could run in for a while until they get committed