2 hours of Cardio-need to know if I'm on track!

Options
OK, so I do approximately two hours of cardio a day now (just started this week) not all together, in 15-20 minute intervals every hour using a Pedal exerciser under my desk. I try to eat back some of my exercise calories, but I'm just not that hungry! lol! I know I need to add some weights to tone my arms, but this is my first week with the added cardio, so I want to get used to that first. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I'm on the right track. Need to lose 65-70lbs by October.

45852634.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    A pedal exerciser is for old people in nursing homes.
    '
    If you want to lose 10 lbs per month for the next 7 months, you'd better get moving.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    2 hours of cardio a day is a little much but I would do something other than a pedal exerciser under your desk. You need something that works your entire body, like walking, running, etc.

I would add some weight lifting to the mix.

Edited because I can't spell.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    '
    If you want to lose 10 lbs per month for the next 7 months, you'd better get moving.

:laugh:
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're off to a good start. Maybe a little low on the calorie intake, but if you feel OK (not run down, not starving), I'd say go with it for now.

Don't know much about pedal exercisers, but any exercise is better than no exercise. Might want to try something a bit more full-body down the road, but one step at a time.

2.5 pounds a week is awfully aggressive. Not saying it can't be done, but don't get bummed out if you lose slower than that.

Food looks to be a bit biased towards the high-fat, processed stuff. Not saying to cut it out, but I'd try to add some veggies or fruit to the mix. Heck, even a salad with the rest of your lunch would be a good place to start. Or you could try smoothies (green or not, matter of preference).
  • jenicejinxedmonds
    jenicejinxedmonds Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If I had time for something else I would! i try to walk on weekends, I also have 3lbs weights at my desk, I just figured any exercise is better than none! I work at a desk 8 hours a day, full time student, 6 kids, time is pretty hard to come by! lol!
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I have to agree - I can't see a pedal excerciser raising your heart rate enough to be doing you any benefit other than keeping you awake during the day. You need to sweat - sweat during exercise is a signal that your body is doing work and therefore generating heat and needs to be cooled.

Try walking during your lunch break - get your heart rate up!

cheers
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    2 hours of cardio a day is a little much but I would do something other than a pedal exerciser under your desk. You need something that works your entire body, like walking, running, etc.

I would add some weight lifting to the mix.

Edited because I can't spell.

I agree with this. Personally, If I was just starting out and was pushing myself to do 2 hours of cardio a day...I might make it two weeks before I quit. It does not have to be that hard. I'd start with walking and add some bodyweight training exercises for your muscles. Put your weekly weight loss goals in MFP and let it tell you your calories to consume. Be accurate with logging, measuring you food etc. You don't have to kill yourself to do this. :) Good luck to you!
  • jenicejinxedmonds
    Options
    Looks like you're off to a good start. Maybe a little low on the calorie intake, but if you feel OK (not run down, not starving), I'd say go with it for now.

Don't know much about pedal exercisers, but any exercise is better than no exercise. Might want to try something a bit more full-body down the road, but one step at a time.

2.5 pounds a week is awfully aggressive. Not saying it can't be done, but don't get bummed out if you lose slower than that.

Food looks to be a bit biased towards the high-fat, processed stuff. Not saying to cut it out, but I'd try to add some veggies or fruit to the mix. Heck, even a salad with the rest of your lunch would be a good place to start. Or you could try smoothies (green or not, matter of preference).

The food, yeah, I try to find fresh salads, hard where I work! But I do have yogurt, and normally have at least grapes or baby carrots. but yes, I will try to cut it out! I'm ok with losing less, losing anything is good for me! Thanks everyone BTW for the advice! I'm trying! lol!
  • bradXdale
    bradXdale Posts: 399
    Options
    If I had time for something else I would! i try to walk on weekends, I also have 3lbs weights at my desk, I just figured any exercise is better than none! I work at a desk 8 hours a day, full time student, 6 kids, time is pretty hard to come by! lol!

Have you looked into Focus T25?

It's a decent program through BeachBody which people have had massive success with

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/focus-t25-workout.do

On the flip side it's expensive but if you're a bit computer savvy you can download it via ThePirateBay...it's how I've gotten a lot of my fitness books, cookbooks and workout videos.

(NOT TRYING TO SELL OR BS ANYONE INTO ANY PROGRAMS FYI)
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    2 hours of cardio a day is a little overkill, try incorporating lifting.....it works!
  • jenicejinxedmonds
    Options
    I'm going to have to try that! maybe if I can get up earlier, I'll be able to work out then.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Need to lose 65-70lbs by October.

Instead of worrying about losing X amount by X date you should focus on things you can control. Like eating more fruits and vegetables, eating more lean protein, sticking to your calorie goal and getting active. If you set goals by things you have control over you'll be more successful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1219272-goal-setting
  • jenicejinxedmonds
    Options
    Good advice! Thanks!
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options

Take your hand weights and start doing squats in the bathroom, then add some bicep and tricep stuff as you're walking in the hallway to and from the bathroom.

Also 30 Day Shred is free online and it only takes 27 minutes. Get some 5 lb hand weights. Get your kids involved too, make it a family adventure. Or have them cheer you on when you want to stop. You can find some Zumba workouts and they would be fun to do with your kids too. Teach them good habits now.

I have no answer for the processed food. I eat a lot of frozen veggies that I can steam and I'm lazy so I buy fruit that is already cut up. I eat more processed stuff than I should though.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Need to lose 65-70lbs by October.

Instead of worrying about losing X amount by X date you should focus on things you can control. Like eating more fruits and vegetables, eating more lean protein, sticking to your calorie goal and getting active. If you set goals by things you have control over you'll be more successful.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1219272-goal-setting

QFT
  • thesimsisters
    thesimsisters Posts: 73 Member
    Options

The food, yeah, I try to find fresh salads, hard where I work! But I do have yogurt, and normally have at least grapes or baby carrots. but yes, I will try to cut it out! I'm ok with losing less, losing anything is good for me! Thanks everyone BTW for the advice! I'm trying! lol!

I wouldn't worry to much about eating clean. I'm one of the "dirty" eaters around here and it's never affected my weightloss results. I throw in the better for you stuff here and there and do some healthier substitutions etc, but do not worry too much about it if weightloss is your goal.

I just want to say that I also work at a desk all day. I find breaks, and lunch to be great times to get in my steps for the day. I have a fitbit zip and it's been wonderful to see how active I am through the day. I supplement with some more active walking in the evening, but even laps inside the house would count. And I'm sure with 6 kids your doing a lot of chasing lol!
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    '

This is pretty rude. You don't anything about her health or fitness level. What if that is ALL she really could physically do? Moving is moving, most people sitting at their desks aren't trying to burn calories, at least it's a start, it's something.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

The easiest way to come by calorie deficit is through portion control. You don't have to do any exercise to lose weight.

That said, exercise is great for health & fitness goals. Strength training while eating at a deficit helps you lose mostly fat (instead of muscle & fat) .....but you need to eat enough too....or your body will use muscle for fuel if it's desparate enough. This is why really aggressive weight loss goals are typically not healthy....you end up with a high body fat %.

At work.............do you have a lunch hour (or half hour)......a real walk (carry some light weights with you).....swing your arms, find some hills, challenge yourself by walking briskly. I live in the midwest (snow!) ....I use an indoor walking DVD at my desk (Leslie Sansone)....great if you can close the door.

Re: strength....body weight exercises are great....push ups, squats, lunges. Do some squats or lunges every bathroom break. Wall or desk push ups.
  • jenicejinxedmonds
    Options
    My nerd is coming out! LOl! I"m writing all of this down! Going to work on a REAL schedule at home, when the weather breaks (Stupid Weather!) I'll walk on my breaks and lunch. I'm doing pretty good on keeping to calories right now, I guess I should throw in the healthy stuff! I'm pretty committed this time to losing the weight!
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options

Have you looked into Focus T25?

Another vote for T25 -- two months ago I would've sneered at a 25 minute workout as being a complete waste of time. After two months (just started the Gamma (3rd) round last week), I have to say I'm really impressed with the results. You can usually find some good deals on Craigslist.

I've heard some good buzz about P90x3 (another shortie workout), but I think it requires a bit more equipment than T25.