CHEAP and easy lunch ideas?

Options
So I'm currently battling my wonderful boyfriend in an argument as to whether it is cheaper for us to eat out every meal as opposed to buying groceries. He doesn't get that I have a 3 inexpensive options for healthy eating if I'm going to buy my food every day, and one can only eat so many salads and grilled chicken sandwiches before they kill themselves, or give in and order 3 Big Macs. That being said, does anyone have ideas for some quick-prep and CHEAP lunches that are good for taking to work? They must be cheap if I'm going to convince this crazy person that it doesn't cost most than buying food out everyday :D

Replies

• crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I make up batches of soup/chilli etc and freeze them. but do you have access to a microwave? x
  • LynzeNichole
    Options
    I make up batches of soup/chilli etc and freeze them. but do you have access to a microwave? x

I do have access to a microwave so that would work
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Often, I will make extra food at dinner for the purpose of bringing it for lunch. Yesterday, I made a soup in the crock pot that I'll be able to eat off of for days... the most expensive thing about it was the 1lb of meat.
  • lorib75
    lorib75 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Breakfast burritos. You can make them up, wrap individually in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, then freeze. You can eat them for any meal, and you can add as many frozen veggies as you like. Top it off with salsa and you have a great inexpensive meal.

Cook chicken breast, black beans, and salsa in the crockpot overnight. In the morning shred the chicken and portion out into containers. Top with shredded lettuce and salsa at work for a quick "taco" salad. YUMMMMMMMMM
  • stephgetsfit2
    stephgetsfit2 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I buy a loaf of bread and a package of turkey or chicken breast slices and im good for lunch for a whole week.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Last night's leftover dinner. It's already paid for, and all you gotta do to prepare it is heat it up.

Your man is crazy. Eating at home is TONS cheaper. And a lot better for you.
  • iRun_Butterfly
    iRun_Butterfly Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest a huge pot of chili or beef barley soup or lentil soup.
    How about stir fry veggies with chicken or pork and a pot of rice, I do this a bit and could probably get 10 lunches out of one big bag of stirfry veggies ($5), 1 lb of chicken ($3) and two cups uncooked rice ($3) that's just over $1 or so per lunch. Doesn't get much cheaper.
    Hard cooked eggs, cheap and portable.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    So I'm currently battling my wonderful boyfriend in an argument as to whether it is cheaper for us to eat out every meal as opposed to buying groceries. He doesn't get that I have a 3 inexpensive options for healthy eating if I'm going to buy my food every day, and one can only eat so many salads and grilled chicken sandwiches before they kill themselves, or give in and order 3 Big Macs. That being said, does anyone have ideas for some quick-prep and CHEAP lunches that are good for taking to work? They must be cheap if I'm going to convince this crazy person that it doesn't cost most than buying food out everyday :D

You should know that women are always wrong.

How much does a chicken sandwich cost for you to make at home?

How much does the same chicken sandwich cost to buy out? Cheaper? The same sandwich, the same ingredients but the business are only going to charge you for the raw materials and not for the cooking, staff and business costs?
  • kstand0053
    kstand0053 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Buy fresh Salad or spinach-add a lean protein, chicken, tuna, or beans. Buy in bluck and save. Use salad vinegar instead of salad dressing.
    Peanut butter sandwhiches are yummy also, especially with a banna on it!
    Make tuna/chicken salad- (use common sense, and use healthy ingredients)
    Even though they are high in sodium, I find some lean cuisines are really tasty! And they are only 2.00 each.
  • crazybg101
    Options
    I buy soups like progresso or campbells. They are low calorie and a quick grab and go. Also, sandwiches or sometimes I like a hodge podge lunch, like a boiled egg, some cottage cheese and a veggie or something like that just to mix it up. Brown rice with chicken you could make the night before, add some veggies or whatever you like. Just some ideas that I like to make. :)
  • Dube11
    Dube11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Pack of tortillas - $2
    Pound of ham or turkey - $3
    Cheese - $2

$7 for a week or more of sandwiches.

That's the cost of one lunch when eating out.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Sounds like your bf just doesn't want to give up his Big Macs!! :tongue: It's simple maths to work out that you can buy enough ingredients to make sandwiches for a whole week with the same amount of money it costs to buy a cheeseburger!

Pasta salads - so many variations! Pasta is dead cheap, add some veggies, meat or cheese, a dressing, some salsa or some mayo if you like and bam.
    Couscous salads - I eat this a lot. I tend to make up a big bowlful of couscous on a Sunday evening and batch it up into takeaway containers to take to work with me for the rest of the week. I chuck in veggies, meat, feta cheese, olives, antipasti, or leftovers from dinner. Super easy and quick too.
    Leftovers from dinner the night before. No prep.
    Baked potatoes or sweet potatoes - Can either cook them at home and eat cold or reheat, or if you can forego a crispy skin, just microwave them at work. Eat with cheese, beans, chilli, coleslaw, etc.
    Sandwiches of course are super easy! Also wraps or pitta bread if you get bored of normal bread. Fill with whatever you like! I love tuna mayo or chicken.
    Hummous and crudites - raw veggies and a tub of hummous, easy peasy.
    Soups - if you have a microwave at work you can heat up when required, or heat at home in the morning and pour into a thermos flask to keep it hot. So many variations and super easy to make at home. Even if you bought ready-made soup at the supermarket it would still be cheaper than buying it out.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Last night's leftover dinner. It's already paid for, and all you gotta do to prepare it is heat it up.

Your man is crazy. Eating at home is TONS cheaper. And a lot better for you.

THIS.

On the rare occasion that I don't have leftovers, I'll pack tuna salad, toast, cheese, carrot sticks, chips and salsa...or a salad with grilled chicken. I also usually keep hummus, pita, cottage cheese, wasa crackers, string cheese, etc around for a quick meal. PB&J with veggies on the side works in a pinch. Most of the time, though, it's last night's dinner or last month's dinner pulled out of the freezer.

We don't buy cheap groceries - pastured meat from a local farmer, organic produce whenever it's affordable - and it's still eons cheaper to make our own meals. And a hell of a lot healthier and frankly, better tasting.
  • LynzeNichole
    Options
    Sounds like your bf just doesn't want to give up his Big Macs!! :tongue: It's simple maths to work out that you can buy enough ingredients to make sandwiches for a whole week with the same amount of money it costs to buy a cheeseburger!

Pasta salads - so many variations! Pasta is dead cheap, add some veggies, meat or cheese, a dressing, some salsa or some mayo if you like and bam.
    Couscous salads - I eat this a lot. I tend to make up a big bowlful of couscous on a Sunday evening and batch it up into takeaway containers to take to work with me for the rest of the week. I chuck in veggies, meat, feta cheese, olives, antipasti, or leftovers from dinner. Super easy and quick too.
    Baked potatoes or sweet potatoes - Can either cook them at home and eat cold or reheat, or if you can forego a crispy skin, just microwave them at work. Eat with cheese, beans, chilli, coleslaw, etc.
    Sandwiches of course are super easy! Also wraps or pitta bread if you get bored of normal bread. Fill with whatever you like! I love tuna mayo or chicken.
    Soups - if you have a microwave at work you can heat up when required, or heat at home in the morning and pour into a thermos flask to keep it hot. So many variations and super easy to make at home. Even if you bought ready-made soup at the supermarket it would still be cheaper than buying it out.

Those are great ideas! I love pasta salad, but isn't pasta really not the best thing to eat when eating healthier?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    left overs.

I can make chili for a week- lunch and dinner for about 20 bucks.

10" sammich and drink at WaWa is 7$... even just for lunch that's 35$

unless you are eating IF style and at places like WaWa, Quik Check or Sheetz- it's just not cheaper to eat out- it never is.
  • LynzeNichole
    Options
    You all are awesome!! Thank you!!
  • Carrot1971
    Carrot1971 Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Those are great ideas! I love pasta salad, but isn't pasta really not the best thing to eat when eating healthier?

Try to Whole Wheat pasta! I'm a carb freak...LOVE pasta. But the calories are unbelievable. So I started mixing half regular and half whole wheat.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    My favorite is either a salad with chicken or turkey or a wrap with chicken or turkey. You could also consider converting the foods that you would buy eating out and work on making a healthier/cheaper version. For example: big mac - make the burger at home and bring it all with you. Microwave the meat and add on the toppings. You have a lot more control over how many calories/ingredients go into it.
  • kill3rtofu
    kill3rtofu Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    chicken + anything