Toddler Temperature

Options
AJL_Daddy
AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
Does anyone know at what temperature a 2 1/4 year old should be seen by a doctor? My oldest is running quite the temp! thanks!

ETA: NOT seeing medical advice. Just too lazy to look up general guidelines as to what warrents a call.

Replies

• hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I would say that if it's high enough to worry you, then you need to take him/her to the doctor.
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My boss usually says that it's high enough to worry and it's not being controlled by OTC medication (Children's Tylenol, Chidren's Advil), bring them to the Docs.

*edit: Boss is a family GP. However, you know your kid best.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Call your toddlers pediatrician and ask. It's very specific to each child. Some have underlying health conditions, etc that make it a concern sooner. Also, your doc can tell you what to do to bring the temp down and at what point you should be freaking out and running to the er.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I want to say if it gets up to about 103 but can't quite remember. Give tylenol and a bath to lower body temp. Fevers are good, it's the body's way of fighting, but not when they get too high. You can always call the pedi to check but most likely they'll say to bring em in.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    You should probably call your pediatrician's office and ask them. I'm sure they're happy to give you some guidelines. :flowerforyou:
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think our pediatrician recommended 100.5. But call the office and talk to the nurse, instead of asking random internet people.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Please do not take medical advise for your children from any one other than their pediatrician. A fever is the bodies way of telling you something is wrong whether from teething or an infection or a virus. As a pediatric nurse for 22 years I have to say that you can never be too cautious when it comes to children.
  • KatieMae75
    KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    My boys used to spike random, high fevers. I was always told to see if Motrin and/or Tylenol would bring it down, and if it did, not to worry. They said if the fever wouldn't break, no matter what the temp, that's when it was time to go in. Motrin would usually knock the fever down, then after two hours I'd give Tylenol for maintenance until they could have another dose of Motrin. That said, you know your child. If your gut is telling you to take him in, then do it. A high fever can indicate a bacterial infection and he may need some antibiotics.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My doctor wants us to call when its 103.1 or higher. My youngest is 15 months anything less than that I am to call for tylenol dosage instructions.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Call your ped. We don't know your kid's medical history or other symptoms. Depending on what else is going on, your doc might tell you to come in if it's above 100 or might tell you not to worry unless it's 104 and fever reducers aren't helping. Really depends on your kid and a bunch of variables that we aren't privy to.
  • AnikaP81
    AnikaP81 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Just took my 2-year old, and 3-year old to the doc for their well child check yesterday. Paperwork said that if they have a fever over 102F take them in. Just my two cents :)

But I agree with others who have said, call the doc and ask :)
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    By and large, thanks.
  • TrishaLeighNelson
    TrishaLeighNelson Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    High 102. 103+ can cause seizures
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    for a toddler. 104 as long as there aren't any other symptoms.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    too lazy to look it up on the internet, but has time and inclination to post here? It takes about the same amount of time to check yourself. And honestly, calling your drs office is always the right way to go. They will let you know whether or not they want you to come in, they know your kids best, etc. Any number you get here is going to be up to the comfort level of the parent or the website the poster pulled it from. Not what I'd trust my children to, personally.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    We have a helpline in England we can call (NHS direct) and I have called on a few occasions in the evening when my kids have had temperatures. My son had a temp of 40 degrees (104 Fahrenheit) once, and they didn't seem concerned. Apparently it's normal for little ones to get high temperatures. I usually alternate calpol (baby paracetamol) and calpofren (baby ibuprofen) to bring a temperature down.

Obviously if you're concerned, go to your GP, or phone an out of hours service.
  • KTyler84
    KTyler84 Posts: 2
    Options
    For my 1 year old daughter, my pediatrician says a temp for her is 100.4. I give her tylenol, but if the fever doesn't break, I would definitely call the doctor. I call the doctor for everything since I am a first time mom.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know at what temperature a 2 1/4 year old should be seen by a doctor? My oldest is running quite the temp! thanks!

ETA: NOT seeing medical advice. Just too lazy to look up general guidelines as to what warrents a call.

Call the Dr. Please don't rely on the helpful advice of strangers :ohwell:

Edited to fix typo
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Call the doctors office or an ask a nurse number if your clinic has one and ask. Typically if your child has a fever but isn't lethargic you should be fine with giving the child some ibuprofen and keeping your eye on them. Any changes and you should call the doc.
  • KatiCoufal
    KatiCoufal Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    104. but try to give a mildly cool bath first