Chocolate Cravings

Options
I've completely changed the way I eat since the beginning of January and I gave up soda with no hiccups. I've also started jogging regularly (for 20 minutes), but I can never shake my chocolate craving. I've managed to fit a chocolate bar into my goals a couple times (like yesterday), but I'm wondering if any of you have any healthy alternatives to stop a chocolate craving. Is there some kind of healthier chocolate bar out there? (I know dark chocolate in general is better for you. I'm just asking for brand names...recipes...anything!)

Replies

• 3P0X
    3P0X Posts: 302
    Options
    How about dark chocolate? Doesn't have as much sugar
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I've completely changed the way I eat since the beginning of January and I gave up soda with no hiccups. I've also started jogging regularly (for 20 minutes), but I can never shake my chocolate craving. I've managed to fit a chocolate bar into my goals a couple times (like yesterday), but I'm wondering if any of you have any healthy alternatives to stop a chocolate craving. Is there some kind of healthier chocolate bar out there? (I know dark chocolate in general is better for you. I'm just asking for brand names...recipes...anything!)

You should be able to fit some of whatever you like into your day. Dark chocolate is healthier than milk or white, but whatever you like, in moderation, should be fine. You don't have to give up the things you like to eat at a calorie deficit. just eat less of them.
  • Workingonmyway
    Workingonmyway Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As long as you're fitting it in with your daily calories that's fine but I'd try dark chocolate! It's way better for you and it's so rich you don't need much to fulfill your craving.
  • Tealfor20
    Tealfor20 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Lindt 70% cocoa bar is great and very low on sugar... also Dove dark chocolate I like because it has only a few ingredients and is delicious!
    I think you can have a little chocolate every day, and enjoy it!
    I will say that when I cut sugar completely from my diet, after a few days the sugar cravings go away... thats a fact!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Lindt 70% cocoa bar is great and very low on sugar... also Dove dark chocolate I like because it has only a few ingredients and is delicious!
    I will say that when I cut sugar completely from my diet, after a few days the sugar cravings go away... thats a fact!

You can't cut sugar completely from your diet. It's a natural ingredient in many fruits and vegetables.
    and there's really no reason to do it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I lost 100 lbs in 2006-2008, and ate (very dark) chocolate and (sugar free) ice cream almost every day for most of that time. Life isn't worth living if you give up what you love.
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    You should be able to fit some of whatever you like into your day. Dark chocolate is healthier than milk or white, but whatever you like, in moderation, should be fine. You don't have to give up the things you like to eat at a calorie deficit. just eat less of them.

This
  • _db_
    _db_ Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate. Good thing it's actually a healthy food...unless it's closer to candy than cocoa. I'll eat any chocolate that is 80+% cocoa. I also eat cocoa nibs and cocoa paste. I regularly have dark chocolate cover cherries to satisfy my "candy" cravings. Those things I consider to be part of a healthy diet. I'll occasionally eat some candy that has a little cocoa in it, but I don't kid myself that it's anything other than nicely flavored sugar.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I have a single piece of dark chocolate as my last thing every day for staying with in my calories (38-50 calories depending on the chocolate).

My favorite is Dove dark chocolate promise with caramel and sea salt. 1 piece 38 calories. I make it last four small bites and let it melt in my mouth.

ALL things in moderation. This is a life style that you have to live with, so don't deny yourself the things you love.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options

Yes to that. Nothing off limits, but moderation is key. Also, Grissol Sweet thins Chocolate Brownie - not really a bar but it satisfies my craving for chocolate and only 80 calories per pkg of 2 thins. I always carry a pack or 2 in my purse just in case my hubby, my family or friends I'm with, want to stop for a snack while we're out. They'll usually opt for something rich like ice cream or cake, I just reach for my Sweet thins and I'm fine.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Just allow for it in your diet. Yes, dark chocolate is a healthier options so if you want to have a healthier sweet treat than some kind of candy bar, eat some chocolate with fruit. I like melting chocolate to make chocolate covered strawberries or chocolate covered frozen bananas.
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I eat 100 calories of DELICIOUS European Motzart type chocolate every night. I'm not going to waste calories on the crappy stuff. Otherwise life would be worth living.

That's it for added sugar though. I had a terrible sweet tooth and drank 54 ounces of diet cherry coke daily to ZERO! No sticky buns, no nothing else. Just my fine imported chocolate.

You should eat a LITTLE of what you crave because you are going to desire it after eating carrots anyway.
  • LynnJ18
    LynnJ18 Posts: 5
    Options
    Dianas dark chocolate covered frozen bananas are great. the chocolate is delicious, and theres just enough to curb any craving. The banana makes it a little more substantial/last a little longer.
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise everyone. Like I said in my first post, I know that dark chocolate is better. I was really just looking for what specific chocolate everyone enjoyed that's low in calories and sugar. I do plan on keeping chocolate part of my life now and always. This has given me a really good idea on what to keep an eye out for!
  • JoeMO
    JoeMO Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Fiber One has a bar that is good and filling. Nature Valley has a "protein" bar that is really good also.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advise everyone. Like I said in my first post, I know that dark chocolate is better. I was really just looking for what specific chocolate everyone enjoyed that's low in calories and sugar. I do plan on keeping chocolate part of my life now and always. This has given me a really good idea on what to keep an eye out for!

If it's good, real chocolate, it's not going to be low in sugar and calories lol, so just eat less of something else since chocolate is SO worth it. :D
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    28 M&M's = 100 cal
    16 chocolate animal crackers =130cal
  • lilmisfit1987
    lilmisfit1987 Posts: 183 Member
    Options

If it's good, real chocolate, it's not going to be low in sugar and calories lol, so just eat less of something else since chocolate is SO worth it. :D

True...so very true