High protein, low carb diets

Options
So I read somewhere that high protein and low carb diets are the way to go, along with regular exercise, to burn fat and gain muscle. I want to start that kind of diet next week and see how it goes, but I wanted to know of anyone has been incorporating high protein and low carbs on their diet, and has it been helpful/see results?

Also, I read approx. 58g of protein a day for men and 46g for women...can anyone confirm those numbers are true. Thanks and happy hump dayyyyy! ????

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    So I read somewhere that high protein and low carb diets are the way to go, along with regular exercise, to burn fat and gain muscle. I want to start that kind of diet next week and see how it goes, but I wanted to know of anyone has been incorporating high protein and low carbs on their diet, and has it been helpful/see results?

Also, I read approx. 58g of protein a day for men and 46g for women...can anyone confirm those numbers are true. Thanks and happy hump dayyyyy! ????

I would look at high fat / medium protein / low carb.

If your lifting or very active 1g of protein per 1lb of lean mass.

Also you can up your lean mass percentage and drop body fat - but you cannot build muscle on a calorie deficit (with a few exceptions, one being newbie gain - which will not be much).

Further more low carb diets tend to be a hot topic on these forums with a consistent bunch of haters - so good luck.

I'll just sit back and watch the show.

0020se3g
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options

Further more low carb diets tend to be a hot topic on these forums with a consistent bunch of haters - so good luck.

This is true. Prepare yourself for some snark - and maybe a few helpful answers.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    58g protein? do you weigh 60lbs? you want roughly .08-1g protein per pound of lean body mass. if you lift heavy and want to build muscle you need to be in that range. i tried low carb also, hated it. had no energy. im 5'9.5" 255lbs, my lean mass has been calculated at around 197-204lbs and my protein is 176g carbs 235g fat 78g, and i lift heavy 4-5 days a week. some days i feel great some a bit sluggish and on those days i just eat a little more. i couldnt imagine going on less protein and definitely not on less carbs.

im not hating on low carb, it works for some people. just not me.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

The protein value I'm going by is 0.7 g - 1 g protein daily per pound lean body weight. My goal works out to 90 g protein daily but that can be increased a bit.
  • Steezburt
    Steezburt Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone....hahah no I'm not 60 lbs lol but I'm trying out different variations of eating habits and trying to gain muscle so I've been trying to research what's the right portions of protein/carbs in order to effectively become a lean machine lol.

Thanks everyone!
  • DeltaJax
    DeltaJax Posts: 4
    Options
    Try this keto calculator, http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

should help
  • Steezburt
    Steezburt Posts: 23
    Options
    Try this keto calculator, http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

should help

Thanks DeltaJax!
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    The eat real food diet works. It just takes a lot more prep work. The daily trip to subway is no more...