Free weights vs. Machines vs. body weight

Options
I'm sure there are many of these topics floating around this message board, but i wanted to get your honest opinion on which one you feel is more beneficial to YOU. Not what people should be doing, but what YOU do and how you incorporate free weights, machines, or your body weight into your workout routine.

I know free weights are good for working muscles in your body that you didn't know you had, while machines focus on mainly the muscles that they are intended for and body weight, i heard, being the best weight you can use.

Share your thoughts :)

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    depends on your goals.

I like free weights and body weight- they are equally useful for strength training, bulking, linear progression.

I'm not a fan of machines at all- but they can serve a purpose- esp for older people- or people who are rehabbing. Or people who are visiting a gym that doesn't have a squat rack.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I found body weight and machine...When I am on the elliptical and it comes to the part where I have to paddle backwards, I will go down into a squat position and squat for 30 seconds (kind of look like pulse squats) and go back up for 30 seconds. It burns and I am just using my body weight. :)
  • 3P0X
    3P0X Posts: 302
    Options
    Free Weights tops as the range of motion is much better
  • jennalink807
    jennalink807 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm a long-distance runner, and the purpose of my strength training is to maintain muscle mass and help with my running. Only twice a week- one arms/back day, one legs day.

I do pushups, pull-ups, and chin-ups on arm day, then leg days are weighted-squats and dead-lifts. I keep it simple. Works for me. Takes me less than 20 mins for each routine, and I just tack it on to a lighter running day.
  • Steezburt
    Steezburt Posts: 23
    Options
    I'm a long-distance runner, and the purpose of my strength training is to maintain muscle mass and help with my running. Only twice a week- one arms/back day, one legs day.

I do pushups, pull-ups, and chin-ups on arm day, then leg days are weighted-squats and dead-lifts. I keep it simple. Works for me. Takes me less than 20 mins for each routine, and I just tack it on to a lighter running day.

Good stuff, hopefully one day I can enter for my first 5k...thanks for sharing!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    For me free weights>>>body weight>>>>>>machines.

But the stronger I get and the more weight I lose the less effect body weight exercises have.